In thinking Mother and Baby car parking spots....

(402 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Mon 28-Jul-14 12:52:49

....are actually for parents with babies/toddlers?

It was always my understanding that the wide spaces are for parents who have car seats and pushchairs to contend with, not for parents of 10 year olds who just want to park nearer to the shop, like a family that I saw today?!

I'm only moaning because I've just twisted and scraped my back trying to remove my car seat from my half closed back door door, in a very tight parking space whilst trying not to scratch the car I'm parked next to.

I was secretly fuming at those in the Mother and Baby spaces who surely shouldn't have been there, like the one I mentioned above.

And breathe smile

fledermaus Mon 28-Jul-14 13:12:56

ICan - because it's easier to put the car seat on the trolley than to carry the baby.

Idontseeanyicegiants Mon 28-Jul-14 13:13:38

Parking as far away as possible never works. We used to park over the opposite side of the car park, no cars anywhere near and come back to find cars parked as close as possible either side of us angry
Despite having hundreds of other car parking spots to choose from!
Every. Bloody. Time.

slightlyconfused85 Mon 28-Jul-14 13:14:14

hercules that doesn't mean that free space will not have someone in it by the time you return from your shopping. This someone will probably also have parked extra close to the car seat side...

ziggiestardust Mon 28-Jul-14 13:14:25

YANBU. I agree. They're provided for people with small children. If you take up one, and you don't have a genuine need, then you're being unreasonable and lazy. Parenting is being catered for more than it used to be; it's easier now to be a parent than it used to be, because places are making things more convenient.

I find the people who get arsey about these subjects are bitter because they didn't have these conveniences when they had children, and seem to begrudge those conveniences to others. Odd.

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 28-Jul-14 13:15:40
CharlieSierra Mon 28-Jul-14 13:16:10

Maybe those parents want to ensure that their ten year old doesn't wang the door open into a closely-parked car?

maybe at 10 a child could wait until the parent comes round and opens the door for them? Or be aware that there are consequences to 'wanging open' the car door next to someone else?

YANBU OP - babies and toddlers in car seats maybe need extra width, they don't need to be nearer the shop. Older children don't need extra space, they need to do as they are told in a busy car park. What really pissed me off lately was noticing that my local Sainsbury's has now created disabled/parent child spaces. Since when has having a child along equated to a disability?

fledermaus Mon 28-Jul-14 13:16:51

I'd much rather keep a little baby in their comfy car seat than lay them on a grubby plastic trolley seat given the option.

FraidyCat Mon 28-Jul-14 13:17:05

I think P&C spaces are fair game for all

There's always multiple posters on these threads pointing out that the space are just a courtesy (as if that justifies people who don't qualify for them using then.)

At my Asda on Saturday, I noticed that the sign said that a £70 PCN notice will be issued to anyone not entitled to use them. i.e. exactly the same sort of fine as you would get for (say) driving in a bus lane. So it's not always true that they are just a courtesy.

(It's not that the sign is new, I've just not really noticed, as I seldom use the P&C spaces, as one has to cross several extra speed humps in the car park to get to them. They are similar distance to the store entrance compared to other spaces, but further from car park entrance.)

ziggiestardust Mon 28-Jul-14 13:19:51

Good point fraidycat

SistersOfPercy Mon 28-Jul-14 13:19:52

At my Asda on Saturday, I noticed that the sign said that a £70 PCN notice will be issued to anyone not entitled to use them. i.e. exactly the same sort of fine as you would get for (say) driving in a bus lane. So it's not always true that they are just a courtesy.

Still unenforceable though, whereas your bus lane analogy would be enforceable.

TheFairyCaravan Mon 28-Jul-14 13:21:11

Charlie they've probably looked on MN where it is often said having a small child is like being disabled! shock hmm

MiaowTheCat Mon 28-Jul-14 13:22:35

Tesco's signs state in small print that it's for parents of children under 5... totally ignored, especially since the carpark also serves the local school so rather than park in the spaces near the school gate, they'd rather grab all the P+C spaces for their 11 year old just out of principle.

I wouldn't use the bloody spaces if Tesco would put some twin trollies around more bits of the carpark than just clustered next to the P+C bays - they're more bother than they're worth.

Patrickstarisabadbellend Mon 28-Jul-14 13:26:04

It's a parking spot. Who gives a crap.

LuluJakey1 Mon 28-Jul-14 13:31:52

I think they should be well away from the shop entrance so other users are put off using them. I have no objection to the spaces but do object to them being the closest to the shops. There should be more blue badge spaces closest to shops.

My mum had a wheelchair and a blue badge and we found there were often fewer disabled spaces than P and C. If we parked in a P and C because the disabled spaces were full, I could guarantee either remarks or filthy looks or horn tooting from mothers with children. One woman took my car number plate and told me she was reporting me. Another told me I had no right to use the. space and one adult in a wheelchair is much easier to manage than a baby and two toddlers!

I have honestly never come across the level of rudeness and entitlement I came across from mothers regarding P and C parking spaces.

I am pregnant and hope I will never behave that way to someone - especially someone with a blue badge, clearly struggling with a wheelchair and a disabled person.

sr123 Mon 28-Jul-14 13:32:38

I use them with my disabled 7 year old. I need the space more now than I did when he was a baby or toddler.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 28-Jul-14 13:35:38

Just park further away, far, far away from everybody else. Great exercise too. P&C parking is a supermarket sop, it's not the same as disabled parking and there are no legal restrictions for it.

kinkytoes Mon 28-Jul-14 13:37:11

YANBU OP I agree with you! If your child needs help to get out of the car then you need the extra space more than a child who can get out under their own steam. I'd say up to age 6 or perhaps even younger.

A car with an older child with a disability could surely use a disabled parking spot which also offers more space.

Ronmione Mon 28-Jul-14 13:38:36

They aren't necessary. Generations of parents managed without them. that's true but cars are so much bigger these days and are just getting wider with every new model.

My heart sinks when I see a 4x4 has parked next to mine and I know I need to be double jointed to get in the car without touching theirs

FraidyCat Mon 28-Jul-14 13:39:00

Still unenforceable though, whereas your bus lane analogy would be enforceable.

Can you explain this? Do local authorities really issue unenforceable fines?

unlucky83 Mon 28-Jul-14 13:40:59

They aren't essential but they are convenient...
I use them if there are plenty free with a 7 and 13 yo! Asda is definitely up to 12. And it isn't cos it is closer etc but because there is more space so less chance of the DCs slamming the car door open into the car next to you...
I agree completely with the thoughtless people parking right next to you in an empty area of car park ...I think some people don't like their car to get lonely or something...lost track of the number of times that has happened to me...
(also one occasion -standard parking - there was me, empty space, car, 3 empty spaces - a car decided to pull into the empty space next to me and sat there blocking the roadway waiting whilst I struggled to get DD2 with twisted straps fastened in!!! -Why????)

But if there was only one free I would tend to leave for younger children...know its harder with young dcs (especially more than one) and a trolley in an open car park - the reason most of them are under a covered walk way cos you have to faff around getting your DC out of the trolley and unloading your shopping in the pouring rain - takes much longer ... also less chance of a DC running off behind a reversing car whilst you make your way across a car park...much safer
However I drove past the only free P&C space recently, parked further away as I walked past saw that it had been taken - by a woman in her 20s in a sports car - no DCs, no car seats I was angry hmm.

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 28-Jul-14 13:41:14

kinkytoes, it is difficult to get a blue badge for a child and you need a blue badge to park in a disabled bay.

MaryWestmacott Mon 28-Jul-14 13:46:43

Generations of parents didn't have cars (it's really only this generation of parents where the majority have a car in the day, it was common when I was growing up in the 80s to have one family car that dad took to work, we were unusual having 2 but we were also unsual that my mum worked in a professional full time job), and they certainly didn't have carseats to get DCs in and out of. (I had to politely explain to my MIL that the lovely moses basket she bought me wouldn't be going on the back seat to put the baby in while I drove, and yes, I could see you could put the seat belts through it, but I'd still get in trouble with the police if I didn't buy a car seat....)

I was about 7 when my parents put seat belts in the back of the car, I think it was a couple of years before the legislation came in that you had to and we were really unusal to have them, let along a booster seat!

JammyGeorge Mon 28-Jul-14 13:48:17

Yanbu.

Tesco near me is very busy, the p&c were full up so I parked in a normal space and put up the pushchair behind the car, turned to squeeze ds2 out of his seat turned back round and someone had reversed and hit the pushchair!!!

People think I'm crazy but I've never ever parked in a disabled space or a p&c (unless I've had a small child with me). I wouldn't dream of doing it because I'm not an inconsiderate arse.

chopinbabe Mon 28-Jul-14 13:49:05

I think fines can't be enforced but it is worth asking to speak to the manager of the shop, especially if you can identify the culprit, so that he can have a stern word with the offender.

fledermaus Mon 28-Jul-14 13:49:47

Fraidy - local authorities don't issue fines on private car parks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now