in being a bit wary?

(18 Posts)
iamdivergent Sat 09-Aug-14 11:30:06

My dmum is having a significant birthday soon. Initially she had booked at a chain hotel and was having use of their function room etc; she has now decided to move it to her local pub. Now I don't mind this but - said pub is tiny, no separate function room and will be open to the public at the same time.

I don't drink. We will be travelling 70 miles to get there after work on a Friday (even if we got half days dds will be in school until 3 anyway). DDS will be with us (9 & 6) too. I am just a bit confused about the whole thing.

Obviously we will have somewhere to stay so could retreat there before it gets too late, but being out and about in large town centre on a Friday night isn't my idea of fine specially with my dds in tow.

So AIBU in feeling a bit nervous/wary and feeling like I would rather not?!

SantanaLopez Sat 09-Aug-14 11:34:44

Will they even be allowed in?

iamdivergent Sat 09-Aug-14 11:36:19

Hmm i didn't think of that - my dmum works at this pub, she knows that the dds would be coming as she invited them confused

Hurr1cane Sat 09-Aug-14 11:46:15

I'd not have my DS in my regular pub at that time on a Friday night.

DP works there, I know the landlord. I love the people who go there.

But while there on a Friday night they smoke and drink till they're very pissed, some have been on drugs, they swear and shout and talk about inappropriate things.

It really isn't the place for a child. Although I'm quite comfortable there and never feel threatened, id still never have a child there

iamdivergent Sat 09-Aug-14 11:47:45

Hurr1cane that's my thinking but she will not take it well. I've bee go gosling licensing laws but can't find anything concrete.

Hurr1cane Sat 09-Aug-14 11:49:06

Can you not just go and leave DH and DDs at home?

iamdivergent Sat 09-Aug-14 11:53:21

She wants us all there which I can understand, just her venue of choice isn't great for us

Hurr1cane Sat 09-Aug-14 11:56:38

Yeah, surely if she works there she could see that it isn't an appropriate place for children?

There won't be easy parking in the town centre either will there?

I'm trying to think of a nice way to say it.

Could you just presume that it's now child free because of the change in venue and turn up without them and then if she says anything say

"Oh I just assumed they wouldn't be allowed in so late" and look really sorry, then she won't hold it against you as you could put it across as a genuine mistake?

Deftones Sat 09-Aug-14 11:57:14

I'd go but then I love a pub as does DD and she does festivals and what not so has seen a fair few folk from all walks of life.

I'd understand your mum being upset but it's your choice and your children

iamdivergent Sat 09-Aug-14 12:06:00

I've not spoken to her yet. Parking will be fine, she has a space at her house so just a 15mins walk away from pub.

I was brought up in pubs and I just wouldn't do it to my dds, it's not for me. I will need to have a think and see what I can do about it sad

Hurr1cane Sat 09-Aug-14 12:10:53

I wouldn't like walking my DC late at night either though. What are the taxis like in the town centre? In mine you have to join a queue of people who regularly fight etc.

iamdivergent Sat 09-Aug-14 12:13:56

At this area of town they are few and far between but I suppose we could book one in advance so that's always an option.

wheresthelight Sat 09-Aug-14 12:28:37

Licensing laws for family puns still state they have tp have left by 9am.

You would need to see if they have a family licence because if not the kids cannot go in!

Hurr1cane Sat 09-Aug-14 12:34:08

Where'sthelight was that 9pm?

iamdivergent Sat 09-Aug-14 12:38:26

It/we are in Scotland if that makes any odds

wheresthelight Sat 09-Aug-14 12:39:28

Haha Yeah sorry!

ADishBestEatenCold Sat 09-Aug-14 12:59:14

I think the children may not be allowed in after 9pm, unless there is a room entirely separate from any bar.

I think licenses can vary according to layout, type of service. etc, but the local council's licensing department will be able to tell you exactly.

Hurr1cane Sat 09-Aug-14 13:23:11

Haha I was trying to figure out how 9am would work for ages until I realised. I think I need more sleep

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now