...to sit cross-legged at my desk at work?

(42 Posts)

It's unprofessional isn't it?

I always sit cross-legged on my chair at work. It's a v v v relaxed office, people take their shoes off and all, so it doesn't feel wrong to do it here. But, I have a new job in a big corporate office. I can't sit cross-legged there can I? grin I know that the 'best' way to sit is both feet firmly on floor, no crossing legs, but it feels so unnatural to me. What's the right way to bloody sit on a chair?!

I think this is the weirdest thread I've ever written.

OnIlkelyMoorBahtat Fri 15-Aug-14 11:51:58

It's the weirdest thread I've ever seen! grin

I can't see this as being "unprofessional", unless your company has rules about how they expect their employees to sit at their desks (and frankly, I'd be hesitant to work somewhere that did, especially if the role was not customer-facing) so I'd say don't worry about it.

Although as someone with back problems (slipped disc, fused pelvic joints, yada yada yada) I feel honour-bound to tell you that not sitting properly for hours on end can play merry hell with your back (says the woman who always sits crossed-legged at her desk.) <End of unsolicited advice!>

GemmaTeller Fri 15-Aug-14 11:56:16

Sitting cross legged on a chair is bad for your spine and legs.

Betrayedbutsurvived Fri 15-Aug-14 11:58:13

Whaaaa? <looks under desk at crossed legs> so, big important client comes into office, takes one look, thinks OMG greyhound has her legs crossed, what kind of cowboy outfit is this? and takes his business elsewhere.! Ok, I'll admit, my work is fairly relaxed but I'm utterly gobsmacked at the possibility this is even a thing.

Blithereens Fri 15-Aug-14 11:58:59

I always sit cross legged/Buddha style on sofas/armchairs, but in my office chair I tend to sit with just one leg folded underneath me. Luckily I don't share my office so it's fine grin

I get terribly uncomfortable if I have to sit in a chair where I can't put/lift my feet up somehow.

DonnaLyman Fri 15-Aug-14 12:04:56

Do you mean cross legged like you would on the floor?

quietbatperson Fri 15-Aug-14 12:08:48

As long as you're not wearing a mini skirt then go for it!

chanie44 Fri 15-Aug-14 12:13:29

I sit crossed leg at my desk at work as I find it more comfortable as I'm only 5ft.

I do sit properly when someone pops in to see me though.

asmallandnoisymonkey Fri 15-Aug-14 12:13:45

I have to do this because I'm so short - I can't reach the floor if I'm at the right height for the computer so it's the only sitting position that's comfortable for me.

(yes I've tried footstools, none of them are tall enough - sometimes I use boxes)

Oh phew - I'm glad it's not just me! I guess I'll see when I get there - it's not a client facing role. I get weird twitchiness if I cross my legs and who likes sitting normally with their feet flat?! Not I grin

Suzannewithaplan Fri 15-Aug-14 12:37:49

I'm more comfortable sitting crossed legged / half lotus style, I can't see how it is bad for your back?

Me624 Fri 15-Aug-14 13:17:15

I sit cross legged too quite often or sometimes with one leg under me. No one else does and I'm sure they all think I'm weird but it's what's most comfortable for me and I don't really care what anyone else thinks!

KatoPotato Fri 15-Aug-14 13:21:06

legs in a basket?

Crinkle77 Fri 15-Aug-14 13:24:57

I have never heard of sitting with crossed legs being unprofessional and have never given it a second thought.

Oh good, Crinkle. I just don't want everyone to think my slobby seating preferences are a reflection of my general attitude/worthiness of job. grin

SavoyCabbage Fri 15-Aug-14 13:28:01

Having crossed legs is not the same as sitting cross-legged though I don't think. I might be wrong but I think the OP means sitting like a reception child listening to show and tell, but in her chair.

Yes that's what I mean Savoy. Cross-legged - not one leg over the other.

5Foot5 Fri 15-Aug-14 13:31:17

The only time I have ever heard anyone object to sitting cross-legged is the lady who runs our orchestra who is very keen on posture and is for ever nagging the kids to sit up straight and not cross their legs (and stop eating sweets and so on) Funnily enough the adults manage without being told.

Never heard of anyone objecting to it in the office though....

RiverTam Fri 15-Aug-14 13:35:00

I've not sat cross-legged but I have knelt on the chair or sat with a leg tucked up under me. But I work in the meeeedja so no-one gives a hoot.

SantanaLopez Fri 15-Aug-14 13:37:23

I once worked for someone who insisted that we all sat properly in the office. They were a total arse, no normal person cares!

This is weird, I was expecting everyone to say wtf are you doing sat cross legged at work you slob?!

I still sit with my back straight, I'm not hunched over or anything. Just find it sooo much more comfortable to be sat cross-legged.

The things I worry about hmm

BuilderMammy Fri 15-Aug-14 14:22:01

I sit one leg tucked under me, or with my chair reclined, a giant cushion behind my back and my legs up on a small stool. It does strike me that I probably look quite unprofessional but I couldn't care less, if I've to sit in that chair for 8 hours a day I'm bloody well going to be comfortable!

fiorentina Fri 15-Aug-14 14:32:33

As long as you aren't flashing in a Sharon Stone kind of way, I don't see this as an issue or unprofessional..

BiddyPop Fri 15-Aug-14 15:13:44

I am about to bring my yoga ball to work to sit on, to help my posture.

Yanbu

My first ever AIBU where I thought I would get 100% YABUs - I love MN! <feels vindicated>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now