To ask how on earth do you keep an organised and clean house in the summer holidays!!

(37 Posts)
ginorwine Mon 18-Aug-14 09:18:34

Ours is collapsing about my ears!!:0 average of 8 teens a day going thro it needing food , shoes everywhere , sheer bulk of their stuff , energy , occasional spills. Love it but the food disappears ditto juice and the house needs constant up keep after sleepovers and human traffic! My bedroom is a state as flop in it and the laundry is a pyramid! They do tidy up after selves : in a teenage way smile but it's like livi g in a storm ! We are closest to town so they come here which I prefer so keep eye on em ,
My routine is normally to clean and clear kitchen each night but with loads teens I tend not to go in it so the am is starting with mess etc . We have sofa in kitchen which is a sofa bed and visiting teens sleep there!
I partly love it all and am having a semi humour s rant ! I'm not good at keeping on top of things when the house is full - eg can't Hoover around a roomful of folk?! :0

allisgood1 Mon 18-Aug-14 09:20:36

You get your mum to come live with you June-September. Clean house all the time. Job done. smile

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 18-Aug-14 09:21:36

Make them sit in the garden if you have one!

Hoppinggreen Mon 18-Aug-14 09:21:54

I just adopt the " everyone fed no one dead" approach until September!!!!

ginorwine Mon 18-Aug-14 09:24:02

Hopping - think will try that !
Yes we have garden but they can't watch films in that ha ha!

hamptoncourt Mon 18-Aug-14 09:24:30

I have similar issues gino

I am very happy that my teens and their friends like being here and feel comfortable in my home, but I do get fed up with the mess sometimes.

What works for me is that I talk to the friends and get a bit Sergeant Major with them, and say "Right! everyone needs to do X, Y and Z or the internet is going off/no more sleepovers/no more friends round the rest of the summer." I will then go off and have a shower and say I want it all tidy and cleanish by the time I get back.

They have usually managed to clear all the crap off the floor, put stuff in the dishwasher/laundry and pushed the hoover round.

ginorwine Mon 18-Aug-14 09:25:24

All is good! No spare bed room plus that wd double my stress !! Ha .

pictish Mon 18-Aug-14 09:26:22

I don't. I can't.
I am currently sitting in a disaster zone, waiting for the kids to go back on Wednesday, so I can slowly start to put it right again.

I'm not a spring cleaner...I'm an autumn one. I do the big clear out to ready the house for winter, when we will be spending a lot more time in it.

Preciousbane Mon 18-Aug-14 09:27:13

How come you have so many teens at your house? my DS gets quite a few calling round as we live closest to the park but its invite only for staying at mine and I'm not having them doss about at mine every day. So I will just say no visitors today, like today but tomorrow fine for open house.

ginorwine Mon 18-Aug-14 09:36:03

Hampton - why did I not think of that ! Often teens more willing to help in another house than own ! Teamwork ! Light bulb moment! smile thanks !!!

ginorwine Mon 18-Aug-14 09:39:20

Precious. - A few reasons I guess- they feel at ease here and get fed! Pkus I have time off work whereas parents at work may not let in house pkus a good few live in country side and meet in town and we are in good location!

ginorwine Mon 18-Aug-14 09:40:18

Plus

ginorwine Mon 18-Aug-14 09:41:51

Plus part of this rant is tounge in cheek as I partly love it smile !

figgypuddings Mon 18-Aug-14 10:01:06

Pizzas, plastic cups, valium clear a path to the washing machine. I also invested in a small rubbish burner.

BabyGoose Mon 18-Aug-14 10:06:20

We were never allowed visitors at home when we were kids. I hope when my children grow up I'm just like you! I just want all their friends to feel welcome and comfortable in our house.

Kim82 Mon 18-Aug-14 10:08:24

Only one of mine is teenage (13) but all my older 3 bring friends round on a daily basis, no other parent lets them bring their friends into the house. Odd but their choice. Anyway, I tidy up downstairs after breakfast and again after tea. Kids aren't allowed out in the morning until their bedroom is tidy. In between my two cleaning times a day the house is a state but with a 4 week old as well I just can't bring myself to care! At least it's tidy in the evening when I sit down to relax for the day and that's good enough for me.

DemelzaandRoss Mon 18-Aug-14 11:01:02

Don't worry about it. Nothing bad will happen. Just clear up when they've all gone back to school.

aquashiv Mon 18-Aug-14 11:55:26

Just ask them to help.

Stinkle Mon 18-Aug-14 11:59:17

I've given up trying.

Kitchen and bathrooms are fine, living room has seen better days but nothing 5 minutes shoving things in the cupboards and a whizz round with the hoover won't solve.

The rest of it is a pit

I'll sort it out when they go back to school - no one has died yet

foxdongle Mon 18-Aug-14 13:50:15

Mine help with the once a week blitz, then just a quick tidy every day.
DC are more out than in tbh.
Also we go away at least twice and have lots of days out -less tidying required.

maninawomansworld Mon 18-Aug-14 16:15:46

8 teenagers in the house............. !
There's your reason for the bomb site. Unless they're all your own teens I wouldn't be having any of that shit... don't they have their own homes?

deakymom Mon 18-Aug-14 16:31:46

go on holiday my house looked great till i got home! seriously the kids help make the mess and clean it up (mostly)

WillWorkForMoney Mon 18-Aug-14 17:42:45

My mam always had an open house for all our friends and we loved it. I'm hoping to have the same for my dd's, but dp is a bit of a grump so i'm easing him in slowly lol.

My house is currently a tip as we moved 9 days ago and things have not found permanent homes yet so loads of stuff stored all over. I can't wait until the kids go back so I can sort stuff. I've spent 2 weeks of the holidays preparing to move and then a week sorting the important stuff, so i feel the rest of the holidays can be the kids' time to do some fun stuff.

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 18-Aug-14 17:45:15

You don't, grin and bear it till September book 2 days off the 1 for cleaning the other just to sit in a nice clean tidy quiet house until pick up time.

Preciousbane Mon 18-Aug-14 18:58:40

Ah yes the Mum at home thing , that's me as well.

I live round the corner from school so often have visitors in term time as well. I often feed them microwave popcorn as cheap and filling and do very good fried egg sandwiches.

It is nice in a way and we were never allowed friends round when I was a kid but I can't have it every day as I'm not as nice as you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now