To still hear nothing from John Lewis re job application?

(25 Posts)
Collardove Sat 23-Aug-14 22:51:55

Hi, AIBU (and impatient ) because I applied for a job with John Lewis two weeks ago today and still have not had an update?
I got through the online tests, and then it said my application has been successfully received. I have logged in every day to check my status... and nothing sad
Is that how it is these days applying for a job? I have been in my present job for 7 years now. So maybe this waiting is the norm?
Should I email the recruitment? Or AIBU and should just wait?
Thanks

AbsolutelyCrushed Sat 23-Aug-14 22:55:38

I don't know about John Lewis in specific, but it's becoming rarer to hear back at all unless they want to take your application further.

With big companies like JL, I believe they collect applications and sift through them quarterly, before holding mass interviews. If you don't get through to that, you are unlikely to hear back. If you do, it might be in a few months when the next drive is being planned.

Collardove Sat 23-Aug-14 22:59:20

Oh how depressing is that AbsolutleyCrushed?
It's taken me a lot of courage to look for a new start after many years with my current employer.
It's quite disheartening not to hear anything sad

MBT1987 Sat 23-Aug-14 23:11:23

It's becoming more and more common for companies to not bother replying to unsuccessful applicants, even when they promise to interview everyone. I've had this happen to me a few times before.

I really do wonder about the professional ethic of companies that lie on their "we're hiring" pages.

Drop them a line and ask when they're starting the next stage of the job application process. If they say they already have, ask for feedback. If you're already out of the running, may as well be persistent and get constructive criticism.

Collardove Sat 23-Aug-14 23:19:23

Thanks MBT1987. I will give it another few days and email them.
Never mind me thinking AIBU - more I am obviously out of touch with the job applying processes now...

Spickle Sat 23-Aug-14 23:36:21

Just to make you feel better, I applied to John Lewis in July 2013, didn't hear anything so assumed I was unsuccessful. Then two months later I was invited to a group interview some two weeks after that ( now October), but had to do an online assessment prior to interview. Apparently they like to interview around 16 people all in one go (group tasks etc) so have a date once every couple of months for interviewing. If you can't do the date, you have to wait for the next recruitment day.

Collardove Sat 23-Aug-14 23:42:43

Spickle smile that gives me a little hope then thanks!

SnookyPooky Sun 24-Aug-14 08:03:15

I applied online to TUI on 26th June and have heard nothing. Worse is that on the 18th June they had me in for an 'informal chat' about the position before it was formally advertised on their website (they had my CV from a previous application)
So over 9 weeks ago now, I don't think I will be hearing from them.....very bad form and not what I was expecting from the biggest tour operator in Europe.

londonrach Sun 24-Aug-14 08:14:50

2 weeks isn't that long. Wait another week but do agree a lot if firms don't let you know now which is rude

pinkdelight Sun 24-Aug-14 08:59:21

Two weeks is nothing. I'd wait at least a month before worrying/chasing. Takes time to process these things.

redexpat Sun 24-Aug-14 09:33:56

Emailing them will show that you are interested. Might up your chances of making the shortlist, and wont hurt.

UncleT Sun 24-Aug-14 09:41:41

Yet another AIBU question that makes absolutely no sense. Clearly you can't 'be unreasonable' because you haven't heard from someone.

Collardove Sun 24-Aug-14 10:10:24

UncleT - people like you are just no help on mn. If it makes no sense to you as it has to others though, then you should just keep your unhelpful opinion to yourself and not post such a rubbish answer.

Southeastdweller Sun 24-Aug-14 10:13:59

I agree with redexpat. Contacting them now may be to your advantage.

Collardove Sun 24-Aug-14 10:16:23

Southeastdweller and redexpat - thanks for that advice I will do that on Tuesday

UncleT Sun 24-Aug-14 10:20:20

It's not a rubbish answer at all - it's a point of fact. If you don't want to post an actual AIBU question then don't post in AIBU.

Collardove Sun 24-Aug-14 10:27:41

Thanks too those for their helpful opinions in relation to whether I thought I was being unreasonable after only waiting two weeks to hear.
In reading through the replies and how job recruitment works these days, I think perhaps I am!

So I will leave it at that!

Heels99 Sun 24-Aug-14 10:28:52

Call them or email, shows you are keen. I work in hr and never mind when people ring about this

Collardove Sun 24-Aug-14 10:30:54

Heels99 that's good to hear that from a HR person smile thanks

GiveMeCheesecake Sun 24-Aug-14 10:34:59

I don't know how JL works, but I worked in retail for a long time. We would advertise a position and applicants would hand in their CV. It could often take a month before all the CVs were gathered up and looked through by management. They would then ring those they wanted to interview. Everyone else would NOT be contacted. It was only the unsuccessful interviewees that received rejection letters. So it would often be the case that say, 5 people who be chosen for an interview, while 60+ people would never hear a thing.

Cupacakethankooo Sun 24-Aug-14 10:38:22

I think JL recruitment is all handled centrally now. I work for the Partnership, had three interviews, thought I was going for the MD's job. Ha ha. Love it though. Good luck!

Post where you like, it doesn't bother most people on here.

Collardove Sun 24-Aug-14 10:42:33

Cupacakethankoo - smile

Heels99 Tue 26-Aug-14 14:09:59

Did you call them OP?

curiousgeorgie Tue 26-Aug-14 14:26:05

I would definitely call. I once got a job at Disney this way and later found out they were undecided until I called.

Collardove Tue 26-Aug-14 22:38:30

Heels99 - thanks for thinking of me! smile I thought I would give it till Thursday, and if there has still been no update, I am off that day and will email them then, as that seems to be the way to get in touch as per their contact details on their web site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now