wearing white dress to an engagement party

(26 Posts)
Mindyourownb Tue 19-Aug-14 12:51:21

acceptable or faux-pas. Please help settle an argument.

Mindyourownb Tue 19-Aug-14 12:51:38

if you are a guest.

LookingThroughTheFog Tue 19-Aug-14 12:55:27

A wedding dress? No.

Any other white dress? Fine.

My opinion is that we can't all bin all white clothes because someone else happens to be getting married at some point in the future.

bebebringingup Tue 19-Aug-14 12:57:31

Its not the wedding, wear the dress!

I don't even have a problem with someone wearing a white dress at a wedding. As long as it's not a wedding dress (excepting the bride).

WooWooOwl Tue 19-Aug-14 13:04:41

I wouldn't wear a completely white dress, or even a predominantly white dress tbh. There are enough other colours to choose from and like it or not, white is known as being the bridal colour.

I think it would come across as attention seeking to wear the bridal colour at someone else's engagement party.

OwlCapone Tue 19-Aug-14 13:07:04

It may be the bridal colour but there is no bride at an engagement party.

I think it's fine.

callamia Tue 19-Aug-14 13:13:07

It's fine. Why wouldn't it be?
I'm also fine with wearing a white dress to a wedding - if it's not overtly bridal looking, who cares?

indigo18 Tue 19-Aug-14 14:30:07

Absolutely fine; whatever will folks think of next!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Tue 19-Aug-14 14:32:11

I hate guests in white at weddings but would think it was fine at an engagement party.

LadyLuck10 Tue 19-Aug-14 14:40:12

It's fine at the engagement party. Use accessories to break it up but I think on it's own will also be fine.

KnackeredMuchly Tue 19-Aug-14 14:44:38

I wouldn't

BumpNGrind Tue 19-Aug-14 14:45:51

Wear it, its fine. Although I'd think that you turned up wanting to be the bride.

HaPPy8 Tue 19-Aug-14 14:55:13

I think this is ok and i say that as someone who wouldn't wear a white dress to a wedding. An engagement party is completely different in my eyes.

QueenBean Tue 19-Aug-14 14:56:51

White dress = absolutely fine.

If you wear a lacy garter and a veil to match that might be going too far.

PigletJohn Tue 19-Aug-14 15:14:16

instead?

Jelliebabe2 Tue 19-Aug-14 15:46:40

Not white or completely black at the wedding, but wear what you like at the engagement!

Maybe not nipple tassles!

chubbyhez Tue 19-Aug-14 15:49:30

Fine at a party but why on earth do people insist it's ok to do at an actual wedding?

SinglePringle Tue 19-Aug-14 15:51:50

I would think the wearer wanted to be the bride / proposed to / wanted to attract attention away from the Bride to Be if at an engagement party.

I would think this doubly at a wedding.

Montegomongoose Tue 19-Aug-14 15:56:58

I don't think you'd be breaking any etiquette rules whatsoever.

Any engagement parties I've been to have been quite dressy smart affairs, so just look nice.

And don't shag snog the groom obviously.

ChickenMe Tue 19-Aug-14 16:58:23

My friend's SIL wore a white dress to my friend's wedding. Not only that but it was a skin tight sleazy type dress! The SIL was already married so she had had her day.
I think white to an engagement party is a bit off. White is quite a statement colour. Usually you have to be slim and tanned to wear it so you might be taking attention away from the bride to be.

mrssmith79 Tue 19-Aug-14 17:00:40

I say fine. However, when drink has been taken I find that white dresses never stay white for long (speaks the red wine tainted voice of bitter experience).

indigo18 Tue 19-Aug-14 17:10:51

Seriously, some of you need to get a grip! Why on earth would wearing a white dress be taking attention from anyone, at an engagement party?? What imaginary 'rule' is this? As for 'usually you have to be slim and tanned to wear it', well really what rubbish! I'm so glad I'm (middle) aged and past all this fear of 'thunder stealing' or loss of attention.
Ffs, if the OP is slim, tanned and gorgeous it doesn't matter what she wears, she will still be a guest, not the engagee!
I showed a friend a photo of DD looking fabulous at a Uni Ball in a white dress and she launched into this sort of rubbish -' oh, look at her, wanting to be a bride!'; no she just liked the dress!

BumpNGrind Tue 19-Aug-14 22:00:18

Indigo, a uni ball is quite different to an engagement party though.

EElisavetaofBelsornia Tue 19-Aug-14 22:11:53

So presumably it's only me who thought, engagement party?? That's a thing? With a dress code? Blimey, me and then-DH-to-be just told people we'd decided to tie the knot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now