to think there is something wrong with Americans?

(1000 Posts)
TheBloodManCometh Sat 02-Aug-14 21:51:16

In Colorado, here for 5 weeks.

Why the HELL is there a half inch gap on either side of the door in all public toilets?? You can see everything going on!!!
This has been the case everywhere I've been in America?
AIBU to be both baffled and embarrassed

lighthearted btw. I don't really think there's something wrong with the Americans

That does sound odd. Do Americans lock themselves in more than average?

TheBloodManCometh Sat 02-Aug-14 21:55:26

Maybe? No one else thinks it's weird. I try and hang my coat and bag strategically from the door

I agree. I HATE that about American loos! Why are they like that and why do Americans presumably not think it's odd?

thecageisfull Sat 02-Aug-14 21:56:47

Someone told me it was so you couldn't shag in them, which I wouldn't think was so much of a problem to force a redesign, but what other explanation is there?

Suefla62 Sat 02-Aug-14 21:57:18

If a door is closed we don't bother to look!

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 02-Aug-14 21:57:22

I've noticed this in America as well. I actually quite like it though because I'm claustrophobic and the openness of the cubicle comforts me confused

Euphemia Sat 02-Aug-14 21:57:47

It is a tad disconcerting, isn't it?!

What is it usual to do with sanpro? There were no bags in our hotel room so I asked the chamber maid for some and she gave me a massive bin bag. confused In public toilets you stuck sanpro in this wall-mounted thingy that didn't seem very hygienic.

BrianButterfield Sat 02-Aug-14 21:58:06

I agree, it's weird, and I can never work out how to flush them either! I remember standing in the loo at JFK thinking "SOMETHING on this toilet must flush it!" It turned out to be a weird handle thing on the back of the actual seat - hard to explain but it took ages to find.

HermioneWeasley Sat 02-Aug-14 21:59:12

I read somewhere that cubicles in the US are standard size/construction. Not sure why thT explains the gaps in the frame though, but if you notice they are much more standardised than the UK.

TobyZiegler Sat 02-Aug-14 21:59:28

While I dislike your thread title... I was also shocked the first time I used an American public loo. I can't understand why the gap is needed. When you're on the toilet you can see out, therefore anyone else can see in? I avoided using the toilet anywhere but the hotel <prude>.

seagull70 Sat 02-Aug-14 22:00:11

Agree grin

Love America and love Americans.

But your toilet cubicles are just bizarre grin

angelohsodelight Sat 02-Aug-14 22:00:22

I think it stems from many years ago when people used to do drugs in toilets, so they introduced the doors with the gap to reduce drug activity. It worked so they stayed!

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 02-Aug-14 22:02:54

Trust me, we Americans don't go around peeping into the cracks in the restroom stalls.

Why don't people in the UK serve cream with coffee instead of milk, that's what I want to know.

And WHY are the water levels so high?

TheBloodManCometh Sat 02-Aug-14 22:06:07

I don't know what the benefit of having half inch gaps on the door would be if you got locked in, though. You could potential post plastic cheese through?

Chloe01mum Sat 02-Aug-14 22:08:04

As an IBS sufferer who can sometimes be caught very short I'm
a bit worried about my next holiday now hmm

LondonRocks Sat 02-Aug-14 22:08:08

YY Fifty

Talk about splash back!

<boak>

TobyZiegler Sat 02-Aug-14 22:08:53

I know why a lot of German toilets have a little shelf thing inside and the water level is below it and trust me you really don't want to know why that is.

TheBloodManCometh Sat 02-Aug-14 22:09:18

Chloe my wooly poncho has been a lifesaver because you can drape it.

I don't care if no one is looking in, I can see everyone whilst in there!

TheBloodManCometh Sat 02-Aug-14 22:09:46

Toby you can't say that and no say why! !

And what is it with the high water levels?

GilmoursPillow Sat 02-Aug-14 22:10:14

Canadian toilets are the same.

I get claustrophobic in public toilets. Think if I was locked in the gap would stop me panicking

Fuck! Wanker iphone grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.