expensive kids menu

(73 Posts)
MrMacadoo Mon 21-Jul-14 12:46:21

just after some opinions please. I'm getting my son christened and having a meal at a hotel afterwards. I have just been sent the kids menu and it's £15 a head!

my best friend and godmother to my ds has a 2 and a half year old. Will this child require a meal of their own? am loathe to spend this much on a meal for a child if its not going to get eaten. Parents with kids of this age, would you expect a kids meal or would you take something along for them? I don't want to upset or insult my friend so just wondered what others would do. thanks!

MrMacadoo Tue 22-Jul-14 14:23:25

I'm not being a cheapskate I was just canvassing opinions. At no point did I say I would not get a meal, just that I thought £15 was excessive for a meal for a toddler they may not eat anyway. All I have said to my friend is that we will need everyones menu choices before the event so I will get her a copy of both adult and kids menu and she can let me know. She is my best friend and I wouldn't cause bad feeling for the sake of a tenner.

MidniteScribbler Tue 22-Jul-14 13:07:53

I went to an event where they did not cater for 2yo DS. Exceptionally rude to invite someone and not cater for them. They did the 'oh we just thought he'd pick at yours'. For one thing, I don't want a 2yo sticking their fingers in my food, and for another thing, he ate all of my meal. I had to stop at McDonalds on the way home.

Ask her which choice she would like, since everyone needs to submit a choice, but don't hint that it is because you are being a cheapskate.

BomChickaMeowMeow Tue 22-Jul-14 12:50:24

I'd still speak to your friend. If I were your friend I'd feel worse that someone had wasted money ordering food that was hardly then touched and wouldn't mind being asked at all.

EssexMummy123 Mon 21-Jul-14 22:57:38

Is £10-15 really going to make that much difference? why not order it anyway.

MrMacadoo Mon 21-Jul-14 22:53:38

I'll need to speak to my friend as the venue has requested everyone's meal choice beforehand

GermyElephant Mon 21-Jul-14 22:49:35

DS has had his own meal since he was about 14mo. At 11mo DD doesn't yet.

I would never bring food to a restaurant for my children. It's a restaurant.

naty1 Mon 21-Jul-14 22:43:42

I have bought a couple of kids meals for dd, now 2 but even though she has a goid appetite and not really fussy she doesnt eat all of it, so unless it is a sure thing she is hungry enough and likes it/ i want something she cant/wont have then we share off all our plates. Its great she gets a variety and has better stuff/other suff than on kids menus like fish/ salmon sausages beans egg pizza, peas, cheese, baggette.
We just ask for a plate (really most meals are too much for me anyway, DD is my diet tool smile
The cost to the restaurant of a 2.5yr old, negligible they have all the equipment already. If the kid was under 6 months they could still need all the same facilities but not get a meal
2 yr olds eating meals designed for much older kids portionwise does not sound like a good idea.
Sharing with them also avoids issue of what if they dont like what parent has chosen

Mrsgrumble Mon 21-Jul-14 22:43:37

For the sake of a tenner. Wouldn't bring it up with your friend to be honest. She will know you are hinting at costs. Just pay it.

AuditAngel Mon 21-Jul-14 22:38:37

At that age DS and his cousin (6 months older) would have had the adult meal split between them, and eaten the lot. DD1 would gave eaten a full child's meal.

DD2, it depends on her mood, she will either wag nothing or the lot. She is always happy with soup, so often we will just give her our starter.

lornemalvo Mon 21-Jul-14 22:31:43

At 2 and a half there is no telling what they might like. They might only eat pasta dishes or potatos and mince. Asking is definitely the way to go as you may need to order a plate of chips or some bread. You are not going to want to spend £15 on that.

MrMacadoo Mon 21-Jul-14 22:22:33

as I said before I will speak to my friend and do whatever she wants. I will not tell her about cost, just about the courses and choices. I will then do exactly what she wants, be that 1 course, 3 courses or full on adult meal grin

Thanks all, been good to get the full spectrum of opinions

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 21-Jul-14 22:17:09

Exactly. There's no way if I had a hot meal my DS would be happy with a sandwich!

Nicknacky Mon 21-Jul-14 22:11:45

But what would you bring a 2.5 year old? Different if it was a 7 month old who was on a bowl of puréed veg.

I would just pay the money, in the scheme of things it's not much.

Pimmsoclocknow Mon 21-Jul-14 21:29:41

We went to a wedding when dd was 18 months. I assumed she would get a meal and she didn't. So I ended up very hungry as she ate most of mine. It totally ruined the whole event for us. 15 is not expensive for a decent venue

BikeRunSki Mon 21-Jul-14 21:14:19

You can't invite someone and not cater for them. Not to would be incredibly rude! Their age and appetite is irrelevant, as is the cost. If the cost is too high, reconsider your guest list or your venue.

I would be rather offended if my dc were not considered important enough to merit a meal. They'd both eat one (2, 5).

MrMacadoo Mon 21-Jul-14 21:04:14

but then my friend would probably end up sharing anyway!

MrMacadoo Mon 21-Jul-14 21:03:19

i was never going to ask my friend to share her meal, I just wondered if people would normally take something they know their toddler will eat along with them

LewisNaiceHamilton Mon 21-Jul-14 20:59:57

running milk alone, be it breast or formula, for three years is pretty unusual. Isn't it? confused

Darquesse Mon 21-Jul-14 20:37:00

I think in the grand scheme of paying for a party, an extra tenna won't break the bank.

If you suggest splitting a meal your friend might feel obliged to agree, I know I would, and then I would be left hungry when my toddler scoffed the lions share of my tasty meal.

Xmasbaby11 Mon 21-Jul-14 20:25:10

Yes they need feeding. It isn't expensive if the food is good quality .. let's hope it's not sausage chips and beans!

Figster Mon 21-Jul-14 20:19:13

Of course they need fed

Try not feeding my 2.5yr old ds when others are eating ........World war 3

Sirzy Mon 21-Jul-14 20:16:40

I don't think £15 for a childs 3 course meal in somewhere decent is expensive at all.

Mim78 Mon 21-Jul-14 20:12:42

It just seems unfair on the mum to expect her to share her meal when no others guests have to.

It's one thing to make that decision for yourself in a restaurant but another thing to expect your guests to share.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 21-Jul-14 16:24:35

My 2 year old would eat a proper meal and wouldn't be happy with just eating off my plate. I'd have no food!

MrMacadoo Mon 21-Jul-14 16:17:23

I would split the meal but one of the 2 year olds is mine and she is the worlds worst eater. I'm seeing my friend tomorrow so will show her the menu and let her decide.

The starters are definitely geared towards older kids and I don't think they will appeal to the 7yo either!

Am leaning towards 2 courses with kids main brought out at same time as adult starter. I imagine this is what my friend will go for too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now