Was I being a cow or not?????

(274 Posts)
Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Mon 18-Aug-14 14:06:01

I was in town earlier when I popped to the loo in Debenhams.

When I walked in a young chav mum was sanding near the sink area talking on her phone (her side of the conversation featured such immortal lines as " yeah but, fucking bitch, I'll have her, cunt etc etc). I kid you not a docker would have blushed!!!

Her DC looked about 2 and was sat quietly in the pushchair.

Anyhow I went to the loo (whilst listening to every word and profanity that young mum was uttering - including the "c" word being used with astounding regularity).

After weeing visiting the toilet I shimmed past aforesaid young mum (who was now perched on a sink with one foot resting on the pushchair) to wash my hands. I was about to dry them in the "Blade air dryer" when she stopped her phone conversation and asked me to wait because her DC didn't like the noise.

Fair enough I thought, expecting young mum to vacate the toilet. But no she carried on her phone call berating some poor lad who was fucking with her 'ead, clearly causing her some degree of upset.

I waited a moment and then asked her if she was going so that I could dry my hands, she told me to "wait". I did wait for a few moments (out of respect to Dc not her) but she remained perched on the sink with the phone attached to her ear. I finally looked pointedly at her, she half turned away from me and carried on the phone call. At this point I shoved my hands in the dryer causing poor DC to scream - chav mum snatched up the pushchair and stormed out of the toilets calling me a cow.

I stand by my actions but am expecting a MN flaming!!!

StrawberryCheese Mon 18-Aug-14 14:09:08

I would have done the same as you.

LadyLuck10 Mon 18-Aug-14 14:09:10

Yanbu, I would not have waited the first time she asked me!
She sounds utterly vileconfused her poor child.

BobPatandIgglePiggle Mon 18-Aug-14 14:09:15

your actions were not u.

you will get flamed for the rest.

notagainffffffffs Mon 18-Aug-14 14:10:58

Couldn't you have just dried them on tissue or your coat etc? No need to be antagonistic

MissYamabuki Mon 18-Aug-14 14:12:05

My Dc1 is terrified of hand driers
YWNBU

loudarts Mon 18-Aug-14 14:13:03

You were not being a cow, she was

JustSpeakSense Mon 18-Aug-14 14:13:14

YANBU!

Fudgeface123 Mon 18-Aug-14 14:14:45

Seriously notagainffffffffffs????

LadyLuck10 Mon 18-Aug-14 14:14:58

Notagain considering it was her child who scared of the drier could she have not used a tissue or moved along as quick out of there?

Fudgeface123 Mon 18-Aug-14 14:15:57

She's not worried about her disgusting vile language upsetting her toddler but it worried about the handdrier?! At least the kid can get away from the handdrier, she's stuck with that vile excuse for a mother

AlpacaYourThings Mon 18-Aug-14 14:16:12

YANBU.

Calling her a 'chav' isn't particularly nice though.

TheJiminyConjecture Mon 18-Aug-14 14:17:48

She's a dick.

<Waiting to see how long before someone asks why her age was relevant/comment on use of chav>

notagainffffffffs Mon 18-Aug-14 14:18:16

Yeah. In that situation I would have used a tissue or whatever and scooted off.no drama's. Hand driers aren't an essential imo.

rallytog1 Mon 18-Aug-14 14:18:59

YANBU in that she is a cow.

But it was the poor child who ended up being upset. And calling someone a chav is not cool.

WorraLiberty Mon 18-Aug-14 14:21:12

I would have wiped them on my clothes/some tissue, so as not to scare the child.

Panzee Mon 18-Aug-14 14:21:29

My boy hates the driers but I just put my hands on his ears and we get out as soon as we can.

Was another child in the toilet? Is that who she meant? <straw grasping>

Simplesusan Mon 18-Aug-14 14:23:00

Yanbu.

If her dcs doesn't like hand dryers, then she should have exited the toilets quickly..

RiverTam Mon 18-Aug-14 14:23:26

DD hates hand-driers but I wouldn't ever ask someone else not to use them!

Personally I would have said 'so you don't want your DC to hear a hairdryer but your happy for him/her to hear the filth coming out of your mouth? Riiiiight hmm.' And I say that as someone with a complete potty mouth who is able to keep it under wraps around her child.

YANBU.

PerpendicularVincenzo Mon 18-Aug-14 14:23:40

YANBU, she sounds awful. I imagine you used the word chav in annoyance because of her behaviour towards you, so I see no point in picking up on it - she was in the wrong.

antimatter Mon 18-Aug-14 14:24:27

why is she in the toilet by the drier if her child hates that noise?

lack of logic or what!

Beeyump Mon 18-Aug-14 14:24:31

I don't think you were being a cow! But I wouldn't have used the hand dryer if I had been in your position, because I'm a wuss.

Oh yes, how dreadful of you to call her chav, etc. etc. smile

alemci Mon 18-Aug-14 14:25:01

totally agree fudgeface. why do people have to air their dirty linen in public. it's a loo not a social club.

PintOfTea Mon 18-Aug-14 14:26:07

I don't think technically you were wrong to dry your hands and I might've done the same, but you probably will get a bit of a grilling for your gleeful description of this mother's faults. I feel sorry for the toddler sad

HaroldLloyd Mon 18-Aug-14 14:26:26

Ignoring everything else, no fucking way on gods green earth would I wipe my hands on my own clothes so someone could carry on talking on their phone! If your child is scared of driers, leave the toilets after you have finished.

Good grief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now