To think it is NEVER ok to buy someone something to 'slim' into?!

(47 Posts)

Friends partner has just bought her two dresses in a size smaller than what she is. Deliberately. Told her it would give her motivation... WTF?!

I would be livid if my DP done this to me! She doesn't seem bothered? Said it was nice of him to buy her dresses???!!

Littleturkish Mon 28-Jul-14 20:08:38

Totally depends- shows he has faith in her ability to lose weight?

mrsbucketxx Mon 28-Jul-14 20:09:12

Id be fuming too.

Translation your fatter than I would like, I would like you to be this size.

Out of order, is she not angry at all.

MrsJossNaylor Mon 28-Jul-14 20:09:20

Is she on a diet and openly talking about said diet? If so, YABU, I think he was doing a nice thing.

If she wasn't planning on losing weight, though, it was rather insensitive. More info needed!

magpiegin Mon 28-Jul-14 20:09:50

Is she currently trying to get to that size? If so, I would be happy with that.

Yup, get that but surely you would wait and buy her the dresses after she'd lost the weight?

He said he wouldn't marry her if she was a 'heifer' she is a size 10-12.
I think he is an arse!

Frontier Mon 28-Jul-14 20:13:40

If it was support for a diet she wants to do then it's nice and supportive, if that's the way she sees it, that's fine

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 28-Jul-14 20:13:48

Ok for yourself, albeit potentially setting yourself up to fail, definitely not ok for someone else.

steff13 Mon 28-Jul-14 20:15:34

He said he wouldn't marry her if she was a 'heifer' she is a size 10-12

I foresee bigger problems with this relationship than her size...

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 28-Jul-14 20:16:09

Is your friend upset about it?

If she has been banging on about wanting to lose weight and mentioning buying herself something to slim into to her dp? If she has, he may be trying to be supportive.

WitchWay Mon 28-Jul-14 20:16:09

A heifer size 10-12!!! shock angry sad

caramelwaffle Mon 28-Jul-14 20:16:34

It depends very much on the context.

Happy36 Mon 28-Jul-14 20:16:54

If she is actively dieting I think it's a well meant gesture, however one size smaller might be more motivating than two over the long-term.

If she is happy with her current weight then it is not a reasonable thing for her partner to have done!!

caramelwaffle Mon 28-Jul-14 20:17:22

X post

To my knowledge (which might be limited as I do to see her that often) she has never mentioned wanting to lose weight to me. I just Instantly fumed when she told me.

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 28-Jul-14 20:18:31

She shouldn't marry him while he is a controlling dick.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 28-Jul-14 20:19:54

He's a twat. That's it really.

And I bet he's Mr fucking universe...

MrsGSR Mon 28-Jul-14 20:21:31

Her DP sounds like a twat.

But I'm slowly (DD is 6 months!) losing weight to get back to my pre pregnancy size. I'm buying odd bits and pieces in my old size as motivation so I would be very happy if DH did the same. So it does depend on your how your friend feels.

Bunbaker Mon 28-Jul-14 20:23:46

How tall is she?

TheFairyCaravan Mon 28-Jul-14 20:24:39

I would be pissed off if DH did that to me, the same way as he would be pissed off if I did it to him.

Her 'D'P sounds like a cock who she'd be better off without!

Rafflesway Mon 28-Jul-14 20:25:36

What a vile man!! Heiffer 10-12???

I am not prone to violence but sorry he would be wearing those dresses himself. Controlling dick doesn't even come close. angry

Frontier Mon 28-Jul-14 20:26:21

As you don't see her often and she is apparently thrilled do you think it's possible her dp knows her best and actually got something that to her is a good thoughtful gift? Doesn't matter how you'd feel - the gift wasn't for you.

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 28-Jul-14 20:27:09

Whatever her weight..if he actually called her a heifer..he is a dick.

I was there when the heifer comment was made!

I think it's horrid and controlling sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now