Would you go to a bar for a hen do 8 months pregnant?

(58 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Wed 13-Aug-14 22:07:29

There's a story in my local news about a woman not allowed in a club where her and her friends were on the guest list for a hen do because she wasn't wearing heels. The door person allegedly said she managed to wear heels while pregnant

A huge amount of comment are along the lines that the woman should not have been out in town at night or in a club because there were too many risks involvedconfused

fatlazymummy Wed 13-Aug-14 22:10:35

Yes, I would have done when I was younger. I wouldn't have worn high heels though.

TidyDancer Wed 13-Aug-14 22:10:48

Personally probably not. But I would defends any woman's right to do so. I saw that story today and the bar were utterly ridiculous.

BookABooSue Wed 13-Aug-14 22:11:09

I can't believe they have a wearing heels policy - how bizarre!

As for your question I went to nights out when I was quite heavily pregnant. Ah, the joys of singing karaoke stone cold sober. grin

rootypig Wed 13-Aug-14 22:12:38

Oh for the love of god, where else are pregnant women not allowed? confused I didn't go into bars or clubs too boring but I worked full time and rode my racing bike about London until I was 39 weeks and that got me some looks, I tell you grin

WooWooOwl Wed 13-Aug-14 22:13:13

Yes, I would have done for a friends hen night.

I organised a hen night recently and there were three pregnant hens, two very heavily. The rest of us made a big effort to make sure they were comfortable, and while they left earlier than the rest of us, it was a non issue.

MsBug Wed 13-Aug-14 22:15:34

I would / did, but not in heels

ICanSeeTheSun Wed 13-Aug-14 22:16:17

I would have but not worn heel, I can't walk properly in heel when not pregnant never mind when 8 months pregnant.

moldingsunbeams Wed 13-Aug-14 22:16:37

I never wear heels ever and I am not pregnant. What kind of weird rule to dictate entry based on heels hmm

5madthings Wed 13-Aug-14 22:16:42

Yes I would and have done, why the fuck wouldn't you?

Nicknacky Wed 13-Aug-14 22:17:33

I was in pubs at 8 months pregnant and was wearing heels. Didn't cross my mind not to go!

ICanSeeTheSun Wed 13-Aug-14 22:17:36
edwinbear Wed 13-Aug-14 22:18:45

Absolutely. I wouldn't miss a friends hen do because I was pregnant. I don't believe we are expected to enter a period of confinement these days. I probably would have left early if I got tired bored of drunk people repeating themselves being stone cold sober but I would have gone for a while if I wanted to. Not in heels though.

BumpNGrind Wed 13-Aug-14 22:19:54

I'm 32 weeks pregnant. I recently went to a comedy night which was in the separate bar area of a nightclub. At the end of the night, the bouncer wouldn't let us out of the main door (which we had entered through) but insisted we walk through the main nightclub instead. It had three flights of stairs, stank of cats pee which I was told by drugs and alcohol worker friend was the signature smell of m-cat and when I popped in to use the loo, there were people snorting drugs in the toilets. That's without the music which felt like it was pulsing through my belly and the drunk people who nearly stumbled into me. I was in this club for less than 10 minutes and I've never felt so uncomfortable so no, I wouldn't go to a nightclub.

However, I completely defend this woman's right to go, and be treated the same. I also fully defend her right to wear clothes and footwear she decides are right for her.

Idontseeanyicegiants Wed 13-Aug-14 22:20:54

I would and did, and in heels smile
Nightclubbing totally sober isn't all it's cracked up to be and I left them to it at around midnight but it's not exactly scandalous for a pregnant woman to be out having a good time!

wheresthelight Wed 13-Aug-14 22:21:40

i was in a pub the day before my induction and up until 38 weeks was still in high heels albeit in agony by the end of the day!

The club are arseholes!

I got thrown out of a club in Leeds (also on a hen do) because i had a safety pin in my dress - apparently it was a weapon

ICanSeeTheSun Wed 13-Aug-14 22:22:01

I would have pointed to the men who was walking in without heels.

ADHDNoodles Wed 13-Aug-14 22:22:58

I wouldn't. Sober clubbing is a waste of time. Also, I'd be worried about drunk people bumping into me or knocking me over.

But if someone else wants to do it, not really my business.

hollie84 Wed 13-Aug-14 22:24:20

I've been on two hen nights in my life - one at 6 months pregnant and one (a weekend) at 8 months. Different pregnancies.

moldingsunbeams Wed 13-Aug-14 22:26:34

some of the comments on our local paper are calling for social service and a child protection order hmm

mostly its full of men saying she shouldn't even be out at night...

cogitosum Wed 13-Aug-14 22:27:05

I did at about 34 weeks

Jumblebee Wed 13-Aug-14 22:32:24

I did, didn't wear heels because I never do. Even treated myself to a proper cocktail shock

gobbynorthernbird Wed 13-Aug-14 22:34:47

She should have stayed at home wrapped in cotton wool.

NellyNoodle1 Wed 13-Aug-14 22:36:31

I'm astounded.

It's illegal to discriminate against a pregnant woman.

As for wearing heels I take it that was a cover for not letting her in because she was pregnant - as I presume the men don't have to wear heels so there is also a case for gender discrimination too - also against disabled people too - I love heels but can't always wear them as I a disability. Take it I wouldn't be let in either then if I was having a bad day?

Notso Wed 13-Aug-14 22:38:37

I've been clubbing when pregnant and in heels.
I couldn't wear them with DC3 due to SPD but did with my other three DC.

It sounds like an awful club, doubt they missed much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now