To have told dd2 the truth in a public loo?

(514 Posts)
HattyMonkey Mon 21-Jul-14 22:48:17

I am on my period, dd2 aged 3 nearly 4 is aware that I bleed sometimes and I have always answered honestly to any questions. In Debenhams today we went to the toilet and she saw I was "on" she said loudly (she has a very carrying voice) "Mummy you have blood does that mean you are not having a baby?" I replied quietly ( I thought) "that's right".

We left the cubicle and woman confronted me in quite an angry manner saying "next time you want to discuss the facts of life with your kid check who is about, my Son is traumatised"

I was so shocked I said nothing, did I do something wrong? I know everyone parents differently but I don't think I did anything wrong.

The woman was a dick! Don't worry.

If it makes you feel any better ds shouted in packed public loo 'why have you put that stick up your bum?'

sonlypuppyfat Mon 21-Jul-14 22:51:34

So he's never going to have a relationship with a woman then?

Bearbehind Mon 21-Jul-14 22:51:55

Did that really happen? hmm

On what planet do you show anyone else evidence of your period?

SiennaBlake Mon 21-Jul-14 22:52:13

I don't think she expressed it in the right way but I think she had a point. It's maybe not a conversation you should have that other children may overhear. Not because of any "omg the precious children can't know about period bleeding" reasons but it's one of those topics that not everyone wants their child to know about at a young age along with sex and other stuff. Plus overhearing that might sound like you were explaining miscarriage rather than a period and she may have jumped to that conclusion.

KillmeNow Mon 21-Jul-14 22:52:23

Ignore Ignore Ignore.

Lord knows why the son was traumatised by an anonymous person NOT having a baby .

Some people can have an argument in an empty house. You were just handy.

DirtyDancing Mon 21-Jul-14 22:52:23

She was being unreasonable. My guess is she felt uncomfortable, and her son probably didn't even notice. If he did then he's old enough to use the men's loos rather than go into the ladies with his mum...

SecretRed Mon 21-Jul-14 22:52:26

Ha ha ha at traumatised!

SanityClause Mon 21-Jul-14 22:52:44

How could her son be traumatised from that conversation?

Weirdo!

(Her, not you.)

I would think if her son was old enough to be 'traumatized' by this information then he should have been using the restroom reserved expressly for boys and men.

Mim78 Mon 21-Jul-14 22:53:01

She was being ridiculous. Why was her ds traumatised to hear you were not having a baby? Did he hope you were? wink

HattyMonkey Mon 21-Jul-14 22:53:12

Bearbehind when your dd is stood in front of you as you change your pad?

Hakluyt Mon 21-Jul-14 22:53:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

inabranstonpickle Mon 21-Jul-14 22:53:56

I didn't think of the miscarriage possibility but that's a good point Sienna made. I don't think you did anything wrong though!

RevoltingPeasant Mon 21-Jul-14 22:54:13

You should have told her not to be so ridiculous! What exactly is a young boy who doesn't know "the facts of life" going to understand from "you have some blood, you are not having a baby"?

Tell her to keep her son out of the ladies' if she doesn't want him overhearing women talking.

MsVestibule Mon 21-Jul-14 22:54:52

I genuinely don't understand how that exchange could traumatise anybody confused.

To somebody who didn't understand/know what a period was, it would make no sense whatsoever.

Bearbehind Mon 21-Jul-14 22:54:53

OMFG - seriously- even in a toilet cubicle you can turn round so they don't actually see everything.

ICanHearYou Mon 21-Jul-14 22:55:02

I would have said exactly the same. Probably looked at the woman with my mouth wide open in shock though.

Its a good opportunity for her to explain to him the ways of the woman, not to be scared of it.

BasketzatDawn Mon 21-Jul-14 22:55:35

grin at 'my son is traumatised'. If that's really all that was said, then she/the other mother is the one that's being weird. I hope her son doesn't turn into to a pillock when he grows up, one that can't discuss female bodies or indeed male ones. I think too she has, like so many others these days, OveruseofthewordTraumatised syndrome.grin

RevoltingPeasant Mon 21-Jul-14 22:56:18

And at the same age I was fully aware of mum's period, saw used sanitary towels etc. it was always very normal to me, which was great because it was never some big horrible revelation.

ashtrayheart Mon 21-Jul-14 22:56:22

I am so glad I have a mirena confused

HattyMonkey Mon 21-Jul-14 22:56:24

Thanks everyone, I have explained periods in the simplest terms to dd2 as it is the body's way of getting ready for a baby and if you aren't having one you let go of the "food" that would be used.

DragonMamma Mon 21-Jul-14 22:56:34

YANBU but I wouldn't be changing my sanpro in front of my knowing child boak

My mum never did it and I remained totally liberal and normal. I just don't think my DD needs to see me dragging a tampon out of me and then sticking a new one in.

ElizabethLemon Mon 21-Jul-14 22:56:53

Haha Indians, my ds (3) shouts "oh no, you've got the red wee!"

Op, I don't think ywbu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now