Is a Bible ok?

(85 Posts)
DogCalledRudis Mon 18-Aug-14 10:28:57

We were invited to neighbours' 3 & 6 grandchildrens' birthday.
We're Christian, the grandparents are as well, so i think.... a nice edition of childrens' Bible should be nice?

Or should i just buy a big Lego?

1sneezecakesmum Mon 18-Aug-14 10:32:21

Honestly I think it is for the parents to decide. Maybe their upbringing g turned them atheist! Ask the parents if possible to see what their approach is.

Kids are not usually keen on any book tbh and prefer a nice piece of flashy trash!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 18-Aug-14 10:32:41

I would only buy a Bible for a christening. If they havent been christened then a bible isnt apporpriate imo and if they have been christened then they will allready have a bible.
Some nice childrens stories of biblical tales may bbe slightly more apt.
Id also wrap an individual gift each - joint gifts are a no no.

jacks365 Mon 18-Aug-14 10:32:56

Buy lego, the grandparents may be Christian but it doesn't mean the parents are.

shakinstevenslovechild Mon 18-Aug-14 10:33:27

I think lego would be better tbh. Unless you know the.childrens parents are Christian and would welcome such a gift.

If their Grandparents are Christian too they probably.already have a special bible from them anyways.

BigDorrit Mon 18-Aug-14 10:33:39

If the Grandparents are then they probably already have one.

Unless the parents object, in which case you're interfering and pushing your own faith which may not be welcome.

You can never have enough lego...

Lego, my ds's at that age wouldn't have enjoyed a bible as a present.

OhMyArsingGodInABox Mon 18-Aug-14 10:39:05

I'm an atheist but some of my parents' friends have given all my children beautiful illustrated bibles as gifts.

We've been very grateful and treated the bibles as we would any other beautiful book of stories.

I think it's a lovely gift. Even as an atheist I want my children to learn about religions.

DogCalledRudis Mon 18-Aug-14 10:39:22

Ok, i think we will go for lego.
I don't know parents at all

I wouldn't (and I'm a Christian too!). You're not buying a present for the grandparents, and you don't know how the children are being raised or whether you are treading on a significant minefield here.

For a christening, maybe, but even then more suitable from a godparent or grandparent directly.

Birthday presents = toys!

wigglesrock Mon 18-Aug-14 10:52:35

Buy a big Lego, you have no idea if the children follow any type of religion at all.

ZeroTolerance Mon 18-Aug-14 10:56:14

Not for a birthday, no.

Buy a toy!

ImAlpharius Mon 18-Aug-14 10:56:54

I would possibly go for a bibley/christian book and smaller toy, Bible is quite full on (and prone to duplicates if they are a Christian household) I don't think it matters what religion they follow, we are Christians and if friends of other faiths gave my kids age appropriate books form their religions I'd be delighted and would certainly read them with my children.

deakymom Mon 18-Aug-14 10:58:14

well we wouldn't mind but many would so i would go with the lego x

SaucyJack Mon 18-Aug-14 10:59:07

Lego.

The average three year old couldn't give less of a stuff what religion his GP's neighbours postman's auntie's dog is.

Why would it be nice? Because YOU like the bible?

bizarre.

specialsubject Mon 18-Aug-14 11:03:10

lego.

no child follows a religion. They are told what to do.

they do whoever LOVE toys!

PenguinsIsSleepDeprived Mon 18-Aug-14 11:05:08

Yup, lego. I think religious presents are only really a good idea if either you specifically know that they will be appreciated or it is a Christening (in which case, even if it is the fifth children's bible the kids have, it's still a nice and appropriate gift).

FairPhyllis Mon 18-Aug-14 11:07:42

No. I am a Christian but I wouldn't give a Bible unless I knew the family well and knew they wanted one or unless for a christening (possibly not even then as it is very easy to end up with multiple copies).

They may already have multiple Bibles, or the parents may not be raising them as Christians and you could be putting your foot in it.

Castlemilk Mon 18-Aug-14 11:09:33

No, very odd.

1. If Christian, they would probably already have children's bibles;

2. If not Christian, they probably wouldn't want one and might actively dislike being given one.

3. Quite personal present - traditionally given at a christening by the godparents.

noblegiraffe Mon 18-Aug-14 11:10:32

It would be a completely weird present from someone who doesn't know the children nor their parents' religious preferences.

My mum is catholic - I most definitely am not, and would be very hmm over some random neighbour inserting religion uninvited into our lives. It's bad enough when schools do it.

GailLondon Mon 18-Aug-14 11:12:22

No, not appropriate as you don't know the religious beliefs of the parents or the children themselves.

Someone bought us a Noah's Ark wooden toy for our son. We call it his Darwin's Boat smile I'm afraid a Bible would have been chucked straight in the charity donation bag in my house.

ImAlpharius Mon 18-Aug-14 11:18:58

People who would just get rid, would you do the same with a book of Greek mythology or fairytales? Because surely that is all you beleive they are and there are some good stories in there. I would also say it's as close minded as a religous person refusing anything from another belief source.

ShadowStar Mon 18-Aug-14 11:19:33

I would only give a bible as a christening present.

Chances are they already have one anyway if the grandparents are practicing Christians.

I'd go for Lego. Separate Lego sets for each child too.

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 18-Aug-14 11:21:42

Totally inappropriate and presumptuous. Just because its your thing and the grandparents are. Christians is irrelevant.
I like a night out with a drink. Under no circumstances would that make it appropriate for you to take my 2 year old grandchild out on the lash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now