to not use a supplier because they spelt my name wrong?

(32 Posts)
Blueuggboots Mon 18-Aug-14 09:17:11

I sent an email to a company I am interested in using for wedding decorators.
They replied but spelt my name incorrectly, when it was printed on the email very clearly.
AIBU to not use them if they can't even spell my name correctly when it is right in front of them???!!!

owlscatsandcakes Mon 18-Aug-14 09:20:02

Yanbu; I did the same once to someone who I emailed about prices for bereavement counselling.

I decided if they couldn't be bothered checking how my name was spelled I didn't want to open my heart up to them!

AN honest mistake perhaps?

If they had stuff I liked I'd be inclined to stick with them but maybe that's just me.

*An

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 18-Aug-14 09:24:18

It would certainly put me off. Depends on what your alternatives are.

I will avoid businesses if I don't like their signage though so might be at the extreme end of this. Currently having doubts about a new coffee shop due to a rogue apostrophe on their printed material.

FoxSticks Mon 18-Aug-14 09:28:09

I have one of those names that is always misspelled so it wouldn't bother me.

owlscatsandcakes Mon 18-Aug-14 09:35:33

So do I fox but it really does bother me - always has.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Mon 18-Aug-14 09:36:13

Same here Fox. I'm surprised when anyone spells it correctly.

It depends whether attention to detail is higher on your want list than 'love their stuff'. If you really like what they're offering and can't get it elsewhere, it might be better to email them telling them your concerns. If they can reassure you that they will get it right on the day and other

redexpat Mon 18-Aug-14 09:37:21

I think it shows either lack of attention to detail, or the fact that admin isn't their strong point, but perhaps they are kick ass decorators. It would put me off, but I wouldnt write them off just yet.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Mon 18-Aug-14 09:37:36

Sorry.
Other decorators' work isn't as good, you might be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 18-Aug-14 09:42:15

Depends if it was misspelt in such a way that you think you're getting a generic email, when you're looking for a more personal service, or if it was a typo and their stuff is so lovely you'd be cutting your nose off to spite your face

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 18-Aug-14 09:43:10

Cross post!

StrawberryCheese Mon 18-Aug-14 09:48:25

Hmm not sure. Autocorrect changes my name so I have to let it go if it's misspelt in a certain way as it's obvious it's an accident. However if someone continues to pronounce my name wrong even though I have told them how to say it, then that's just rude. Strangely enough that was with a wedding supplier too.

Squidstirfry Mon 18-Aug-14 09:52:33

I would have thought 'Precious much' really. But I suppose as it's for wedding stuff, they'll need to be able to spell names as a granted.

So in this instance YANBU but any other time YABU and precious.

momnipotent Mon 18-Aug-14 09:58:06

I always take this as a general sign of lack of attention to detail so it makes me think twice about using a company. I wouldn't cut my nose off to spite my face, but if there was another company that I could use that did bother to spell my name correctly, then I would use them instead.

FoxSticks Mon 18-Aug-14 10:09:45

It is annoying but I guess I am understanding about it. My old boss who I look loved dearly and told me I was like a daughter to her didn't spell my name correctly in five years! Come to think of it the extended family don't get it right either grin

RedToothBrush Mon 18-Aug-14 10:12:29

It depends on the business and what the competition was like. If it was a printers for example then this would be a massive no no for me and I wouldn't use them.

In this case, it being a wedding decorators, attention to detail is important, so it would definitely be a real concern to me. I would be looking at alternative companies, and seeing if there was anyone better out there. If there wasn't I would make a real issue about the error and make it very clear from the outset, that I expected a better level of service. I would also triple check everything and insist on things being in writing to avoid mistakes (so I could withhold payment if they did make a hash of it)

So no YANBU.

MsAstronaut Mon 18-Aug-14 10:22:58

Yes it depends. I'm a terrible pedant but I have become more understanding about this since having DS who is dyslexic. I'm still not very impressed if schoolteachers, or educational institutions like museums, get spellings wrong, because it's possible to check carefully and they should. But people whose business doesn't involve writing/spelling/information, then I assume it's not one of their strengths.

However my address includes a word that people mis-spell all the time, including my own sister and several publishing companies that I work for. It's not a matter of being bad at spelling, because the mistake is always the same. It's that the word is unusual and people just assume it has a different spelling (and pronunciation) and go with their assumption.

I don't act on it but I do privately think it sorts the sheep from the goats. People who are just so sure they are right they don't bother to read properly. When someone has bothered to get it right they go up in my estimation.

I once declined the services of a financial advisor who couldn't even spell her own company's name correctly!

My name gets spelled wrong frequently as it's unusual - I let people get away with it once. If they repeat the mistake, they just obviously aren't paying attention or are basically rude. I mean, if someone's name is unusual, copy and paste it! It's not hard to get it right.

DaisyFlowerChain Mon 18-Aug-14 10:40:35

It wouldn't put me off, everybody can make mistakes.

However names don't bother me, I don't care if somebody calls me Miss or Mrs or even addresses me with my husbands name. Never understood the angst.

mumeeee Mon 18-Aug-14 10:44:55

YABU. It was probably just a one off mistake. Perhaps it got changed by autocorrect in typing.

Castlemilk Mon 18-Aug-14 10:47:30

No, absolutely YANBU.

On their very first communication with a potential new client, their attention to detail is shoddy? Of course I wouldn't use them.

This is what advertising is, surely? Catch the attention of your potential clients. Show them in as many ways as possible that you will be better, quicker, greater value for money.

That first email with you was one of their most important advertising points. That's where they really should be hooking you in. Friendly, professional, indicating to you that they can do the job.

Total fail.

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 18-Aug-14 10:57:22

I'd never have been able to do or order anything if I'd worried about the spelling of my maiden name. It's one letter away from something a 1000x commoner and people always got it wrong.

EndoplasmicReticulum Mon 18-Aug-14 10:59:48

If I was put off by every company who spelled my name wrong I'd hardly ever buy anything - as with Elephants above it's one letter different from a much commoner name so people always make an assumption.

First parents' evening at son's school I took a pen and changed it on his books!

LookingThroughTheFog Mon 18-Aug-14 11:01:31

I have an unusual Surname (Name A). When you say it out loud, it sounds the same as another name with a different spelling (Name B). It's also similar to a fairly common surname, but doesn't sound like it at all (Name C).

A lot of the time when you say Name A, and spell it out as you have to spell it out, you see people fighting the urge to write Name B. If I have to fill in a form and write my name in boxes, it will almost always come back converted to Name B or sometimes a strange amalgamation of Names A B and C as people try to work it out. I'm pretty used to both of these types of misspelling. It's not their fault I have a strange name.

The only time my name's ever spelled right is if I type it into a form myself.

A few months ago, I set up a subscription to a magazine. I typed my details into an online form, set up the payment on a card that, surprise surprise, has my name on it (Name A!).

I type my name a lot - it's second nature to me. I always type Name A.

When the magazine arrived some weeks later, it was marked as for Name C.)

Now this doesn't bother me - it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things and I want the magazine rather than the wrapper, but still it had me boggling.

At some point someone has gone through their database, seen my name and thought 'but there's no such name as that! She must have got it wrong! I know, I'll fix it for them by giving them an entirely random name...'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now