to have told these children off and wonder where were their parents.

(9 Posts)
4boys78 Tue 19-Aug-14 00:45:09

I went swimming today with my dc. There is a water slide there and my youngest loved going down the slide with me. My middle one got upset as some boys kept pushing in front of him. They were probably 7 or 8 so borderline for having parents with them.
Anyway I didn't witness the pushing in so let it go. However, the lifeguards had to several times tell them off for going down the slide too close together.
Well they were behind me and my toddler and the boy came down almost directly after me and his younger sister I presume followed behind. The lifeguard didn't actually see on this occasion so I told them that they must wait for green light.
I know ianbu to have said this but I think I was more cross with the parent. I am sure at least one of the children was under 8 so they should have been closely supervised.
Aibu

Thebodyloveschocolateandwine Tue 19-Aug-14 01:02:38

It's what kids do but it's entirely fine to tell them
To wait and not push in.

likklemum Tue 19-Aug-14 01:34:53

Yanbu- perhaps the children didn't see the light or thought it didn't matter. IMO children left unsupervised should still be semi-supervised by the adults that are there. I would expect an adult to remind my children of the rules in such a situation. I am sure you would have stopped and helped if one got hurt, therefore it is reasonable to remind children to follow the rules that are there to keep everyone safe.

TheRealAmandaClarke Tue 19-Aug-14 05:08:08

Yanbu.

WaffleWiffle Tue 19-Aug-14 05:13:52

There should be a lifeguard at the top of the slide managing how and when swimmers descend. I would be very concerned that there is no or that the lifeguard was not paying enough attention to do his/her job correctly.

Children will push and go too soon unless managed correctly by the lifeguard. This situation needs mentioning to the pools centre manager, much more proactive than telling individual children off.

4boys78 Tue 19-Aug-14 09:29:33

I did consider mentioning upon leaving but having 4dc with me it went out of my head. There is only one lifeguard on duty watching pool and slide and she told them off several times.

ChickenMe Tue 19-Aug-14 11:06:38

Quite right to tell them-that's what a responsible adult would do. Someone will turn up soon though saying you are being "judgy" blah blah blah.

YouTheCat Tue 19-Aug-14 11:10:20

After the first time the lifeguard should have told the kids to get out of the pool.

4boys78 Tue 19-Aug-14 11:26:26

Strangely thats what my 8 year old said. you. He is very wisebeyond his years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now