AIBU to think that everyone should.....

(8 Posts)
HappyAgainOneDay Mon 18-Aug-14 21:13:04

.... read the Pedestrian section of the Highway Code. There was a time when men walked on the kerbside of women to save them from 'potential danger' some still do. The HC says that adults should walk on the kerbside of children to help to keep them safe. Why do people have their children on the kerbside and sometimes don't even hold hands with them?

As well as that, if we are walking along a country road without a pavement, we should walk on the side facing oncoming traffic (on the right) so we can see it approaching. Why do people walk on the left, the same as traffic which will approach them from behind (and you wouldn't hear a cyclist approaching, would you?). If there's a pavement on one side, we should use it.

<waits for excuses to ignore the HC>

1sneezecakesmum Mon 18-Aug-14 21:17:27

As most people only read the HC when they are doing their driving test you are being VU to expect pedestrians to bother! And once I was in my car I never set foot on a pavement again! grin

ithoughtofitfirst Mon 18-Aug-14 21:25:28

People ignoring the kerbside thing really piss me off. And people who don't walk single file for the whopping 2 seconds that would lapse while I pass with my entitled, enormous contraption of a pushchair. No really! Don't mind me! I will walk in the road.

HeySoulSister Mon 18-Aug-14 21:26:20

I knew that anyway

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 18-Aug-14 21:37:35

I always walk on the left on the lane simply because I've got my dog with me and he walks on the left of me and I don't want him in the road. I could walk the other side and put him on my right side but I don't. I don't know why.

HeartShapedBox Mon 18-Aug-14 21:40:29

I always make kids walk on the inside of the road.

didn't know it was part of the highway code though, it's just common sense!

Nicklt1988 Mon 18-Aug-14 23:07:12

Depends how well your kid understands road safety. Little kids (-4yo) should be away from the kerb and hand held, IMHO. My daughter is 6 and she is fine to walk alone in front or road side because she understands road safety.

MostWicked Mon 18-Aug-14 23:16:18

I don't drive
I've read the highway code.
I know to walk on the right if there's no pavement.
But, I have 2 kids, so when they were young, I would have one on each side of me (holding hands as much as I could)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now