To light the wood burner?

(27 Posts)
OublietteBravo Fri 15-Aug-14 20:52:23

Just that really. If feels autumnal and I'm cold. DH says I should put an extra jumper on. I want to light the wood burner.

TouchPauseEngage Fri 15-Aug-14 20:54:15

Me too! And I also have a 'wear a jumper' type DH. It's only 12degrees here. It's practically winter!

zoemaguire Fri 15-Aug-14 20:54:26

Is it under 14 degrees? Higher than that and apparently it fugs up the chimney with tar, I seem to remember from our wood burner instructions.

fairgame Fri 15-Aug-14 20:55:24

YANBU i had to sit my hands to stop myself turning the radiators on yesterday.

I did drag the winter duvet out at midnight on wednesday coz i was freezing in bed.

I don't do cold.

Honsandrevels Fri 15-Aug-14 20:55:58

I would, our open fire is going.

UriGeller Fri 15-Aug-14 20:57:14

Are you going to get it cleaned out? I'm not ready to light ours but it hasn't been lit since march and I wonder if it needs cleaning like a fireplace and chimney would?

12 degrees? Where are you?

TouchPauseEngage Fri 15-Aug-14 21:01:25

Uri in the Peak District at the top of a hill.

I've put the hearing on. I'm cold.

Or the heating. Much more effective against the cold.

JosieMcDozie Fri 15-Aug-14 21:03:56

Nope! Looking at mine roaring away!! Lovely and toastie smile

OublietteBravo Fri 15-Aug-14 21:07:32

I cleaned it out after I last used it. I'm presuming I don't need to get the flue cleaned just yet (we only got it fitted in October 2013, so it's not even a year old). Don't know if it is below 14 - might go and check the car thermometer.

lk26 Fri 15-Aug-14 21:08:48

Had mine on twice this week. Sooo cold here sad

Pinkrose1 Fri 15-Aug-14 21:08:49

I'm in the north of England and wearing a t shirt all day (as have the kids) and haven't felt cold. Certainly no heating! DS and I were kicking off the summer duvet last night (window open - of course!). I feel sticky now with a sheet and throw on.

And no I am not a hardy northerner but a transplanted southerner!

bunch of softies grin

OublietteBravo Fri 15-Aug-14 21:12:11

I'm a transplanted northerner - must be getting nesh!

specialsubject Fri 15-Aug-14 21:13:05

not worth lighting the woodburner at 9 at night!

and that presumption is the mother of all chimney fires! You need to get the chimney swept annually at least, between burning seasons. Sweeps will be easy to get hold of now so call one. Ours was round last week; he says he kicks his heels in August, in six weeks time he'll be flat out.

Giraffeski Fri 15-Aug-14 21:14:22

Honestly?blushblush
I'm really hot, in bed with just my knickers on and windows wide open!
Mind you, I am 28 weeks pregnant but still don't think that would make that much difference!

Fabulous46 Fri 15-Aug-14 21:14:42

I'm in Scotland. I have the fire lit tonight. It's nippy outside.

DH is a 'put a jumper on' type of bloke <<tight>>

So he is very pleased that I seem to be going through the menopause and am continually roasting at the mo. I'm still putting my fan on in the bedroom even tho it's cooled right down,
I want to be cold!!

But YANBU,

PinkSquash Fri 15-Aug-14 21:23:54

Clean your chimney before and after burning season- that's the advice I've been given!

CremeEggThief Fri 15-Aug-14 21:28:15

I think I would if I had one! My 7.5 tog duvet hasn't been warm enough the last few nights. I think I'll have to put the 10.5 on soon. Brr!

SweetPeaPods Fri 15-Aug-14 21:31:20

I'm roasting! No duvet for me again tonight, I'm considering putting the fan on. I am 32w pg though....

Joysmum Fri 15-Aug-14 21:31:49

not worth lighting the woodburner at 9 at night!

I don't got to bed till about 12.30 so not lighting the wood burner gives another 3.5 hours of cold to tolerate.

I'm sat under a quilt. I do feel cold tonight.

I get ours swept anually in May after what I believe to be the final cold spell.

OublietteBravo Fri 15-Aug-14 21:46:21

Snuggled up under my duvet. Will book the chimney sweep for early September (can't do earlier as we're about to go on holiday).

samsam123 Fri 15-Aug-14 21:55:48

all windows open as usual - hot flushes and dog who sits right on me

ThatLightbulbMoment Fri 15-Aug-14 23:07:48

It's 10 degrees here sad and I'm freezing but dp is hot bod and is sitting in only a thin pair of pj bottoms hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now