Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

To want to shout from the roof tops how evil the mirena coil is!!!

(108 Posts)
RunRunRun123 Fri 08-Aug-14 08:39:51

I know there have been 1000s of posts about this and widely discussed, but I am genuinely shocked by the difference since I had my mirena coil removed and just needed to share. When I had it put in Dr assured me little to no side effects. At the time we were going through a bit of a stressful situation but I have always been a strong coper and was fine. Then within about a few weeks my moods started to spiral. I would feel anxious, panicky, burst into tears etc. I went back to dr was told no way was it the coil I was obviously just very stressed. Having two young children, they were assumed the cause. My parenting changed, I went from positive gentle parenting to struggling to control shouting and angry outbursts. In a fit of happiness I threatened and tried to leave my absolutely wonderful husband and children thinking I was obviously a bad thing for them all, On my husbands request I returned to the GP worried I was having delayed PND, was reassured again about coil and told me they thought I was depressed. But I started to research it all and I didn't think I was depressed as it would come on in cycles, directly linked to ongoing break through bleeding etc. I ended up insisting coil was removed, and pretty much had a row with the GP about that decision! That was 4 weeks ago and my life has transformed! Once again I am calm, happy, confident. I feel I am parenting my children 1000 times better, I am attracted to my husband and our sex life has returned to what it was. I haven't cried or shouted since one week after it was removed (I had a bit of a crash for a week after!). I am really, really genuinely shocked by the profound affects this had and when I researched into it, even more shocked by how common this is! I wish I had done more research prior to having it fitted rather than relying on the GP. I know GP's receive a lot of money for promoting and fitting the coil but I do worry this is at a cost of warning patients that though on on hand it works wonders, it can seriously screw you up on the other!

treaclesoda Fri 08-Aug-14 09:21:31

Is the coil really linked to financial incentives for GPs? My GP doesn't even offer the coil as an option, and I know loads of other practices that don't either. You'd think if they were getting money for it they'd be queuing up to offer it.

Xenadog Fri 08-Aug-14 09:23:10

My doctor has done the hard sale of the Mirena Coil on me and I just don't feel happy having it. Thanks for this post OP as I am happy to stick with my POP and your post reassures me it's the right thing for me.

YellowStripe Fri 08-Aug-14 09:26:17

It worries me to continually read of the difficulties women seem to face when requesting the removal of their coil - GPs treating them like they dont know their own mind - and body! It must feel like some sort of assault, being refused removal of something that is causing so many negative effects.

Doobledootch Fri 08-Aug-14 09:29:24

Agree with others, obviously it'll be fine for a lot of women, but being firmly in the hormonal contraception doesn't work for me cohort, I think there is definitely an issue with the way in which the side effects that these can have are often not very well understood or taken seriously by those that prescribe them.

Marylou62 Fri 08-Aug-14 09:31:44

Another who thinks it is brill...No periods and mostly stable PMSwise...I've had one in for 17 years (not the same one!!)...changing it is a bit of a nightmare...as scaring from colposcopies...but it is a small (painful) price to pay....the money I saved on super sanitary towels!!
Please don't scare women like this...I could have written this about the pill...sent me dolally and the migraines!! But it didn't work for me that's all....
If any one is reading this and been put off....it might be for you, it might not...mine worked from day one...another friend had to wait a while and loves hers too...another friend had it taken out after a few weeks....
Whats a good...they just take one out and immediately replace it..Had it done about 5 times now...

Doobledootch Fri 08-Aug-14 09:32:32

Just reading the cross-posts theendoftheendoftheend it is beyond shocking that your doctor won't remove your coil, it doesn't matter what your reasons are for not wanting it any more, if you want it out he should take it out!

I'd suggest complaining to the practice manager and moving to a different GP. In the meantime you could always have it removed at a family planning clinic.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 08-Aug-14 09:36:10

Glad your feeling better run

Really shock at how hard it is to get it removed, how dare they refuse it's your body.

Have friends who have had bad experiences too. I won't touch it, but can't have one anyway. I'm yet to find the method that suits me.

Hope all of you battling to get it removed stage manage it. Stage a sit in if you have to. thanks

shouldnthavesaid Fri 08-Aug-14 09:37:48

I've had mine since November, fairly regular spotting and cramping since insertion. First month was hell with contractions, vomiting, A&E and repeated 'near expulsions'.

I've been told if I was 'normal' they'd have whipped it out by Christmas, but because I have suspected endo and was pretty ill with every period (i.e. being admitted for IV meds) they won't take it out and I just have to 'put up with it'.

Have to say it's better than what I had before but I am miffed a bit, I was told it would most likely stop my period - instead, I'm now spotting three weeks, one week break, spotting four weeks, three day break, etc etc.

RunRunRun123 Fri 08-Aug-14 09:38:29

treaclessoda yes you'll find most aspects of what a GP offers and what drugs, treatments etc they administer are linked to financial gains and incentives, equally they are penalised for a number of things as well. If the practices don't offer it it is likely they don't have a trained GP to carry out the procedure. GP surgeries resemble private businesses far more than you think, they are driven by certain targets and outcome frameworks for which they get paid additional monies, decisions are made by the business owners (the partners) and many decisions are encouraged by what will make the greatest profit rather than meet the greatest need. GP partners then get to take the dividends of these profits. Some surgeries remain true to patients needs, some don't!

specialsubject Fri 08-Aug-14 09:39:14

ah, the old 'evil GPs get paid to work' thing again. You think they should work for free?

it didn't suit you. Hormonal contraception has different effects on different people; basic science. It is not 'evil' it is just wrong for you.

RunRunRun123 Fri 08-Aug-14 09:43:12

I don't think GPs should not get paid, I was simply explaining how they operate as businesses in response to Treacles question. I think many GPs do a wonderful job but such a system is vulnerable to surgeries chasing profits, it hugely depends on what the GP partners at the individual surgery are like and what motivates them. Not saying GPs are evil at all, many do a wonderful job, but it is a system which is open to vulnerabilities at the expense of the patient.

Lally112 Fri 08-Aug-14 09:43:42

I have PCOS and don't use any contraception, All of it fooks me up really and I have spent years trying to undo the mess three months on the pill did to me. Artificial hormones just don't work well with my body.

ChoccaDoobie Fri 08-Aug-14 09:46:04

My SIL had the same experience op. My DW otoh loves hers. She had a few issues in the first months such as cramps etc but is now fine. Well done for getting it sorted though.

hercules1 Fri 08-Aug-14 09:46:39

It's been nothing but fantastic for me.

cardibach Fri 08-Aug-14 09:47:27

Mine can't be fitted in the Drs, Run. I have to go to hospital, so it's nothing to do with trained GPs. It has a successful outcome for many women - I have only ever met people with positive stories, which makes me wonder about all the negativity on the web...

elephanteraser Fri 08-Aug-14 09:48:53

could you not just by-pass the gp and go to the family planning clinic if you want it taken out?

ThePinkOcelot Fri 08-Aug-14 09:51:11

I absolutely love mine. Will be getting it changed soon. Have heard that it's not great for everyone though.

treaclesoda Fri 08-Aug-14 09:52:34

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my earlier post, I should have explained myself better.

I understand about how GPs surgeries are run as businesses, as I have previously worked in health service finance (including making payments to GPs) and I also have some friends who are GPs.

What I meant was more why would there be incentives to fit the coil over and above incentives to carry out any other procedure? They are paid a fee for so many different things, why would the coil be any different?

As it happens, I believe that my GPs surgery is run for the treatment of patients, because it is easy to get an appointment and the standard of care is good. I used to be registered with one that was very clearly a business - waiting for weeks on an appointment, constant use of locums because the Drs didn't want to take on another partner and share the profits and my particular favourite, a refusal to pay a practice nurse, which meant if you needed any sort of intimate examination the receptionist was called in to chaperone hmm.

shouldnthavesaid Fri 08-Aug-14 09:54:41

I was going to say the same - mine wasn't done at GP level, I was admitted to hospital due to need for anaesthetic. So it staying it and being promoted has nothing to do with GP financial incentives in my case, I actually genuinely think they want it in for my benefit. I was told my options are having it, having an ablation (and thus taking away the chance of ever having children) or spending 3 days every month either bedridden or in hospital.

I just wish sometimes that they were more honest about the side effects and what can happen - no one told me I'd end up curled up on the floor in my gynaecologist's waiting room two days after insertion, but when I did they just said , 'oh yes that happens sometimes, not unusual' etc.

higgle Fri 08-Aug-14 09:56:20

I loved mine, no periods for 5 years and mood changes or anything else detrimental, I wish they had been around years earlier.

trice Fri 08-Aug-14 10:24:59

I loved mine. I had two with a baby in between. I got pregnant a month after having it removed. I found it to be very effective and I loved not having periods.

lessthanBeau Fri 08-Aug-14 10:40:59

just had my old one replaced, its my 3rd, I love it, it works for me.

fluffymouse Fri 08-Aug-14 12:00:39

I had one. I loved it. No periods whatsoever, and no side effects otherwise.

I only remove it to TTC smile

Eauneau Fri 08-Aug-14 12:22:04

I'm really sorry to totally hijack this thread, but can I just ask all those who think its great and have no periods - did your periods stop straight away or did you have some very erratic bleeding before things settled down?

I had mine fitted about 2 months ago and have woken up to yet more bleeding. I think I am bleeding probably 2 weeks out of every 3 and its starting to annoy me a bit now. The bleeding isn't heavy but its certainly more than just spotting, like my periods on the pill I guess. The whole reason I chose it was because of the 'no periods and just forget about it' thing!

JabberJabberJay Fri 08-Aug-14 12:25:06

If you have

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now