expensive kids menu

(73 Posts)
MrMacadoo Mon 21-Jul-14 12:46:21

just after some opinions please. I'm getting my son christened and having a meal at a hotel afterwards. I have just been sent the kids menu and it's £15 a head!

my best friend and godmother to my ds has a 2 and a half year old. Will this child require a meal of their own? am loathe to spend this much on a meal for a child if its not going to get eaten. Parents with kids of this age, would you expect a kids meal or would you take something along for them? I don't want to upset or insult my friend so just wondered what others would do. thanks!

Karen81 Mon 21-Jul-14 13:17:18

I rarely by a meal for my 2.5 year old as she eats like a sparrow, and so much food is wasted. Speak to your friend, if it was me, I would be happy to share my meal with my DD rather than you spend �15 on something she probably won't eat anyhow.

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Mon 21-Jul-14 13:21:26

I would go with the �10 2 course option for all DC, keep it simple, no asking people.

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 21-Jul-14 13:23:06

My DD would want her own meal at 2.5yo. However, it seems you have the 2 course option. Though she'll be upset if she saw others have a course and she doesn't sad. Mostly it's us not having dessert and her having it. She's fine with that! I have to agree £15 is very steep for a 2.5yo given how little they eat. I can see if you have two, you can split the meal between two preschoolers, but what hotel will let you do that? I'm sure tupperware isn't allowed either.

And besides my 3yo will only eat chips, peas, chicken nuggets, fish fingers, but all puddings and fruits. So it's hard to imagine paying £15 for that stuff.

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 21-Jul-14 13:25:36

Oh and my 3yo eats chips very well. She can polish off all given on her plate and then try to steal ours grin. She can also easily eat two scoops of icecream or a large piece of cake.

She's just very selective.

Runningforfun Mon 21-Jul-14 13:25:57

Don't think I ordered a kids meal for my two till they were at least 3.5. dd bf solely until she was over 3 years old. I would take finger food in tupperware. dfs dd is 6 and eats so little that there is no point in paying good money for food she would not eat.

If you have two 2yos going can you ask them if they'll split a child's portion over two plates? We have two preschoolers and often do this -most places are happy to do it and £7.50 is a much less depressing amount of money if it doesn't get eaten, and will less on the plate it's less likely to over-face the little ones.

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 21-Jul-14 13:29:35

Runningforfun I think it depends on the child. Mine (3yo) can eat an entire child's meal at wagamamas, if it's either the stir fried rice or the cod and chips. Same with pizza express child's meal, which has dough balls for starters, pasta for main and pudding, she can eat them all. On the other hand, if it's Nandos, she'll only eat the chips and frozen yoghurt. Pubs usually have fish fingers and chips.

Though I'm not sure she'll like fancy hotel food!

MrMacadoo Mon 21-Jul-14 13:36:29

I don't think she will be bothered about not having a course, I might ask if they can bring hers out with the starter though to avoid that issue! As my DD barely eats a thing, I don't know what it's like to cater for other kids!

SaveTheMockingBird Mon 21-Jul-14 13:38:48

I would go for the 2 course option (main meal and pudding).
My DCs at 2.5yrs old ate very little in one sitting. If I was your friend I would be happy to share my meal with my 2.5yr old especially if I was getting 3 courses, but then again I would never actually ask my friend to share her food with her toddler....it's a difficult one!

wink1970 Mon 21-Jul-14 13:55:10

Take away your emotions, and think of this neutrally..... you want to use their facilities, presumably will expect a highchair and baby-changing, and even the tidiest child makes a huge mess. You may even turn up with some of your own food and demand they re-heat it right in the middle of service, not to mention the fact that a proportion of other diners will resent children in their midst & that increases their complaint levels.....

I know you are paying for adults as well, but a child is a disproportionate 'problem' to a venue, and that's why they are charging so much.

disclaimer: I don't run a restaurant, and I think children should be encouraged to eat out from an early age, I am merely pointing out the reasoning behind the pricing.

creampie Mon 21-Jul-14 14:18:43

Get a main and dessert for £10, and ask them to bring the main with everyone else's starters. That way they're not sat waiting while everyone eats a starter. It always takes mine ages to eat anyway so they'll just about be done in time for pudding.

Mintyy Mon 21-Jul-14 14:55:27

Hang on a minute! Your dd had nothing but breastmilk until she was over three years old Running? have I got that right?

Notso Mon 21-Jul-14 15:12:49

It depends what you get for £15. We have paid £15 for my 3 year old to eat three good sized courses that were half portions from the adults menu. I would be pissed of paying £15 for the usual poor quality food e.g something with chips and beans or peas and a scoop of ice cream with a wafer.

BrianButterfield Mon 21-Jul-14 15:41:37

I think it's reasonable to say to your friend "I'm happy to order your DC a meal - however it's £10/£15, so do you think they'll eat it? Or would you rather bring along something they will eat?" That was you'll know if it's going to be a waste of money - the DC might eat lots all the time or be picky (as many 2.5 year olds are). Then ask the venue if they can charge just a cover fee for cleaning expenses etc. one child isn't a massive issue if you're already having a party there and presumably spending a fair amount.

Artandco Mon 21-Jul-14 15:45:18

£15 for 3 course is excellent. It will just be a small amount each course catered to them. Mine would love it. They usually aren't that big for children

Last meal out ds (age 3), had calamari starter (3 small pieces and dip), Risotto main ( perfect small amount), and jelly and ice cream ( small portion also). Was very happy

FatalCabbage Mon 21-Jul-14 15:56:40

We went to a recent event where the adults had a three-course dinner and the children didn't. It was horribly awkward - the children's food was brought between our starter and main hmm by which time they'd had bites from several plates. Then they had a sort of party bag of biscuits and sweets for pudding and we had, um, actualpudding.

Please please go for the three-course option, even if it doesn't get eaten, because it will give them something to do.

slithytove Mon 21-Jul-14 16:01:25

Minty you beat me to it!

Is that true running, nothing but bm for 3 years?

AuntieStella Mon 21-Jul-14 16:01:54

I think TwelveLeggedWalk is right.

The child menu will be geared to the likely appetite of children about 8-10 years. I'd approach the venue along the lines of 'One child meal for a 7 yo, and one child meal to be split for two toddlers please' and I doubt very much they'll say no.

RiverTam Mon 21-Jul-14 16:03:08

could a couple of the smaller ones share a meal? The trouble with kids meals is that they are the same price and size for a 10 year old as a 2 year old. I don't think my 4-year-old has finished a child's meal yet, she's lucky if she gets through half.

AuntieStella Mon 21-Jul-14 16:03:54

I think TwelveLeggedWalk is right.

The child menu will be geared to the likely appetite of children about 8-10 years. I'd approach the venue along the lines of 'One child meal for a 7 yo, and one child meal to be split for two toddlers please' and I doubt very much they'll say no.

Vintagejazz Mon 21-Jul-14 16:06:18

It depends on the child really. Some 2.5 yr olds eat practically nothing and seem to live on bread rolls and milk, so it would be a complete waste forking out £15 for a meal they will refuse to eat. If, on the other hand, it is a toddler who will eat most things I would probably order a two course meal for them. Three courses seems a lot of a toddler.

Vintagejazz Mon 21-Jul-14 16:06:58

a lot 'for' a toddler. I wasn't suggesting you turn him into a two course dinner. grin

SergeantJarhead Mon 21-Jul-14 16:11:04

My son is now 14 months old and I have bought him a full childs meal every time we have gone out, it costs on average £5/6.00, he never touched a bite. Recently I have started to just share with him without any problems, (he helps himself with a fork) and has never been left starved.
Rambling a bit but I resent the implication that 'sharing' with my child leaves him starving and malnourished - hardly.

That aside, some good ideas on here for the OP.

MrMacadoo Mon 21-Jul-14 16:17:23

I would split the meal but one of the 2 year olds is mine and she is the worlds worst eater. I'm seeing my friend tomorrow so will show her the menu and let her decide.

The starters are definitely geared towards older kids and I don't think they will appeal to the 7yo either!

Am leaning towards 2 courses with kids main brought out at same time as adult starter. I imagine this is what my friend will go for too

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 21-Jul-14 16:24:35

My 2 year old would eat a proper meal and wouldn't be happy with just eating off my plate. I'd have no food!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now