AIBU to feel slightly miffed that my friend announced her holiday on Facebook first?

(30 Posts)
luckypeach Tue 29-Jul-14 23:29:33

Backstory: we do not live near each other anymore but still keep in touch regularly by whatsapp to share news e.g. new job, interview or just general chit chat about our day. Neither of us has had a huge amount of money to spare so something like a holiday is a 'big' deal to us.

Anyway, friend has announced via facebook that she is off to exotic location for a holiday. I am over the moon for her but it feels weird adding to the zillions of comments saying 'lucky you' when it would usually be something she'd have been dying to tell me (or text me) herself first. AIBU? Fully prepared to be told I am. I know she is not obliged to tell me or anything like that, just a bit shock that it has come out of the blue and she will know I have only found out through FB.

Pipbin Tue 29-Jul-14 23:30:44

biscuit

stargirl1701 Tue 29-Jul-14 23:30:46

YABU.

I think this is not a big deal, so YABU. Sorry.

rockybalboa Tue 29-Jul-14 23:39:04

YABU. I had to read your thread twice to realise that you were actually in fact talking about a holiday and not a wedding or a new baby. I am a big fan of FB and post on it a lot but am always somewhat baffled by people with viewpoints like yours.

affafantoosh Tue 29-Jul-14 23:39:26

YABU.

FlossyMoo Tue 29-Jul-14 23:40:04

YABU.

It's not really that big a deal is it.
Is your friendship the sort where she has to run everything by you first?

Get off FB and start spending time with friends either in person or on the telephone <old giffer> grin

WorraLiberty Tue 29-Jul-14 23:40:35

I'd think it a bit odd but nothing to start a thread about

TimeForAnotherNameChange Tue 29-Jul-14 23:42:08

Seriously?

Seriously?

Whilewildeisonmine Tue 29-Jul-14 23:43:37

Yes. YABU.
Just confused

MissBattleaxe Tue 29-Jul-14 23:47:54

YABU.

Maybe she couldn't tell you until she booked it? or maybe it doesn't matter in the slightest?

YABU

If this is something to wind you up and annoy you, id love to live your life wink must be a breeze if you find time and space in it to get upset over something like this

Montegomongoose Tue 29-Jul-14 23:50:17

Completely unreasonable.

Unless you're both in Year 7?

luckypeach Tue 29-Jul-14 23:50:40

yes I know it sounds completely trivial, so fair enough, thank you for your replies so far.

I know its not a huge deal, I suppose I just feel saddened about our relationship changing, feeling distant from each other's lives as well as geographically distant. I am not annoyed about it!

(Of course she doesn't have to run it by me first!)

wafflyversatile Tue 29-Jul-14 23:51:46

All I can say is that it is lucky you are fully prepared to be told YABU! grin

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 29-Jul-14 23:52:40

Oh wow. Yes, you are being over sensitive.

Choosing to post on FB about an upcoming holiday, without running it by you first, should have no bearing on your friendship.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 29-Jul-14 23:53:32

x-posts.

Happydaysatlastforthebody Tue 29-Jul-14 23:54:29

She's done nothing wrong here but I completely understand your feelings.

luckypeach Tue 29-Jul-14 23:55:32

waffly grin you're not wrong!

its just an ongoing feeling of one-upmanship that I should know better to ignore and not feel put out by anything I read on FB anyway!

Thomyorke Tue 29-Jul-14 23:55:59

Maybe that you don't have money at the moment makes it a hard conversation to have for her without feeling like she is bragging.

luckypeach Wed 30-Jul-14 00:11:20

yes you are probably right Thom but all the facebook stuff feels a bit like 'bragging' too.

must stop being so over-sensitive then!

brokenhearted55a Wed 30-Jul-14 00:57:10

Do

brokenhearted55a Wed 30-Jul-14 00:57:33

Hit send

brokenhearted55a Wed 30-Jul-14 00:59:24

I dont know whats up with my phone tonight.
Hit send too early, twice.

Do people announce holidays? Are they now as important as births deaths and marriages?

Bogeyface Wed 30-Jul-14 01:04:52

Actually I am going to say YANBU, if, if, this isnt about the holiday but the fact that she didnt share news with you first that she normally would have done.

It can feel like you are being phased out or downgraded and that hurts. It doesnt matter if its a holiday or a wedding or a baby, if you would normally get the "OMG!!!!!......." phone call but then start to find things out via a FB status, it makes you wonder if the friendship is changing.

I can see why the OP is upset. It isnt about the holiday at all but about the fact that she wasnt #1 on the call list, she wasnt on the call list at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now