To ask how on earth do you keep an organised and clean house in the summer holidays!!

(37 Posts)
ginorwine Mon 18-Aug-14 09:18:34

Ours is collapsing about my ears!!:0 average of 8 teens a day going thro it needing food , shoes everywhere , sheer bulk of their stuff , energy , occasional spills. Love it but the food disappears ditto juice and the house needs constant up keep after sleepovers and human traffic! My bedroom is a state as flop in it and the laundry is a pyramid! They do tidy up after selves : in a teenage way smile but it's like livi g in a storm ! We are closest to town so they come here which I prefer so keep eye on em ,
My routine is normally to clean and clear kitchen each night but with loads teens I tend not to go in it so the am is starting with mess etc . We have sofa in kitchen which is a sofa bed and visiting teens sleep there!
I partly love it all and am having a semi humour s rant ! I'm not good at keeping on top of things when the house is full - eg can't Hoover around a roomful of folk?! :0

carlywurly Wed 20-Aug-14 17:29:18

We've been on a tip and charity shop drop today. I couldn't bear it any longer. Got home and can already spot things I missed taking so same again next week. smile

I'm looking round and it looks like we've just had a jumble sale. All the good things are gone and there's piles of "stuff" here, there and everywhere. I have little patches that are tidy and I'm aiming to join the tidy bits all together in the first week of school.

ginorwine Wed 20-Aug-14 15:13:29

Used- bet you wd nt want it any other way ! It's just dealing with the mess! I wd nt want to be a no teen househd!

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Tue 19-Aug-14 07:40:28

I feel your pain, my house is like teenage central. I woke up one day last week and found 12 teenagers sleeping in the house, some of whom I'd never seen before in my life.

However, I am aware that we have quite a lot of downstairs space, so lots of teens can congregate, and I've never put my foot down about not having them. Ds does do clearing up, so when we get home from work it's usually pretty ok.

Mind you, have realised I'm doing something wrong as DS said last night he and a few other friends were going over to a friend's house and staying over, but would need to take a tent as friend's mum would not let them sleep in house. It then transpired that they were actually camping in NDN's garden not in friend's, and NDN doesn't even have teenagers. Now that mother has got it sorted.

Tikimon Mon 18-Aug-14 19:58:18

There's an app called Unfuck Your Habitat that's nice and helps you keep up with housework in bite sized chunks.

gordyslovesheep Mon 18-Aug-14 19:57:25

personally I think you need to make the teens tidy their mess up - my kids are 5,10 and 12 and we have a no mates rule until their rooms are sorted and things put away - also with teens can you not iron with them in the house - they don't need watching

I think you either resign yourself to the mess or get the family to pull their weight

Shedding Mon 18-Aug-14 19:28:03

Maybe we should repost in Home Ed?

Unlabelled Mon 18-Aug-14 19:23:08

You need an EKL!

chubbyhez Mon 18-Aug-14 19:22:50

I mostly drink gin.

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 18-Aug-14 19:18:42

I can't keep a clean and organized house at any time of the year.
Summer is just a particular low point!

5madthings Mon 18-Aug-14 19:17:00

Btw the ONLY reason it's been operation blitz in this house is because my idiot partner decided to start decorating one of the kids bedrooms and then he buffered off for a week with work, leaving the house in total chaos! angry and I couldn't cope with it so we had to tidy.

5madthings Mon 18-Aug-14 19:07:17

We have been living in a bomb site till the last few days and I went hardcore and got the kids to pitch in.

I still need to mop floors and clean bathroom but bedrooms are tidy and hovered and today I sorted downstairs.

On my list for later on the week

Clean kitchen cupboards

Sort paperwork pile in dining room and sort pc desk.

Take bags to charity shop, they are currently in conservatory.

Have managed to get on top of the laundry and put it away which is a miracle in itself.

I need to keep it tidy till the 23rd when we are away on holiday, it will then be messy for a few days as we unpack etc but then madthings are back at School is ignoring the fact they have two days at school and then we have a weekend away which will mean more chaos

Preciousbane Mon 18-Aug-14 18:58:40

Ah yes the Mum at home thing , that's me as well.

I live round the corner from school so often have visitors in term time as well. I often feed them microwave popcorn as cheap and filling and do very good fried egg sandwiches.

It is nice in a way and we were never allowed friends round when I was a kid but I can't have it every day as I'm not as nice as you.

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 18-Aug-14 17:45:15

You don't, grin and bear it till September book 2 days off the 1 for cleaning the other just to sit in a nice clean tidy quiet house until pick up time.

WillWorkForMoney Mon 18-Aug-14 17:42:45

My mam always had an open house for all our friends and we loved it. I'm hoping to have the same for my dd's, but dp is a bit of a grump so i'm easing him in slowly lol.

My house is currently a tip as we moved 9 days ago and things have not found permanent homes yet so loads of stuff stored all over. I can't wait until the kids go back so I can sort stuff. I've spent 2 weeks of the holidays preparing to move and then a week sorting the important stuff, so i feel the rest of the holidays can be the kids' time to do some fun stuff.

deakymom Mon 18-Aug-14 16:31:46

go on holiday my house looked great till i got home! seriously the kids help make the mess and clean it up (mostly)

maninawomansworld Mon 18-Aug-14 16:15:46

8 teenagers in the house............. !
There's your reason for the bomb site. Unless they're all your own teens I wouldn't be having any of that shit... don't they have their own homes?

foxdongle Mon 18-Aug-14 13:50:15

Mine help with the once a week blitz, then just a quick tidy every day.
DC are more out than in tbh.
Also we go away at least twice and have lots of days out -less tidying required.

Stinkle Mon 18-Aug-14 11:59:17

I've given up trying.

Kitchen and bathrooms are fine, living room has seen better days but nothing 5 minutes shoving things in the cupboards and a whizz round with the hoover won't solve.

The rest of it is a pit

I'll sort it out when they go back to school - no one has died yet

aquashiv Mon 18-Aug-14 11:55:26

Just ask them to help.

DemelzaandRoss Mon 18-Aug-14 11:01:02

Don't worry about it. Nothing bad will happen. Just clear up when they've all gone back to school.

Kim82 Mon 18-Aug-14 10:08:24

Only one of mine is teenage (13) but all my older 3 bring friends round on a daily basis, no other parent lets them bring their friends into the house. Odd but their choice. Anyway, I tidy up downstairs after breakfast and again after tea. Kids aren't allowed out in the morning until their bedroom is tidy. In between my two cleaning times a day the house is a state but with a 4 week old as well I just can't bring myself to care! At least it's tidy in the evening when I sit down to relax for the day and that's good enough for me.

BabyGoose Mon 18-Aug-14 10:06:20

We were never allowed visitors at home when we were kids. I hope when my children grow up I'm just like you! I just want all their friends to feel welcome and comfortable in our house.

figgypuddings Mon 18-Aug-14 10:01:06

Pizzas, plastic cups, valium clear a path to the washing machine. I also invested in a small rubbish burner.

ginorwine Mon 18-Aug-14 09:41:51

Plus part of this rant is tounge in cheek as I partly love it smile !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now