To work in softplay?

(43 Posts)
Fanfeckintastic Fri 15-Aug-14 13:50:57

I'm a bit nervous even asking as some of my friends reactions were that of horror!

I was made redundant a year ago (timing corresponded with the breakdown of my relationship, ex used to be a SAHD) and I couldn't actually afford to work and pay for full time childcare so I kind of decided I had no other option but to stay home for the year (on benefits for the first time in my life) I own my own home and am mortgage free so it wasn't so bad but DD is starting playschool in a few weeks so I have been looking for work and there's nothing suitable hours wise etc so I was at soft play yesterday with her and got talking to a manager and they're hiring for exactly the hours I need!

It's not even a twenty minute walk away from home and DDs playschool. I was pretty delighted to be honest as am intending on going back to college next year anyway but have mentioned it to a few friends and they're horrified, can't understand why I wouldn't just stay on benefits and have said they wouldn't "lower themselves" and that I'm "better than that", surely not if I've been on benefits for a year!!

Most of these friends are either working in jobs long distances away but have free childcare, on benefits themselves or SAHMs so I feel it's a bit rich for them to be so judgey! I'm only 26, is it really THAT bad?

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 15-Aug-14 13:54:21

YANBU. There's absolutely nothing wrong with honest work and as you already know, it's hard to find jobs with suitable hours when you have young children. Go for it!

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Fri 15-Aug-14 13:54:39

I don't think so at all. My sister volunteered in a soft play when she was 43, as she wanted experience of working with young children to get her on a early years course. She is now a nursery nurse.

If you like kids amd the hours are good, go for it!

shotyourfox Fri 15-Aug-14 13:56:25

Go for it!! Sounds perfect. What have you got to lose? smile

Fanfeckintastic Fri 15-Aug-14 13:57:37

Oh thank you!!

I'm so astonished at the snobbery though! "Would you not be mortified if x, y or z came in?" I'm mortified now when I bump into people and have to answer the "so what are you up to with yourself now?" questions!

meringue33 Fri 15-Aug-14 13:57:44

I love soft play. Sounds like fun go for it!

Squtternutbaush Fri 15-Aug-14 13:59:14

Nope I'd love to get back into it grin

WooWooOwl Fri 15-Aug-14 14:03:23

Your friends have a warped attitude.

fiorentina Fri 15-Aug-14 14:04:03

How rude of your friends! Go for it. Hope you enjoy it.

tryingtocatchthewind Fri 15-Aug-14 14:09:39

What snobs, a job is a job and anyway I can think of many worse than working in a soft play.

WorraLiberty Fri 15-Aug-14 14:10:14

Your friends are weird

Take the job and good luck

What are you going to do about childcare during the school hols though? Soft play is always busier during that time.

LizzieMint Fri 15-Aug-14 14:11:34

You need new friends! What's wrong with an honest days work, whatever and wherever it is? Really bizarre attitude and good for you for going for it.

Seriouslyffs Fri 15-Aug-14 14:12:00

Your friends are awful!

rookiemater Fri 15-Aug-14 14:38:02

It sounds brilliant, good on you for having the initiative to sort it out. Your friends on the other hand don't sound so good.

KatoPotato Fri 15-Aug-14 14:40:29

YANBU! what horrid friends you have! At least you'll be able to give us the inside scoop on how often the balls are cleaned, and think of the amazing things you'll see to report back to us!

rookiemater Fri 15-Aug-14 14:40:29

Oh and their circumstances are different from yours so they don't have the right to comment on your life.

At work I dropped a grade so I could truly work p/t - it suits us well as DH works longish hours and my parents are quite elderly so we have no other help. My sort of boss is lovely - she has a DD around the same age, but is always trying to convince me to go back up a grade and probably full time, conveniently forgetting that she has more family support than me.

As a working parent you have to do what best suits you and your family and any job that fits round childcare/playschool hours has to be a good'un.

toothlessoldhag Fri 15-Aug-14 14:43:33

Goodness me your 'friends' are nuts! You can hold your head up high that you're preferring to work rather than take benefits (not obviously that there's anything wrong about being on benefits if you've no choice). If I were out of work I'd jump at the chance of anything I could turn my hand to, just for the self-respect it'd give me.

And to be able to walk to work, sounds perfect to me.

Andrewofgg Fri 15-Aug-14 15:01:08

Take the job and get some real better friends.

HollyBen Fri 15-Aug-14 15:02:04

I would much rather tell people that I worked in sofy play than am on benefits (not that I have any issue with those who legitimately receive benefits). I am really surprised by your friends attitudes. Ignore them. You sound like you are making sensible options. Good luck

Andrewofgg Fri 15-Aug-14 15:03:07

And then tell your former friends that you took their advice and found a better job trafficking in children for a house of ill-repute!

museumum Fri 15-Aug-14 15:06:34

Sounds great. I have loads of qualifications and a professional job but I wouldn't be embarrassed to work in a soft play for a while if the hours suited my family life.

I'm not sure what job would embarrass me really.... obviously anything in the sex industry, and anything that I felt was exploitative or ripped people off, but any service I'd be willing to use then I'd be happy to work for.

museumum Fri 15-Aug-14 15:08:23

Oh, I know... I'd be embarrassed to admit to cold calling people about bloody PPI or cold calling about no-win-no-fee lawyers. Or selling loans with insane interest rates to people who can't afford them.

PinkAndBlueBedtimeBears Fri 15-Aug-14 15:12:59

Hold your head high, it's a job! In the current job market your (rightly!) glad to have any job going, it's perfect hours for you and your dd.. What's not to love?! Well down, you have found the perfect job for you.. Maybe they are jealous? :/

PinkAndBlueBedtimeBears Fri 15-Aug-14 15:13:14

*done not down!

toothlessoldhag Fri 15-Aug-14 15:19:28

And if you bump into people and they ask 'what are you up to' say: 'I'm chuffed to bits: I've got a job just down the road that fits in with DC hours'! Don't be embarrassed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now