To think you don't pick the flowers from someone boarder - even if does line along the path.

(23 Posts)
Smilesandpiles Thu 31-Jul-14 17:43:23

Next doors kids are forever picking my flowers. Everything from the bushes to the daffodills (that no longer grow there thanks to them).

I'm bloody sick of it. I've tried talking to the parents but nothing unless they come to moan at me for their kids getting hurt on the more prickly of the bushes. To make it worse, because they do it, every other kid in the universe thinks it's ok too! I'm lucky if I have a week of decent flowers before they are picked away, and this bed is almost the same length as the house - so it's not small.

I'm also fed up with picking up wrappers, cans and bottles from my beds too because of them.

Luckily one set are trying to sell their house. The sooner they are gone the better. I just hope I have a quiet, older couple that likes plants in place of them.

Sometimes I think I'm going mad, but I'm pretty sure you don't let your kids pick the flowers from other peoples gardens...or do you and am I just being grumpy?

Suefla62 Thu 31-Jul-14 17:44:57

Go outside when the kids are doing it and tell them to stop.

steff13 Thu 31-Jul-14 17:47:21

I don't let my kids pick people's flowers. Maybe plant something particularly prickly there, to discourage them? smile

I was stopped at a traffic light one day, and witnessed a woman pull over into the median, get out, and dig up flowers from the landscaping in front of a mall! I was shocked!

Smilesandpiles Thu 31-Jul-14 17:47:44

Sorry, I should have mentioned I've already tried that. At least 4 times a week, every week for the past 4 months.

steff13 Thu 31-Jul-14 17:48:21

Go outside when the kids are doing it and tell them to stop.

Or spray them with the hose. If the parents get mad, you can say, "gosh, I was just watering my plants, what were your kids doing there, anyway?" ;)

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 31-Jul-14 17:48:30

Put up a fence? Or grow something really prickly and/or poisonous.

I'd be tempted to let the nettles take over.

CruCru Thu 31-Jul-14 17:49:33

Hmm. Perhaps you need a sprinkler that comes on whenever they do it.

Smilesandpiles Thu 31-Jul-14 17:49:43

I have planted prickly things there. The parents moan at me when thier kids get hurt by them. Pointing out the obvious to kids and parents isn't working.

"If you/they didn't pick the flowers and plants they wouldn't be getting hurt would they?"

Just resulted in me getting a mouthful of abuse back.

Smilesandpiles Thu 31-Jul-14 17:51:00

Oh for god's sake, why didn't I think about putting a fence up in the first place.

Thanks. That should do it.

CrohnicallyDepressed Thu 31-Jul-14 17:51:07

I'd be tempted to put something unpleasant there. As mentioned, something prickly perhaps? Or if you have a friend with a dog, could they be encouraged to toilet in the area? Horse manure to fertilise the plants? Hose and sprinkler? I remember reading about chip shops installing things that make a high pitched noise that is inaudible to most adults age 30+, but incredibly annoying to teenagers/children, I wonder if they are available to the general public?

Latara Thu 31-Jul-14 17:52:43

That would really really piss me right off!

Definitely put up a small fence if you can afford it - electrified!

AnAwfullyGoodOxymoron Thu 31-Jul-14 17:53:15

What's a boarder of flowers when it's at home? grin

Smilesandpiles Thu 31-Jul-14 17:53:38

I'll hook it up to the mains myself if I could get away with it.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 31-Jul-14 17:54:10

Sorry if I stated the obvious blush

steff13 Thu 31-Jul-14 17:55:01

You could stick some poison ivy in there...

Smilesandpiles Thu 31-Jul-14 17:55:40

I'm glad you did. I honestly didn't think to do that. To make it worse, other neighbours put fences up for that very reason, so I had no excuse not to think of it.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 31-Jul-14 17:57:20

If you like animals then geese are good at guarding things aren't they? Quite territorial I've heard. grin

I like the idea of spraying them with the hose too. If it works for cats...

Smilesandpiles Thu 31-Jul-14 17:57:41

Thanks for picking up on the spelling error - do you feel better now?

Smilesandpiles Thu 31-Jul-14 17:59:11

I would love geese. Unforunately, someone else has them on our estate but I've not heard them for a while now so I assume someone has complained...shame

curiousgeorgie Thu 31-Jul-14 18:02:20

YANBU... I'd never let my children do this. It's rude and upsetting.

Is it possible to put up a fence?

TiggyD Thu 31-Jul-14 19:48:06

Ring the non-emergency police. It's theft.

rumbleinthrjungle Thu 31-Jul-14 19:57:09

Can you find your local PCSO? Ours was great some years ago when we had a family who used to send their kids to play on our (enclosed) front lawn and chase our ducks.

picnicbasketcase Thu 31-Jul-14 19:59:45

No, they absolutely shouldn't let them. I would let DD pick daisies and dandelions but anything else, no, and definitely not on other people's property.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now