To wonder about all those 'love rats' in women's mags?

(19 Posts)
fishdishwish Sun 03-Aug-14 17:17:19

I'm no genius or oil painting, myself, but most of them don't appear to have much going for them in the looks or brains department.

How the hell do they manage to attract one women, let alone two simultaneously?!!!

Vitalstatistix Sun 03-Aug-14 17:20:03

I don't think they do.

I think take a break and all that are the UK equivalent of US supermarket tabloids.

They are my guilty pleasure. I will feel like I have died and gone to heaven the day That's Life runs their first I Had An Alien's Baby feature.

Nancy66 Sun 03-Aug-14 17:20:53

The women tend to be desperate and not exactly supermodel or MENSA material themselves.

EatShitDerek Sun 03-Aug-14 17:25:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vitalstatistix Sun 03-Aug-14 17:28:21

I know.

What is more likely - that your new bloke takes you out under cover of darkness to deserted pubs and never lets you near his house and says that he works for MI5 or is in the SAS and has to disappear for undercover missions (on weekends and over xmas...)

or...
...he's married.

ilovechristmas1 Sun 03-Aug-14 17:35:35

no there's plenty of desperate women out there that will take on these guys,i often wonder why anybody would want them,but sadly they do

they have often moved in (to the womens) house within the month,engaged by 3months and not that far after start another family together.

the sad part is its still going on with young women,they put up with all sorts,with all their opportunities its seems mad to me

women just seem desperate to have a guy about at any cost makes me sad and angry all at the same time

FrankSaysNo Sun 03-Aug-14 17:39:22

Ou can read plenty of these sorts of stories within the relationships board. It stems from little nuclear family, usually no male role model growing up, and low self esteem. Its very tragic.

Iflyaway Sun 03-Aug-14 17:42:48

Yea, I agree, lots of women (and men) are desperate to be coupled up so lower the bar, to their own detriment.

Mind you, I bet most of those stories are made up....

x2boys Sun 03-Aug-14 18:21:31

Alien baby really that sounds fab vital there does seem to be a lot of women in take a break in their 70,s going to turkey and meeting a twenty year old and than being devastated to find out he has cheated whilst accepting her life savings ! I am fourty overweight and quite grey when I don't dye my hair there is no way on earth I would think a twenty year old found me attractive!

x2boys Sun 03-Aug-14 18:26:04

Even if I was an attractive slim fourty year old I wouldn't think a twenty year old found me attractive .

Vitalstatistix Sun 03-Aug-14 19:09:03

I know. I feel genuinely sorry for such people because I know it comes from a deep longing and loneliness and god knows we all want and need to be loved. Their vulnerability makes them targets and makes them perhaps more, erm, willing to believe what otherwise they might not.

I mean, I'm sure there is the odd lithe, tanned, 25yr old adonis fallen hopelessly in love with 68yr old Gladys from mablethorpe and the occasional 23yr old slender beauty bowled over by the attentions of 79 yr old Derek from bolton but I suspect it doesn't happen often.

I feel angry that people are taken advantage of but equally I feel angry that we live in a world where people have nothing to sell but themselves and feel they have no option but to live a lie.

It's shitty all round.

fishdishwish Sun 03-Aug-14 19:13:17

Quite, vital.

It's clear that there are a lot of vulnerable and desperate people out there.

BrianButterfield Sun 03-Aug-14 19:16:46

Often they actually read the magazine and acknowledge that they've seen this sort of thing before, but somehow for them if was different. It is sad, but there are usually people who tried to tell them and they wouldn't listen ("My daughter, Tracey, told me Nazeem was only after my money but I told her it was love. Now she no longer speaks to me." There's a line like this in every article.)

Tinkerball Sun 03-Aug-14 19:17:37

Its the older woman/younger Turkish or Tunisian man "love" stories I love - no matter how many they are published, no matter how many inevitably go disastrously wrong usually leaving the woman penniless, theres always some woman telling her story who believes she either is different (hasnt went wrong yet) or was different at the start, its really love!

x2boys Sun 03-Aug-14 19:18:45

It is take a break does seem to attract these unfortunate people though there also seems to be a lot of women who think a man is ' gorgeous ' and then when you see a picture they are not ' so much' crappy magazines have a lot to answer for.

x2boys Sun 03-Aug-14 19:23:22

Tinkerball they are my guilty pleasure!

NoMoreHappyMrsChicken Sun 03-Aug-14 19:26:37

I used to write some of these stories for the magazine mentioned. I can say with 100% guarantee that they are true and not made up in any way sad.

Vitalstatistix Sun 03-Aug-14 19:28:29

That is really really depressing, MrsChicken.

Poor buggers.

fluffybunny84 Sun 27-Mar-16 14:53:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now