Au pair is a pain in the arse

(97 Posts)
Loletta Thu 31-Jul-14 19:01:59

Fussy eater, chain smoker, doesn't clean up after himself, opens a pack of ham every day without finishing the one he's opened the day before. Suppose I can't kick him out, can I? He's due to leave on Sunday after being here for 4 weeks angry

er, no. Not really. just be glad he's off at the weekend.

I assume he doesn't smoke in the house or in front of the children. If he did, I would had words already.

And I am a smoker.

ArtVandelay Thu 31-Jul-14 19:04:59

You have left it rather late to complain. Did he not agree to certain rules and conditions when you employed him?

phantomnamechanger Thu 31-Jul-14 19:07:05

has this just started? if not, why have you let it go till now?

Loletta Thu 31-Jul-14 19:08:10

He does smoke in front of the children! He smokes while he plays football even!
We've had to tell him to go and smoke at the end of the garden because with this hot weather all the smoke come in, but no, he'll do it for a couple of days and then start smoking in front of the back door again. Our garden is over 200ft so it's not like he couldn't move further down.

Loletta Thu 31-Jul-14 19:09:06

When I come home from work I find dirty plates in the sink angry

Loletta Thu 31-Jul-14 19:19:05

The thing is, I used to be a heavy smoker and now that I've stopped I've become really sensitive and I get a massive headache from second hand smoke

Castlemilk Thu 31-Jul-14 19:24:01

What the fuck?!

I would go ballistic and tell him the second he lights up when he's not at the end of your garden he could pack his bags, and you'll put him in a travelodge until Sunday.

Castlemilk Thu 31-Jul-14 19:24:19

... the most inconvenient, rural travelodge you can find, of course.

It's only a couple more days, you've done well to put up with him for this long.

phantomnamechanger Thu 31-Jul-14 19:27:35

get rid, he's been told about the smoking and is disobeying your wishes! what an entitled git! not fit to be caring for kids IMO.
where did you find him? presume he had good references?

greeneggsandjam Thu 31-Jul-14 22:47:44

What possessed you to choose him in the first place??

scarletforya Thu 31-Jul-14 22:49:25

I'd tell him to stop smoking and if he doesn't like it then he can go home early!

ssd Thu 31-Jul-14 22:51:42

why did you employ him then?

blueshoes Thu 31-Jul-14 22:55:42

You have to put up with him if it is just for a few days.

You might want to reconsider what lessons you learnt in hiring him and in allowing things to carry on for as long as they have. Did you try to performance manage?

hollie84 Thu 31-Jul-14 22:55:57

I'm not sure you're really cut out for employing someone!

Doesn't your contract say anything about smoking during work hours?

Loletta Thu 31-Jul-14 22:56:59

So it's my fault for employing him then? hmm
Yeah because introduce themselves saying that they're chain smokers and they don't wash their plates

hollie84 Thu 31-Jul-14 22:59:40

Surely if you employed him on the basis he wasn't a smoker, and then he chain smoked, you'd give him a warning or sack him or something?

Amy106 Thu 31-Jul-14 23:02:51

He sounds awful. Just be glad he is off on Sunday. I hope the next one is better. (Will there be a next one?)

Loletta Thu 31-Jul-14 23:06:13

Some of the comments on here:

"Did you try to performance manage"

"I'm not sure you're really cut out to employ someone!"

Eh?

5Foot5 Thu 31-Jul-14 23:07:11

Well I guess if you have put up with it this long you can last until Sunday but is there an agency or similar who you can give feedback to?

BoffinMum Thu 31-Jul-14 23:07:33

I certainly hope it wasn't naice ham.

matildasquareded Thu 31-Jul-14 23:08:49

I just imagine him like a frat boy, surrounded by ham and cigarette butts.

Tell him to fuck off tomorrow.

Loletta Thu 31-Jul-14 23:11:23

It was nice ham.
I hate throwing good away.
What prompted me to post was his reaction to dinner tonight. He said he would prefer pizza and he was going to not even touch what I had prepared and shove a pizza in the oven. I don't know what kid of family he comes from...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now