Gift List

(72 Posts)
brokenhearted55a Sat 23-Aug-14 16:29:51

I know they are getting more common but I've just received a Christening Invitation with a link to John Lewis gift list stating that if we wish to buy a gift then buy from there.

Ok but the cheapest thing on there is £40. Expensive silver frames, art work for bedroom, expensive jewellery, expensive money boxes.

WTF. I dont want to spend that much. Particularly not when I already gave them a present at the baby shower and when she was born.

Not very Christian is it? confused

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Sat 23-Aug-14 16:35:20

Last time I had one of them I just bought a gift that I could afford. Or you could just give them a JL gift voucher.

silveroldie2 Sat 23-Aug-14 16:36:13

Personally I would ignore the list and buy/spend what I wanted.

LadyLuck10 Sat 23-Aug-14 16:37:13

I would ignore and buy what I choose. Bloody cheeky, I can understand if there is a varying price range but this is confused.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 23-Aug-14 16:40:39

Is there a kids book with a hidden message about grabby consumerism? If not, I may have to write one.

brokenhearted55a Sat 23-Aug-14 16:41:49

WIBU to exploit the use of the word "if".

If you want to buy a gift. .....lol

Booboostoo Sat 23-Aug-14 16:42:58

The gift list doesn't sound like a bad idea as such but the starting price is insane! That is a lot of money for a baby gift even if they hadn't had a baby shower and a birth gift. Before you know it you're going to be presented with a first birthday gift list starting at £100!

HappyAgainOneDay Sat 23-Aug-14 16:43:16

I thought this was going to be a gift list for Christmas!

Nomama Sat 23-Aug-14 16:46:04

But, getting a gift list as a Christmas present isn't much fun!

brokenhearted55a Sat 23-Aug-14 16:46:49

I think a christening gift list is unreasonable full stop.

Thumbwitch Sat 23-Aug-14 16:46:54

Buy them a Bible.

gentlehoney Sat 23-Aug-14 16:47:15

Buy the forty pound gift (because you have no choice) and spend a happy hour sticking pins into a playdough effigy of the grabby parents.

expatinscotland Sat 23-Aug-14 16:48:03

For a Christening? How fucking tacky!

I would give a contribution to the church in the child's name. So much for Christian charity!

Ragwort Sat 23-Aug-14 16:48:19

How rude shock. Ignore, there is no need to take a gift, particularly if you have already given at the baby shower and when she was born.

When our DS was christened we specifically said, as politely as possible 'no gifts please'. Why is everything about presents these days? sad.

expatinscotland Sat 23-Aug-14 16:50:20

There is NO obligation to buy a £40 gift for a christening. Of course you have a choice. Sp

You have already given two gifts. Send a card along, with sentiments and not money.

ADishBestEatenCold Sat 23-Aug-14 16:52:32

You could always answer the invitation (accepting or declining as you wish) and actually refer to the gifts you already gave at the baby shower and when she was born.

Sort of:

I would love to accept your kind invitation to baby <name>'s christening. Thank you. I do hope <name> is enjoying the gifts I brought and that the 'whatever' fits her. See you on the 'date'.

DaisyFlowerChain Sat 23-Aug-14 16:52:37

Ignore it. A christening is supposed to be about the child joining gods family but sadly most are now just for the party or presents.

Since reading John Lewis gift lists can be converted to cash, I avoid like the plague.

A bible would be appropriate.

limitedperiodonly Sat 23-Aug-14 16:59:04

I always defend people who have a wedding list or ask for money because who goes to a party empty-handed?

But Christening presents? Your friends have crossed my Rubricon.

I'd always give something to the baby at a Christening. A bible. An ivory teething ring - can you still get those? But a list? From John Lewis?

Oh God. Or Jesus. Or whoever is looking out for the baby's soul because his/her parents aren't.

PenguinsIsSleepDeprived Sat 23-Aug-14 17:08:06

shock Make a donation to a children's charity and write a sweet note inside the card saying that, as our children are so lucky to have every material comfort, you knew that this would be appreciated.

PoshPenny Sat 23-Aug-14 17:11:22

I'd try and find some kind of picture/plaque that says something along the theme of the greatest gift of all is that of love and give that as your "gift" Its 1 Corinthians 13 in the Bible if you just want to type it out and send it to them... how very rude and grabby of them (IMO)

gentlehoney Sat 23-Aug-14 17:20:39

I think you really DO have an obligation to get something from the wretched list if you don't want to cause bad feeling and have people calling you a cheapskate behind your back for ever.

expatinscotland Sat 23-Aug-14 17:23:53

No, you don't have an obligation to go. It's an invitation, not a court summons. And who cares if tacky, grabby twats think you are cheap or have bad feeling because you refused to turn a religious event into yet another gift-spinner?

The OP doesn't care to spend another £40 on another gift. So don't.

Donate to charity and/or the church, and yy, great ideas for Bible verses about giving rather than receiving for the card.

McFox Sat 23-Aug-14 17:23:58

How rude. Buy them a bible and highlight done passages about not bring grabby (disclaimer: the bible may not contain any such passages) for their cheek!

bebebringingup Sat 23-Aug-14 17:31:29

Wow! That is grabby.

I'm not even having a baby shower as I don't want people to feel obliged to gift me things. When I do christen my little madam, I think I'd prefer charity donations if people asked. I was christened and haven't got a clue what anyone got me :-s

MyLifeIsFictional Sat 23-Aug-14 17:31:54

Agree with the Bible as being appropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now