To think its not fair.

(15 Posts)
wtafisgoinon Mon 21-Jul-14 18:42:37

DDS is going to secondary in Sept.
She is on school action plus and moving up with no one she knows.
She is only a level 3 in literacy.

Her new secondary run a two week summer school, to get to know school and improve literacy and numeracy.

But did cannot go. Despite being on a very low self employed income , because we don't qualify for free school dinners due to WTC the school cannot fund her place. Don't blame school of course but I know several of the children attending and they are all achieving OK and moving up with others sad

Aibu to feel sad.

Very unfair.

WorraLiberty Mon 21-Jul-14 19:15:34

That's very very unfair

I would have thought the school would bend over backwards to get her in there, even if it means funding her place themselves.

LewisNaiceHamilton Mon 21-Jul-14 19:16:12

That is very unfair. Has she qualified for free school lunches in the past? If she has, she might still qualify for a place on this summer school (assuming it's pupil premium funded).

Worth checking, imo.

wtafisgoinon Mon 21-Jul-14 19:34:52

No because I get WTC we don't qualify.
Yep its pupil premium funded.

Just feel sad because dd would really benefit from it.

SocialMediaAddict Mon 21-Jul-14 22:05:38

That's really unfair. DD was offered a place at her secondary school summer school and it was free.,

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 21-Jul-14 22:17:38

YANBU, our deptuty head says there are many families in this area, who just miss FSM, who would benifit from pupil premium support etc.

We are a rural area with lots of MC commuters, that push house prices and rents up. Theirs almost no public transport even very poor households have to run one, often two cars to be able to work.

This means one group of DC's who can afford every extracurricular activity and oportunity going and another who have no spare cash at all, but because their parents work don't get FSM and the help that comes with them.

Personally OP I'd much rather infant free meals money was channel into extending Pupil oremium to your DD and others like her.

fluffymouse Mon 21-Jul-14 22:18:26

It sounds pretty harsh, as you would think a course like this would be offered to those who would benefit most.

Can you ask if she can attend if you make a contribution? Or can she be placed on a waiting list in case a fsm child pulls out? If you seem keen they are more likely to try to fit her in.

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 21-Jul-14 22:18:30

There's (sorry)

Amaxapax Mon 21-Jul-14 22:27:10

The school will get £250 per pupil premium child who attends. This funding is received retroactively, after the summer school has taken place. If your daughter went the school might not receive the £250 for her, but there isn't anything to say she can't attend anyway. It just means her place won't be funded.

If her school hasn't broken up yet, I would try to get in touch with the organiser and make the argument for the long-term benefits to having her attend. There are a number of outside agencies which now offer to go into schools and run the sessions, but even still, I would be quite sceptical about any claims that the cost of one additional pupil couldn't be absorbed.

wtafisgoinon Mon 21-Jul-14 23:19:34

The school have already broken up. TBh I didn't know they were definately doing it this year. I know they did last year but government funding is always changing. It was only when they put pics up on FB today I realised. Presume premium children had letters.

Dd isn't particularly fussed about going but she would benefit so much. I couldn't afford to contribute.

I know so many parents stuck on low working incomes.

wtafisgoinon Mon 21-Jul-14 23:20:55

I have emailed but no idea if any ones there to pick it up.

LewisNaiceHamilton Mon 21-Jul-14 23:35:40

Fingers crossed, wtaf smile

smellyfishead Mon 21-Jul-14 23:40:18

have you ever qualified for fsm? only I was reading about pupil premium the other day and the school gets it for any pupil who qualifies now and any that have qualified for it in the previous 5 years.

dancestomyowntune Mon 21-Jul-14 23:47:01

Dd is moving up in Sept too. She has a grammar place in a bilateral school and they are running a one week summer school that is free for all incoming year 7's.

Totally understand why your annoyed. I hadn't heard of summer school just for kids on free school meals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now