to discourage my dp from being quite so harsh about his families smoking?

(21 Posts)
fluffymouse Mon 21-Jul-14 22:11:07

Tbh I think he was right.

Smoking around children is child abuse.

TheLovelyBoots Mon 21-Jul-14 21:30:27

And to smoke around a child with asthma is ignorance and stupidity in the highest order.

TheLovelyBoots Mon 21-Jul-14 21:29:41

It's not just somebody, it's his sister. I cringe when I see people smoking around their children. And I judge.

RiverTam Mon 21-Jul-14 21:28:14

some people are utter dimwits about smoking, and to carry on smoking when you have a DC with asthma is absolutely appalling. Good for your DH, I say.

ikeaismylocal Mon 21-Jul-14 21:21:59

Looks like I was well and truely unreasonable, I'll let him get on with it! I do hope it helps, I feel sad for her ds sad

Viviennemary Mon 21-Jul-14 18:50:43

I agree with well done to your DH. I saw a heavily pregnant woman smoking outside a cafe and it really annoyed me. But I wouldn't have said anything. But if somebody did I wouldn't blame them.

CoffeeTea103 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:48:24

Well done on your DH.
She can feel bad about it all she likes, but holding her DS hand and smoking along knowing he has bad asthma is poor parenting on her part.
Its disgusting and selfish.

woowoo22 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:47:14

Friend and her DS have asthma. Her DP smokes. Her DS is constantly coughing. He refuses to quit.

HavantGuard Mon 21-Jul-14 18:46:39

'If it's outside walking around then I'd hold my tongue I think. With all the pollution from vehicles around here the whole thing is a bit moot.'

You could argue that if this was a child without breathing problems but with asthma all that means is they are already having to work harder to breath because of general vehicle pollution and walking next to them smoking makes it even worse.

BuildYourOwnSnowman Mon 21-Jul-14 18:46:16

As pp said, sometimes people are in denial even if a dr mentions it. Maybe this will shake her out if it

The fact she offers him his inhaler afterwards shows that she knows

HavantGuard Mon 21-Jul-14 18:43:33

Someone needs to say it and it might as well be her cousin. Smoking around a child with asthma is utter fuckwittery.

ikeaismylocal Mon 21-Jul-14 18:39:13

She just looked quite hurt. I just assume that she knows smoking around her dc is bad, she must know, everytime we see a Dr one of the first things they ask is if we smoke.

Nanny0gg Mon 21-Jul-14 18:36:29

Good for him.

Leave him to it.

SevenZarkSeven Mon 21-Jul-14 18:36:22

If it's outside walking around then I'd hold my tongue I think. With all the pollution from vehicles around here the whole thing is a bit moot.

Inside different.

NatashaBee Mon 21-Jul-14 18:35:44

I'm with your DH. My mum smoked around me, I had asthma. I will never understand how someone can inflict that on their child.

BuildYourOwnSnowman Mon 21-Jul-14 18:34:02

I don't think he was being harsh. He is obviously concerned about her child's health.

If he was just making jibes about smokers smelling/getting lung cancer etc etc then that would be harsh.

mommy2ash Mon 21-Jul-14 18:32:39

I would question it too. I did with a friend of mine whose children have asthma and eczema very badly bye I have seen them choking and rubbing their eyes while she puffed away. she claims her doctor told her it was fine there was no link to their health problems and her smoking. I told her if the doctor really said that he had no business being a doctor. some people had willing to lie to themselves to make it seem like what they are doing is ok

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 21-Jul-14 18:22:15

Well...he has a point. It's not really harsh, just a valid question.

woowoo22 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:21:02

What did the cousin say?

woowoo22 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:20:38

YABU I think. She is v selfish.

ikeaismylocal Mon 21-Jul-14 18:17:50

I don't like people smoking around my dc, even outside if someone lights up close to us I'll move away. Ds has asthma which is made worse if he's exposed to smoke. I don't mention anything I just get up and move.

Dp is very anti smoking, we were with his cousin this evening, we were all walking back from a restaurant and the cousin was smoking whilst walking alone holding her ds's hand, I was walking behind but made sure I walked far enough away so ds wasn't breathing in the smoke.

The cousin's ds also has asthma but it's much worse than ds's asthma, the boys are the same age, there seems to be a familiy history of asthma, she will smoke a cigarette and then ask her ds if he needs a puff of his inhaler.

Dp asked his cousin why she smokes around her child when he has asthma and said he deserves to have clean air to breath.

I wouldn't choose to expose my dc to smoke but aibu to think he shouldn't lecture other people about their smoking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now