To want to tell the noisy kids next door to shut up?!

(52 Posts)
Rhine Tue 22-Jul-14 13:31:58

My next door neighbours grandchildren have been in her garden every single day for weeks, they even let themselves in when she's out which they've done today. I don't usually mind the sound of children playing, what I do mind however is endless screaming and having a football constantly kicked at my fence!

It's driving me insane and my dog is going loopy at the constant sounds of the football, he barks at it and now the kids have taken to aggravating him as well. I've now had to bring him in and shut the door which I shouldn't have to do on a boiling hot day!

I don't think this is normal playing noise, the little girl doesn't know the meaning of the world "no" and has the most horrific tantrums in which she screeches for up to half an hour at a time. The boy kicks the football at my fence constantly. I wouldn't mind but there is a huge park at the end of our road with a swings etc and a proper football pitch. Most of the other kids play there, why can't they? They don't even live here!

Before I get attacked and get accused of being anti children, my neighbours the other side have children and whilst they play out in the garden they don't make a noise like this!

I just want to sit in my garden in peace on a lovely day, without the constant bang, bang bang of a football and screaming. AIBU?

Paddingtonthebear Tue 22-Jul-14 13:37:38

Well you need to explain this to your neighbour

How old are they?

The ball against your fence and deliberately annoying your dog isn't on.

Look over the fence and tell them to stop it, give 'em your best death stare!

UriGeller Tue 22-Jul-14 13:42:55

YABU a bit. Your dog barking is pissing you off that's your problem.

Kids playing and being noisy is normal but how old are they? Its going to be down to you to tell them to pipe down if they are old enough. You do need to have a word with our neighbour if she's letting them play there when she's out, perhaps you could be concerned they could hurt themselves playing unsupervised?

wonderingsoul Tue 22-Jul-14 13:42:57

I'd ask them to stop nicely the first time than a bit more assertive the next.

UriGeller Tue 22-Jul-14 13:44:08

Your neighbour, not our!

Rhine Tue 22-Jul-14 13:45:02

I'm not sure exactly how old, I'd say the boy is about 7, the girl about 3/4. They live in a flat with their mum and have no garden to play in. I get that, but they don't seem to know how to play properly. I've already seen another neighbour who live over the back glaring at them from over the fence, so presumably it's not just me who's getting pissed off with it.

That's very young to be in the house unsupervised.

Speak to Granny and express your concern.

Rhine Tue 22-Jul-14 13:47:58

I don't think they have entry to the house, just the garden.

MiaowTheCat Tue 22-Jul-14 13:49:12

Dog barking... you can't really complain about

Football against fence... one of the most irritating things about living around here is the constant 7am to 9.30pm thunk thunk BANG COR-AND-HE'S-SCORED-A-GOAL-FOR-FOREST thunk thunk OI CAN WE 'AVE OUR BALL BACK thunk thunk of the kids out the back of us. Since it's progress on the "thunk thunk bang GET YER BLEEDING SCHOOL UNIFORM YOU LITTLE SHIT WE'RE RUNNING LATE thunk thunk" of the school morning routine - we just live with gritted teeth (praying they hurry up and grow up and move out)

bishboschone Tue 22-Jul-14 13:54:24

Is it your boundary fence ? If so you can tell them to stop it .i had my fences re done and it cost me £1000 .i would be pissed off if the neighbours who got a lovely new fence for free then kicked a football against it constantly .!!

UriGeller Tue 22-Jul-14 13:54:51

That really is too young to be unsupervised. I assume the eldest is in charge of the 3/4 year old?? Not on.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 22-Jul-14 13:55:41

I don't think YABU, we have 3 dc who were all playing in our smallish garden when younger. I taught them respect for others and certainly discouraged screaming (unless water fight) and banging balls at the fence I would speak to your neighbour and in the meantime ask the 7 year old not to kick the ball against the fence, its a start.

YouTheCat Tue 22-Jul-14 13:56:35

At 7 and 4 they should be supervised anyway. The 7 year old shouldn't be responsible for the little one for a start.

Rhine Tue 22-Jul-14 13:59:40

We were never allowed to scream in the garden either, it's just shows a lack of respect for other peoples.

I've just listened to Jeremy Vine discussing trampolines and noisy children being used in the summer holiday.

Screaming seemed to be the biggest bone of contention by those who contributed to the discussion.

Icelollycraving Tue 22-Jul-14 14:02:13

So does their mum come with them? I assume a 7 year old would give a 3 year old what they wanted so not requiring the tantrum if that makes sense.
What is your relationship like with your neighbour like ordinarily? Speak up.

sezamcgregor Tue 22-Jul-14 14:13:47

"Hello children, nice to see you're playing in Granny's garden again. Please don't kick your ball against the fence"

Simples.

sezamcgregor Tue 22-Jul-14 14:16:00

Can you give them ice-cream for "playing so quietly" or for not kicking the ball against the fence/similar?

Sure that a reward for good behaviour would be an incentive.

Rhine Tue 22-Jul-14 14:26:00

I've never seen their mum come with them when they come to play, I think my neighbour must be in work today. I saw her go out earlier on.

Are the children there now?

WorraLiberty Tue 22-Jul-14 14:31:01

I don't understand this thread really

Are you seriously saying that you haven't been out and asked them politely to keep the noise down?

And are you saying that you haven't asked the boy to stop kicking the football at the fence, because he's going to end up breaking it?

confused

Viviennemary Tue 22-Jul-14 14:31:07

YANBU to object to screaming and noise. Three year old and seven year old left alone in garden. Phone SS. This isn't acceptable.

WorraLiberty Tue 22-Jul-14 14:40:58

Phone social services because the kids have gone to play in granny's garden, instead of the park?

Seriously? grin

dietcokeandwine Tue 22-Jul-14 14:42:39

I don't think you're being unreasonable to object to the constant noise/football thumping/screaming. It's perfectly possible for children to play in the garden without the kind of nuisance noise you're describing.

But yes as other posters have said - they are far too young to be in the garden totally unsupervised with no-one in the house either! When I read your OP I assumed you were talking about age 10+, tbh. This kind of set up sounds bordering on negligent.

Do you know the grandmother well? I'd be having a chat with her and expressing concerns that it's not safe for the children to be there with neither her nor their mum present...what would happen if one of them had an accident/got hurt etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now