to not use a supplier because they spelt my name wrong?

(32 Posts)
Blueuggboots Mon 18-Aug-14 09:17:11

I sent an email to a company I am interested in using for wedding decorators.
They replied but spelt my name incorrectly, when it was printed on the email very clearly.
AIBU to not use them if they can't even spell my name correctly when it is right in front of them???!!!

ADinnerofHerbs Mon 18-Aug-14 11:14:11

I get strange spellings of my first name and it is a bit annoying but it is more annoying when people cannot pronounce it. It is fairly simple to say but people cut off the last vowel and then my name becomes a man's name. A Nurse bellowed the masculine name across a packed waiting room just the other day. Prefixed by Mrs! All my life people have done this and even my nine year old now asks why people don't just pronounce it as it is spelt!!

AnotherGirlsParadise Mon 18-Aug-14 11:35:54

My name gets spelled wrong frequently as it's unusual - I let people get away with it once. If they repeat the mistake, they just obviously aren't paying attention or are basically rude. I mean, if someone's name is unusual, copy and paste it! It's not hard to get it right.

I agree. My surname is Finnish and by all accounts, nigh on impossible to spell and pronounce. I've had to correct the spelling with the doctor's surgery, the local city hospital and even the electoral roll. I always make sure I block print my name very carefully and clearly when I hand-write it, but if it's in a web-based document, there's no excuse for not using cut and paste.

DS2's named when shortened is the same as a shortening for another name. I have a good friend who lengthens it to the wrong name (e.g shortening is Ed, actual name is Edmund, friend thinks it's Edward kind of a thing). I have mentioned it ages ago but she hasn't remembered. It's now got to the point where he got a certificate of achievement at school from her (she is a Governor) and it has the wrong name on it. Oh dear.

OP I would give them another change. However if they are going to be spelling out your name in the decorating then you need to be sure they are going to get it right and tell them they have spelled your name wrong.

GrapefruitILoveIt Mon 18-Aug-14 12:02:39

looking through the fog, I was at the bank effecting a transfer payment and the space allowed for text reference (so recipient would knwo who the payment was from was quite short) so I gave the name, supposing it was Juliette for Abseiling course. The girl at the bank told me 'oh that didn't fit, so I just put Abseilling Julie. So, great, everybody will now think that my name is Julie. Why not just put J Grapefruit.

Peppa87 Mon 18-Aug-14 12:06:16

As I imagine their services will probably require attention to detail, it would put me off.

Do you know who responds to their emails? It could've been some half arsed person perhaps doing the admin work, rather than the person providing the actual service you want, in which case it would be unfair to base their work on that.

If you really like the look of whatever they do, but don't feel confident because of this, perhaps ask for samples or see previous work something before committing?

Blueuggboots Mon 18-Aug-14 12:14:11

If you think of names that have two spellings, like Jane or Jayne, Elinor or Eleanor. It's that sort of mistake....but if you're replying to an email, it takes 2 seconds to scroll to check which spelling it is.
Yes, I'm precious about it. It's my NAME!! grin

BloodyClarey Mon 18-Aug-14 12:23:19

Attention to detail innit. I wouldn't use them, I'd also tell them why you aren't using them. People spell my name wrong ALL THE TIME out of laziness. There are three proper ways of spelling it, mine's not that unusual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now