To be shit scared of moving to burgess hill?

(65 Posts)
Movingfromlondontown Sun 17-Aug-14 11:52:07

I've made the mistake of doing lots and lots of googling and came across a website BHU ( burgess hill uncovered ) and am now pretty scared!
W decided to leave London ( concrete end of Surrey ) to give the kids a better life, smaller schools etc and being near to the sea but am now really panicked by what people are saying its like there.
Any locals that can let me know what it's really like?

WorraLiberty Sun 17-Aug-14 11:53:26

It all depends on what they're saying I suppose confused

Pickledradish Sun 17-Aug-14 12:07:08

Don't worry, its probably some snobby snits from Haywards Heath bitching (HH folk think they are far superior to BH residents just because they live 5 mins closer on the train to London).

As long as you don't wander about on Ditchling common at dusk, you shouldn't encounter anything dodgy.

ilovesooty Sun 17-Aug-14 12:11:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

VeryStressedMum Sun 17-Aug-14 12:13:33

Bit rude ilovesooty...

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Sun 17-Aug-14 12:14:22

What are you scared of? Not being able to start lots of multiple threads asking the same question?

LadyLuck10 Sun 17-Aug-14 12:14:40

I don't understand how you decided to actually move without doing any research? Not much you can do now.

Pipbin Sun 17-Aug-14 12:15:06

That was a bit rude of Sooty but the OP has asked this question about eleventy billon times already.
She thinks Burgess Hill is very rural.

ilovesooty Sun 17-Aug-14 12:18:40

Sorry if I was rude. But two threads this morning alone?

Pickledradish Sun 17-Aug-14 12:18:57

Trust me, I moved from CR0 to Mid Sussex 10 years ago (and moved since) but Burgess Hill is a breath of fresh air compared to Sarf Lundon.

VeryStressedMum Sun 17-Aug-14 12:19:59

Oh I see..(don't know why I opened this thread as I don't even know where Burgess Hill is..)

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Sun 17-Aug-14 12:22:25

I don't think Sooty was rude. The OP is being rude to people who live in Burgess Hill. Burgess Hill is a thoroughly decent place to live in, it's neither rural or scary and the OP has been told this on other threads.

It's suburban, got a ring road with lots of roundabouts, t'is very dull. But does have the Triangle sports centre which is good, if busy.

Andrewofgg Sun 17-Aug-14 12:24:19

They eat their young and burn witches. You have been warned.

AlpacaYourThings Sun 17-Aug-14 12:26:45

They eat their young and burn witches. You have been warned.

I knew it! Bastards.

Nancy66 Sun 17-Aug-14 12:28:47

BH is a perfectly Ok place to live. Some nice areas, good shopping and close to countryside and Brighton.

It's not the nicest area of Sussex but, if it was, it wouldn't be affordable.

Movingfromlondontown Sun 17-Aug-14 12:32:40

I've got 2 threads on this as I said in my last one I only joined today and I wasn't sure the first had gone through as I couldn't find it.
Sorry for starting two threads, it wasn't on purpose.

Movingfromlondontown Sun 17-Aug-14 12:36:53

Thankyou for the other replies however, it was a promotion that my husband wouldn't have got if we had stayed in purley so lots of reasons for the move.
We do know the area slightly as my husbands sister lives in Brighton but only by driving through, the landlord will be my husbands boss' brother and is for a minimum of 3 years to guarantee the school place for our son so it seemed a good move, nerves just kicking in now that's all.

WookieCookiee Sun 17-Aug-14 12:53:24

I wouldn't worry too much about dvhoolscrtc it is very differ t from lond

WookieCookiee Sun 17-Aug-14 12:57:01

Well let's try that again... Whilst mid Sussex is getting busier I don't think the pressure on school places is anything like London. Mid Sussex is lovely and if you don't like BH then you will find somewhere else nearby.
You'll be fine.

Movingfromlondontown Sun 17-Aug-14 13:48:07

Cheers for that
Hopefully we enjoy it and the schools do look far nicer
It's just a big adjustment and I'll need to learn to drive and at 30 that's pretty daunting!

MrsMarcJacobs Sun 17-Aug-14 14:22:33

A couple of way too harsh posts on here. It's hard leaving the London bubble (speaking from experience). Good luck with your move. The good thing about London is that it never goes away.

Sid77 Sun 17-Aug-14 14:38:12

I don't live far from BH and like you, moved to give kids a better life. There are far far far worse palaces than BH to live - I know the fb page that your talking about and they seem to enjoy making BH out to be terrible. It's fine and there are loads of other lovely places nearby. Close to the sea, the downs, London - loads to do, not so much traffic, fewer people, smaller schools, the list goes on.

Movingfromlondontown Sun 17-Aug-14 14:47:59

Sid77,
My sentiment exactly
Let's hope it's the right call, I think it is just going to be a tough old adjustment for us for a while

noddyholder Sun 17-Aug-14 14:50:00

Agree with pesto its a typical suburb Not very exciting but never heard anyone say anything bad about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now