To use this baby name regardless?

(60 Posts)
fairyteepee Wed 20-Aug-14 18:32:29

My husband and i are in our late 20's, when my husband was 17 he had a girlfriend for 1 year with the surname Jax.

He lost his virginity to her and they had a typical teenage romance. We still run in similar circles to her through mutual friends my husband and her have kept for many years.

We bump into her at birthday parties for mutual friends children's birthday parties and the occasional wedding. I have no problem with her nor should i.

ANYWAY both me and my husband really like the name Jax for a boy but as i said its her surname. Should this put me off?

Thanks!

mommy2ash Wed 20-Aug-14 18:35:22

it would put me off but maybe I'm weird. if you never see her it would be different but really what you call your baby is nobody's business but your own. if you both like it then Go for it

LadyLuck10 Wed 20-Aug-14 18:35:46

Can you imagine ever mentioning your sons name and not thinking about her? If not then go ahead but personally I wouldn't.

Pinkje Wed 20-Aug-14 18:39:17

Have you changed the name for the purpose of this thread?

Sp1rals Wed 20-Aug-14 18:39:40

Not relevant to the question but for your information in Ireland, this is a very popular/slangish word for toilet.

BarbarianMum Wed 20-Aug-14 18:45:27

Yes it should! Being named after your dad's first shag is even worse then being named after the place you were accidentally conceived.

queenofthemountain Wed 20-Aug-14 18:49:32

A bad, bad idea.
she will feel a bit weirded out by it and think (as your mutual friends might too) that he is still carrying a torch for her

SistersOfPercy Wed 20-Aug-14 18:50:43

I like it, but then I love Sons of Anarchy and in particular Jackson 'Jax' Teller.
I think though it would probably put me off in this instance.

simontowers2 Wed 20-Aug-14 18:53:26

Bizarre name. Is this the real name?

Bowlersarm Wed 20-Aug-14 18:53:40

It looks like you will have named your son after her, to me. It's an unusual name.

TalcumPowder Wed 20-Aug-14 18:55:23

It's laddish slang for toilet in Ireland, and it will forever remind you of your husband's ex? I wouldn't, personally, but you did ask.

SistersOfPercy Wed 20-Aug-14 18:57:28

"Jackson' meaning 'son of Jack' often shortened to 'Jax' in the USA.

Nothing at all 'bizarre' about it.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Wed 20-Aug-14 18:57:46

Naming your child after your husband's first shag? And everyone you know will make the connection even if they don't actually know about the shagging part? No, that too fucking weird. Jax is a crap name anyway. Actually, scrub that, it isn't even a proper first name to begin with

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 20-Aug-14 18:59:13

Jax is a character from the Mortal Combat game. My friends dog is called Jax.

fairyteepee Wed 20-Aug-14 19:00:47

Im starting to think if we didnt have the mutual friends and see her on occasion that it would be ok but maybe in heinsight the announcement of our babies arrival would be overshadowed by raised eyebrows!!!

fairyteepee Wed 20-Aug-14 19:01:34

its a changed name to respect her privacy the real name has four letters but is an equally unusual?? surname

Topaz25 Wed 20-Aug-14 19:01:41

Couldn't you use a similar but different name, like Jack or Jackson with the nickname Jax? TBH it sounds more like a nickname anyway and that way you can still use the name but your son's given name won't be the same as your DH's ex's surname. If your husband has been in touch with his ex for so long, your son might meet her too and think it's weird that they share a name.

Topaz25 Wed 20-Aug-14 19:02:49

Ups sorry x-posted! I'd still suggest thinking of similar names to the one you wanted and then using the name that you wanted as a nickname.

Topaz25 Wed 20-Aug-14 19:03:22

*Oops

maras2 Wed 20-Aug-14 19:03:27

Some folk are just too cool for school.

londonrach Wed 20-Aug-14 19:04:53

I wouldn't as so any lovely names out there...

AtrociousCircumstance Wed 20-Aug-14 19:10:21

I wouldn't. The association would always be there.

tryingtocatchthewind Wed 20-Aug-14 19:11:12

No it's just a bit too odd for those who know your partner, I can't believe there's not another name out there that you like

The only person I knew who already had the name we chose for dd1 was a massive cow who had come on to dp when we were together (despite her own husband and child), bad mouthed me, and who I mostly definitely do not like.

Do I think of her when I look at dd1? Do I fuck! Dd1's name is beautiful and perfect and only reminds me of my lovely baby.

I'd use the name you like.

The only person I knew who already had the name we chose for dd1 was a massive cow who had come on to dp when we were together (despite her own husband and child), bad mouthed me, and who I mostly definitely do not like.

Do I think of her when I look at dd1? Do I fuck! Dd1's name is beautiful and perfect and only reminds me of my lovely baby.

I'd use the name you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now