Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

To say knackered to my 2.5 year old dd?

(66 Posts)
callmewhatever Sat 23-Aug-14 10:52:44

I generally say to my dd "you're knackered". But my dw has reprimanded me on numerous occasions stating that it's rude for a 2 year old to be saying this (she has said it before when she's been tired). I just assumed it was a normal turn of phrase but apparently I am wrong. So mn jury can we put it to you? smile

nailslikeknives Sat 23-Aug-14 10:57:09

My parents 65-70, would disapprove. I don't but cos of that I say shattered around the kids instead.

FuckyNell Sat 23-Aug-14 10:58:32

I use it but my mum wouldn't. She'd say 'cream crackered' instead grin

It's not a word I'd have wanted my children saying when they were younger and if it was said by a child in my reception class I'd be hmm.

squirrelweasel Sat 23-Aug-14 11:00:41

What is wrong with the word knackered? confused

I'm 46 , maybe it's a generational thing.

chubbyhez Sat 23-Aug-14 11:02:38

Knackered always seemed to occupy a strange space somewhere between swear word and rude when I was growing up. I don't know why.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 23-Aug-14 11:02:45

Some people believe knackered somehow relates to "knackers"/ testicles and is therefore rude.

firesidechat Sat 23-Aug-14 11:03:23

There have been so many threads about this and it's a word that seems to divide people

It's origins were the knackers yard where old horses went to be shot. So in my book it's not rude or offensive and I would use it and I almost never swear.

Some people think it means something more sexual. Is you mum one of those or just very straight laced?

I used this in a job interview once (tiredness was relevant to the job!) and the interviewers both laughed. I had no idea it was inappropriate until afterwards when I mentioned it to a friend blush I did get the job!

firesidechat Sat 23-Aug-14 11:04:31

I'm 50 StillStaying.

firesidechat Sat 23-Aug-14 11:05:08

It's not a pretty word, but not offensive either.

Username12345 Sat 23-Aug-14 11:07:10

Never heard of it being rude or offensive. confused

I use it all the time and I never swear. Is it an age/regional thing?
A lot of people in Yorkshire use it.

squirrelweasel Sat 23-Aug-14 11:09:01

I use it all the time, had no idea some people think it rude!

capant Sat 23-Aug-14 11:09:31

I don't have an issue with this word at all. But since some people do, I agree that it is not good for a very young child to be using it.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 23-Aug-14 11:10:29

Problem is, I didn't realise there was an issue with the word until reading one of the threads on Mumsnet....

MamaPain Sat 23-Aug-14 11:10:40

I always thought, based on who and how it was used, it was similar to "going for a slash" not pleasant but not offensive or rude.

crazykat Sat 23-Aug-14 11:11:35

I say it to my kids all the time but I've told them they aren't allowed to say it.

But I was raised in the army so swear like a squaddie though I'm trying to curb it in front of the kids.

firesidechat Sat 23-Aug-14 11:11:46

I think it's people getting confused between being knackered and knackers. They assume that the origin of knackered is the same as knackers and therefore rude.

Migsy1 Sat 23-Aug-14 11:12:27

I think it used to be a term to mean tired after sex.

firesidechat Sat 23-Aug-14 11:12:58

So all those posters who do use it, do you think it's rude or not?

Nanny0gg Sat 23-Aug-14 11:13:29

It was one step below swearing when I was growing up so I wouldn't use it to children or with people I didn't know well or in the workplace.

BikeRunSki Sat 23-Aug-14 11:13:33

The origin of"knackered" is that it means "sexually exhausted". That is why many people consider it rude.

I encourage my children to say "pooped", which i guess is only slightly better.

miffybun73 Sat 23-Aug-14 11:14:06

Yes.

Doesn't it mean "exhausted from lots of sex?!"

HappyAgainOneDay Sat 23-Aug-14 11:14:06

It is a rude word. I do not use rude words......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now