AIBU or was my colleague re lunch choice?

(25 Posts)
mollypup Mon 21-Jul-14 13:26:23

Sat down to eat my lunch at work today, I had chosen one of the Innocent veg pots (very nice I might add), colleague pipes up "urgh, what is that, it looks disgusting!". Five minutes later she goes "are you still getting through that?".

WTF?

What is with people who just HAVE to comment on other people's food choices.

Thought I'd add that her usual lunch consists of a Rustlers burger and a twin pack of danish pastries...

RumAppleGinger Mon 21-Jul-14 13:36:06

YANBU, I have soup for my lunch. YES EVEN IN THE SUMMER!!! It's not that unusal so why so many people in my office feel the need to make comment June through to August I have no idea.

greeneggsandjam Mon 21-Jul-14 13:39:34

I had a similar comment once, I said 'its just as well you don't have to eat it then' and he went red and mumbled 'oh yeah, sorry'. I think it was tuna with sweetcorn or something.

HayDayQueen Mon 21-Jul-14 13:40:33

YANBU, the correct response to something like this would be 'Looks disgusting? What are you, 5?!'

picnicbasketcase Mon 21-Jul-14 13:41:24

'Stop looking then!'

bubblybox Mon 21-Jul-14 13:42:25

Ergh, I have a colleague like this. She just says the most inconsiderate things and doesn't seem to think what she says might be offensive!

Some day I might work up the courage to tell her that if she has nothing nice to say then don't bother saying it at all.

thenightsky Mon 21-Jul-14 13:42:32

If she thinks that's 'disgusting', I shall send round my colleague who eats warmed up curry for breakfast grin

DiaDuit Mon 21-Jul-14 13:42:37

I agree. Let me eat my battered goujons, chips and mayo in peace every day

She was rude, daft mare!

If someone has something that looks nice I might comment that it looks or smells nice. If it looked rank I wouldn't comment at all.

The Innocent pots are delicious btw. wink

Goldenyellow Mon 21-Jul-14 13:44:21

Those innocent pots are lovely - good choice

Hope you got it for free with the coupon that has been flying around smile

Bumply Mon 21-Jul-14 13:44:22

reminds me of someone who used to complain that he didn't like the smell of my egg mayo sandwiches - whilst sat on the edge my desk. Well don't sit so bloody close then.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Mon 21-Jul-14 13:44:49

Urgh!

I drink hot chocolate or tea when I'm out. My circulation is shite and I get chilly.

SiL (who I'm now NC with) always had to male a sarky comment about it.

hmm

People should eat what they want.

Fancy a steak and a vodka for breakfast? Have it. Life's too short!!

cantbelievemyeyes Mon 21-Jul-14 13:45:06

I comment on people's lunches when they look/ smell delicious and I'm interested in whats in it. I feel a bit sick at the sight of blue cheese or baked beans, but wouldn't comment on anyone eating them.

juneybean Mon 21-Jul-14 13:46:35

My dad always does it, just because he doesn't eat green things he always turns his nose up at my concoctions.

Vintagejazz Mon 21-Jul-14 13:47:02

The only time it's appropriate to comment on someone else's food is if you're saying something like 'oh that looks nice. What's in it'?

Adults going 'Eew that looks disgusting' or worse 'Yuk, do you know what that reminds me of?' need to grow up and stop being so rude and annoying.

mollypup Mon 21-Jul-14 14:09:19

I told her if she didn't have anything nice to say she shouldn't say anything (or should shut the f up) and she looked a bit sheepish. She's the bullying, angry sort so I'm surprised I was left relatively unscathed! Seriously though, it is quite insulting and made me feel a bit embarrassed for eating my own lunch!

brokenhearted55a Mon 21-Jul-14 14:12:43

One of my colleagues years ago made retching noises and actions when I deigned to order a pizza with goats cheese on it.

I told her to fuck off. Literally.

Well done for calling her on it. Nobody beyond the age of 5 should be making comments like that about someone else's food!

hollycomputer Mon 21-Jul-14 14:33:26

A former colleague told me my lovely home-made soup looked like dog sick.

I absolutely loathe with a passion people commenting on or asking questions about what I'm eating. Mind your own fucking business!

MrsSippy Mon 21-Jul-14 14:38:01

Or even commenting on their own food... I was out with some friends the other night and one kept on about her dessert being 'sickly' but kept on ploughing through. I kept imagining she was going to projectile vomit over us all (it nearly put me off me own pud!!) , but asked her nicely if she meant it was rich.

squatcher Mon 21-Jul-14 14:47:01

I've got a couple of friends who often make this sort of comment - a curry I'd ordered looked like "cat sick", another time it was risotto that looked like sick - thanks for that! But then they are the same friends that always make an issue of me not eating meat and point out what I can and can't have on the menu - grrrr! I don't eat out with them any more.

dolicapax Mon 21-Jul-14 14:59:45

I expect it was the smell. Hot food in the office should be banned, it's really antisocial. As should any cold food that stinks like egg or fish. It isn't just when you are eating, it's for hours afterwards, as the smell lingers. My absolute bug bear is EAT soups. They stink and people really linger over them.

I bet she wouldn't have commented if she had seen you eating it on a bench outside.

mollypup Mon 21-Jul-14 15:06:17

Actually, dolicapax it was a leek and potato pearl barley pot that smelled a hell of a lot less than her rustlers rib sandwich thing...

starfishmummy Mon 21-Jul-14 15:08:37

I have had a colleague that mentioned my dinner looked like sick. She felt this was acceptable.

She one offered me rice cakes which she sat and chopped non stop. I politely declined saying that I didn't care for them. Apparently this was rude.

Go figure!!

KittyandTeal Mon 21-Jul-14 15:57:44

I had a few colleagues like this. I have an ed and so was eating well at the time but not a huge amount.

She felt it was ok to go on and on about the little amount I are and how I was skinny etc.

She, however, needs a special chair in the staff room without arms because she's so fat, has developed diabetes and keeps going on about how she doesn't understand how she's not loosing weight after eating 'just salad' and half a jar of Mayo!

No advice coz I just stopped eating in the staff room and made my classroom an alternative eating place for me and work friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now