To consider a c section when not needed?

(23 Posts)
freyaW2014 Thu 14-Aug-14 08:50:10

I'm 21 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. My first was born 11 years ago following a 12 hour labour, diamorphine, lots of stress then ended in an emergency c section due to malpresentation (head facing back). At the time I had a lot of support but it was pretty traumatic.
This time I'm in my own, I'm having the baby as a single mum and I don't live near any family except my dad who will be looking after dd age 11. My close friends live miles away an have kids and my due date is Xmas eve or the 27th if going on dating scan. My dad drives a kit car so my only way to hospital is via taxi/ambulance.
I'm terrified!
If I have a planned section, my work colleague and friend will be able to drive me and stay with me (she's lovely) and I can plan everything better time wise and over Xmas. It would put me in control and I would be more comfortable knowing what to expect. What do you think? Aibu?

Anomaly Thu 14-Aug-14 08:54:14

You've already had one section so I expect they will be happy to perform a second. I wouldn't necessarily say you want one for convenience more that its what you want. Do you have support once home as recovery can be a while and you won't be able to drive. For what its worth my elective with my second was a doddle compared to the exhaustion and subsequent section with ds1.

I think the main relevance is your previous pg. But you'll be monitored closely so if any of the previous problems (or new ones) arrive, you'll be in a better place to plan.

But requesting a C-Section at one of the busiest times of the year, when the hospitals are overflowing, because you are worried about how to get there? Seriously ?
Get a taxi.
Your family can visit you, they don't need to drive you there,

As for being in control and knowing what to expect - the best laid plans etc.

When you have your next appointment with your Midwife, discuss your plans WRT your last labour,and you're 11 years older now,
Good Luck smile

mumaa Thu 14-Aug-14 09:04:55

Do what you feel comfortable with, I had and ECS due to my DD being breach, it wasn't what I wanted but having been through it, I can say I had a really good experience. Being planned and not an emergency everything was explained, it felt very calm and I could not fault the staff at our hospital for how wonderful they were.

Its your choice, do what you feel comfortable with, for whatever reason. Its your body and your experience, do what you feel is right and not what you feel you should do. Ultimately, if you feel more comfortable with an ECS you are likely to be less stressed and anxious which is better for you and the little one.

freyaW2014 Thu 14-Aug-14 09:05:21

How to get there isn't the problem it's more going through labour and childbirth on my own.
Also the timing, bit worried hospital staff will be preoccupied with Xmas or there will be less staff etc

paxtecum Thu 14-Aug-14 09:09:45

Will anyone look after you when you come out of hospital?
A C section usually takes longer to recover from.

freyaW2014 Thu 14-Aug-14 09:11:27

Yes support at home is not an issue, my dad actually lives with me currently and is absolutely lovely and very supportive smile

alwaysdoinglaundry Thu 14-Aug-14 09:31:04

A C section usually takes longer to recover from.

Not the case for an elective. Recovery from my forceps delivery took 6-8weeks, after my elective CS I was off all painkillers and driving within a week. Ask to see a consultant to have a discussion about it. They would usually do elective CS at 38-39 weeks so won't be at Xmas.

Chorister Thu 14-Aug-14 09:44:54

I had a horrendous experience when my son was born, awful labour ending in an emergency section under general anesthetic. It was an awful, traumatic and terrifying experience and took a long time for me to recover from physically and mentally.

We desperately wanted another baby but I was terrified that history would repeat itself, so before we even started trying I spoke to my GP, explained my fears and he told me he would make sure I would have an elective section if that's what I wanted.

And he kept that promise. DD was born by elective section. It was a wonderfully calm and controlled experience, I recovered quickly, managed to establish (and continue) breast feeding (which I tried and failed to do for DS).

If you have a genuine reason for wanting a section (and from your previous birth experience you have that reason) speak to your midwife and explain what happened and your fears.

But remember a section comes with it's own difficulties and dangers. And you need to consider all of the options open to you.

hazeyjane Thu 14-Aug-14 10:05:36

Not the case for an elective

This is not always the case, I had a very long recovery from my elective cs.

ArethaFranklinstights Thu 14-Aug-14 10:10:50

Birth is a feminist issue. It's your body and how you choose to deliver your baby is your business. Go for the section if you want one. You don't have to justify wanting one to anyone.

Hurr1cane Thu 14-Aug-14 10:11:33

If I had another it would be through elective c section. Though I'm not having another.

Because my last c section was such an emergency they had to get him out fast and ended up really badly scarring my insides. I still haven't recovered, 8 years later. But I'm just grateful they managed to get him out and save us both.

DownstairsMixUp Thu 14-Aug-14 10:12:34

You are still 21 weeks so have plenty of time to decide. I don't think YABU though. As for recovery times, there's no set times. Some women recover quickly from ECS and same with vaginal whereas some people will tell you their ECS was a breeze compared to the recovery from vaginal birth. It's all really different from everybody. It took me a long time to recover from my ventouse birth with my first son, this time I'm having a section so have no idea what to expect but anything less than 6 weeks I will be happy!

wrapsuperstar Thu 14-Aug-14 10:13:10

My emergency section (also due to malpresentation!) was hellish to recover from. 2 years 5 months later, my elective section was a breeze. A really happy, healing experience and I happily walked out of hospital and home to muck in with both kids 24 hours later.

It is not at all the case that they will be 'happy' to offer an ELCS to you just because you've had an EMCS. Especially as yours was so long ago. VBAC is very much the favoured option these days and even though my EMCS was messy, resulted in a huge PPH and other complications, I still had to argue my case to have a better birth experience for me this time. So do be prepared for that.

I think your reasons are actually fine, and I think you shouldn't underestimate how your previous birth experience might have affected your views. Have a chat to your midwife about it, and good luck.

MrsWinnibago Thu 14-Aug-14 10:15:50

Your first birth was like my first birth and I never considered anything but a c section for number 2. It was so nice in the end, very relaxed. I recovered well and after 2 weeks was up and about as normal.x

SlinkyB Thu 14-Aug-14 14:03:14

I had an emcs three years ago for my first, then an elcs earlier this year for my second dc. It wasn't difficult to get the consultant to agree to an elcs.

I was very very unfortunate to develope a rare complication of the spinal block this year though, resulting in me being put in an induced coma for the first few days of my baby's life, and missing the first two weeks completely.

I think a birth without complications is mostly down to chance and luck, so just choose the one that feels right for you and your family. Definitely don't try and justify your decision to anyone, it's your body.

mumtobetothree Thu 14-Aug-14 15:53:27

Congratulations, I don't have anything to add, I've had both a c-sec and a VBAC and would say if it was me I'd try for the VBAC, I was home within 4 hours, it was marvellous, however I'm not you.

I'm due 27th too smile

freyaW2014 Thu 14-Aug-14 16:12:40

Thanks everyone!

Congratulations mumtobe!

heraldgerald Fri 15-Aug-14 19:32:05

Op Yanbu. I've just been through requesting this at the hospital and had a really helpful thread on here where lots of posters helped me to feel more empowred and reassured that I should request a elcs. I'm crap with links but it was still being responded to in aibu yesterday.

Good luck!

Namechangedforthisohyesidid Fri 15-Aug-14 19:35:08

I think as long as you are aware what the risks are and listen to people like slinkyb you should do what you want. I had horrible first birth and am two weeks after a section now sitting happily in my garden and honestly, honestly it was one of the best experiences of my life. Happy to message you with details and tips if you want.

Good luck whatever you choose

Itsfab Fri 15-Aug-14 19:41:19

I don't think YABU, I think you are making a decision without all the facts.

You know that a c section is a major operation and it is hard enough to manage when there is a partner to help. I am biased as I had a very bad experience with mine but please look at all other options first.

My section was necessary to save my child but due to incompetence with the staff meant I couldn't have the family size I wanted and I nearly lost my life and my babies' life. Please don't have an unnecessary operation.

Booboostoo Fri 15-Aug-14 19:58:40

Inform yourself of the risks of all birth options and make your decision. I weighed up the risks and went for ELCS and I am having a second one in two weeks.

Eatriskier Fri 15-Aug-14 21:17:21

After a traumatic labour resulting in EMCS with DD, I was pretty sure I wasn't going through that again with DC2. However I decided to keep my options open and said I would consider the 'facts' for VBAC over ELCS. They didn't convince me, basically given my circumstances it left me with a 50/50 chance of going through days of labour only to need another EMCS. I wasn't willing to take that chance. They didn't attempt to change my mind at all once I'd made it. But I found them more happy with my choice being considered than they were with a friend who just couldn't face going through that again and dug her heals in, though she did get her ELCS in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now