To think this is just a cynical and manipulative way to get round the Minimum Wage and just exploits children

(33 Posts)
Namechangearoonie123 Mon 21-Jul-14 16:52:31

Evil double glazing company (defo evil, horrible reviews online and on here about how they don't leave for hours on end, how they won't see a woman on their own in the house as they want to sell to couples)

They have recruited a load of 16 year olds, trained them for 3 days without pay and are now dropping them off in areas to get people to make appointments for quotes.

They've been out there 9 hours, no pay.

All the adults who attended the recruitment afternoon were not 'hired' but all the 16 year olds who've never had a job were.

Can't believe this shit is even legal

Andrewofgg Tue 22-Jul-14 08:45:49

Chippednailvarnish Anglia did us a first class job at a good price. Be ready to argue figures. If you can pay cash, don't - we got a much better figure by borrowing through some outfit they are tied in with and paying it off the next month!

JudysPriest Tue 22-Jul-14 00:48:56

I had this with Cobra. Fuck you N Power.

They talk you in with talk of 'big money'. I just wanted to make 'any money' to feed us. Made nowt.

littleSpud Mon 21-Jul-14 23:48:06

When I was a teenager, my ex boyfriend used to do it, there was no basic wage, it was "commission" only shock

Disgraceful and didn't know it was still went allowed to go on

MiscellaneousAssortment Mon 21-Jul-14 23:15:19

Errr three, not two (bangs own head on desk!)

MiscellaneousAssortment Mon 21-Jul-14 23:14:02

It's a bad idea from two perspectives

1. Exploiting people is immoral and foul
2. Which gives their brand a bad name
3. Teenagers are not going to get sales, or even appointments

They are so stupid that even their cunning exploitation of vulnerable people plan won't actually make them money.

Wankers.

SlightlyNerdyPianist Mon 21-Jul-14 22:58:09

I worked for Zenith back in the mid 90's... Bloody awful employers without any morals then. I lasted about 2 weeks before leaving. Bastards. None of this latest behaviour surprises me.

Zenith are atrocious and their salesmen are liars. But presumably they need to say anything and use every trick in the book to get a sale.

Would never use them again

Bin50 Mon 21-Jul-14 21:40:50

Pay and Work Rights Helpline

Anyone can ring to report a breach of national minimum wage. It doesn't have to be the person working for them.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 21-Jul-14 18:28:12

And the national minimum wage for a 16 year old is only £3.72

Darkesteyes Mon 21-Jul-14 18:15:01

And I bet if anyone signing on refuses to do this they get sanctioned.

Chippednailvarnish Mon 21-Jul-14 18:05:00

I'm considering double glazing at the moment. I'm scrubbing Zenith off the list - any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Catswiththumbs Mon 21-Jul-14 17:49:16

I did this for a week- commission only. Direct marketing, would get to the office for 10am, out between 1-8 (or later) then back to the office. I wasn't getting home until gone 11pm!

Perdm. Scumbags.
The Guardian

They sell it to you as a management scheme where you get your own office and sounds amazing.

Chunderella Mon 21-Jul-14 17:28:27

Won't ever be using them, then. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Namechangearoonie123 Mon 21-Jul-14 17:24:35

Do you know if they should be paid for 'training'? prh

prh47bridge Mon 21-Jul-14 17:21:39

Paying commission only is legal provided the staff are paid at least the national minimum wage. If the commission earned comes to less than the minimum wage the employer must make up the difference.

Kerberos Mon 21-Jul-14 17:19:08

Bloody Zenith. I didn't think they could stoop any lower then I read this.

We bought some windows from them a few years ago. Fab windows, lovely install team and was happy with everything. That was until the cold calls started. It was relentless and only stopped when I threatened legal action due to harassment.

Would never ever buy from them again.

Tanith Mon 21-Jul-14 17:15:22

Zenith? Oh, now there's a surprise!!

weatherall Mon 21-Jul-14 17:13:35

I did that at 21. Worked long days for a week before I discovered I wasn't being paid at all!!

Great pr, npower.

Jubelteen Mon 21-Jul-14 17:13:03

They made a young man on the 'Benefits Street' programme do something like this. He was so excited to have some work, got all dressed up in his suit, slogged for a week and earned nothing. Unsurprisingly he didn't see the point of applying for further work.
It's immoral. What happened to a fair days work for a fair days pay?
I hate seeing people being exploited so callously.

YANBU angry

FidelineAndBombazine Mon 21-Jul-14 17:10:47

Zenith, I mean. Not the 16 year olds blush

FidelineAndBombazine Mon 21-Jul-14 17:10:10

They deserve a hard time. Definitely.

Namechangearoonie123 Mon 21-Jul-14 17:09:16

A child I know is doing this now.

FidelineAndBombazine Mon 21-Jul-14 17:08:33

How do you know about this?

Namechangearoonie123 Mon 21-Jul-14 17:07:51

It can't be illegal to work 'commission only' can it?

I'm so incensed as I think it's deliberate. They are children and I think they were recruited because of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now