To think we need a Dadsnet?

(115 Posts)
mumtoateen Tue 29-Jul-14 08:56:09

So dads cannot be single parents? There's a nansnet and mums net but no Dadsnet. Yes there's a single topic for it, but surely dads should be able to have their own site?

17leftfeet Tue 29-Jul-14 08:57:26

So start one

but you might want to think of a different name

gertiegusset Tue 29-Jul-14 08:58:04
JennyOnTheBlocks Tue 29-Jul-14 08:58:27

Why should MN have to provide that though?

Are men not capable of setting themselves up?

gertiegusset Tue 29-Jul-14 08:59:12

Ah, I see what you mean, start your own or do you think MNHQ should do it for them?

mumtoateen Tue 29-Jul-14 09:01:30

MNHQ should. It's a very gender orientated service they offer. Is this was a site mainly for males women would hit the roof. Why is it not like that the other way round?

shakethetree Tue 29-Jul-14 09:03:36

If men wanted a parenting site I'm sure they'd be one out there, but I doubt that enough do tbh - look at the dadsnet section on here, you have to fight your way through the cobwebs & tumbleweed to find it.

YABU.

CuttedUpPear Tue 29-Jul-14 09:03:38

As gertie said,there is one. Not much traffic on it though, so the dads come over here, and either self identify as chaps or not, whatever is their personal choice, and join in with the convos and advice.

JennyOnTheBlocks Tue 29-Jul-14 09:04:08

Yes, what about the menz?

hmm

Oh please, why should MNHQ do this?

gertiegusset Tue 29-Jul-14 09:04:12

MNHQ already offer a Dadsnet topic, it is very underused.
There are loads of male oriented sites.
MN isn't a social service, men are quite able to make a site for themselves if they think it would pay.

firesidechat Tue 29-Jul-14 09:06:27

Really? Men post on here fairly often and they seem quite happy. The nice ones anyway.

I also don't have a problem with sites biased towards men.

If men want to talk about their "issues" then they can start one too, just like everyone else.

confused

Szeli Tue 29-Jul-14 09:07:10

Because having a target audience isn't a crime? It was set up by mums, although all genders and shock even non parents post on here, Dads aren't confined to the dadsnet thread like grans aren't confined to the grans net thread. Look past the name

CatKisser Tue 29-Jul-14 09:09:25

What has prompted this thought, OP?

mumtoateen Tue 29-Jul-14 09:09:30

But men would be put of by the mum in mums net? It's horrible sexist, like it or not.

OTheHugeManatee Tue 29-Jul-14 09:09:48

There is a Dadsnet. It's called Pistonheads.

HTH grin

Bifauxnen Tue 29-Jul-14 09:11:18

There is a dadsnet already. Didn't you think to Google before you started this thread?

I have to agree, the internet is completely controlled by women and men need to get a fair crack of the whip. Those poor men when they do use the internet get trolled and harassed and threatened with rape if they state an opinion etc. It's women's jobs to set them up a safe haven to discuss their issues without women shouting them down all the time.

Oh wait.......

hmm

NotNewButNameChanged Tue 29-Jul-14 09:12:07

The whole reason the Dadsnet area is so quiet is..... because it is so quiet. It is self-defeating. So the men (of which I am one) frequent the normal boards. And actually, there are quite a lot of us. Some of us are even decent, normal people!

Does make me laugh when you get threads like one I saw yesterday where women were complaining about car parking spaces at supermarkets, especially if they were marked "mother and baby" or "mother and child" because "they should say parent and child". On a site called Mumsnet.... smile

Oh please, women would hit the roof if this was a male dominated site? hmm

You've got this information from where exactly?

pippitysqueakity Tue 29-Jul-14 09:12:30

Off you trot and set one up then. Put your money where your mouth is. Please let us know how you get on.

JennyOnTheBlocks Tue 29-Jul-14 09:12:51

why don't YOU start a parenting site for dads then, OP?

CatKisser Tue 29-Jul-14 09:12:54

Well I'm not a mum and I'm not offended by it. Seems like you're trying to pick a fight but have picked a total non issue!

gertiegusset Tue 29-Jul-14 09:12:57

Anyway, in your OP you say 'So Dad's cannot be single parents?'

MN isn't for single Mothers either.

And YY to Pistonheads and PieandBovril or whatever it's called.

When did the word mum become sexist?

firesidechat Tue 29-Jul-14 09:13:05

Yes, but it's not our job to supply this. Men are perfectly capable of starting a Dadsnet if they want one. I don't understand this thread at all.

HauntedNoddyCar Tue 29-Jul-14 09:14:09

There certainly was a dadsnet site. It was a dark and lonely place when I went there investigating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now