To think this as impressive as it is cheeky and naughty?

(137 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Sun 20-Jul-14 19:07:06

I noticed dd1 was too tall for her bike earlier, so had a look about for second hand ones for her.

By chance I found someone selling as new bikes in dd1 and dd2's size. Dd2 was overjoyed. She wanted to know when she could get her new bike. She's always wanted a "new" bike but always gets dd1's cast offs. I told her tomorrow because I haven't been paid yet. She asked when I get paid. I told her when I could be bothered to go and get my wages.

She went out to play.

5 minutes later she was back clutching £30.

She'd taken it upon herself to go to my workplace, tell my boss I had sent her and asked him for my wages. They weren't ready yet, she said, so she asked if she could have just £30 of them because she thinks bikes must be about £30.

I'm unsure as to whether to be shock or angry or both.

Dd2 is 7.

Namechangearoonie123 Sun 20-Jul-14 19:09:50

shock

Your kid will go faaaaar smile

But you must tell your boss you didn't send her or he'll think your crackers

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sun 20-Jul-14 19:11:22

How far away from your work do you live?

That is all kinds of naughty but I can see how it is something to be (secretly) impressed about.

Chippednailvarnish Sun 20-Jul-14 19:11:29

I predict a career in financial services.

headlesslambrini Sun 20-Jul-14 19:11:32

I'm impressed! Wrong i know but impressed anyway

D0oinMeCleanin Sun 20-Jul-14 19:13:43

Only down the road Pourquoi. It's literally a 2 minute walk down the street.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sun 20-Jul-14 19:13:59

Tell her off for doing it, but remember it and remind her about it when shes older and preferably has kids herself.

TeamEdward Sun 20-Jul-14 19:14:34

Genius!

Scarletohello Sun 20-Jul-14 19:15:14

Ha ha ha smile

amyhamster Sun 20-Jul-14 19:16:13

is your employer her dad grin

SaucyJack Sun 20-Jul-14 19:16:18

I would spectacularly fail to see the funny side if it was my seven year old.

DiseasesOfTheSheep Sun 20-Jul-14 19:17:52

HA! Kid's a genius!

Goofymum Sun 20-Jul-14 19:17:58

Yes, I can see that you wouldn't know whether to be cross or be proud. She shouldn't really be going off somewhere without telling you even though it's only 2 minutes away. But nothing happened so just be proud of your resourceful and confident daughter smile

toomuchtooold Sun 20-Jul-14 19:18:50

Definitely more impressive than naughty, I would say. She'll go far!
(Seriously though, I bet you have a job on your hands to make sure she says proud of her initiative, it'll help her so much in adult life as long as the demands of school don't teach her to be too much of a "good girl").

CoffeeTea103 Sun 20-Jul-14 19:19:23

Seriously it's bloody cheeky, nothing to be proud of there.

VitoCorleone Sun 20-Jul-14 19:19:43

Id be fuming if it was one of mine

PinkSquash Sun 20-Jul-14 19:23:00

Have you rung your boss to apologise and explain?
I would secretly find it hilarious but it's not good.

Felyne Sun 20-Jul-14 19:23:28

I can't believe your employer just handed it over without checking with you. I'd be tempted to deny all knowledge of it and demand to be paid the full amount of your wages. Presumably the onus is on them to ensure they pay YOU?

D0oinMeCleanin Sun 20-Jul-14 19:23:44

I was too taken a back to really say anything to her blush

I've sent dd1 for my wages before, when I've been hungover, but I've always called in advance to a) make sure they are ready and b) let my boss know that it is dd1 coming in for them and not me. I've never sent dd2 in before.

I have confirmed with work that they only gave her £30. She hasn't lost or spent any on her way home. The lady selling the bikes is not in until tomorrow dinner time. Dd2 is unimpressed.

iwantgin Sun 20-Jul-14 19:24:16

I can see how it could be seen to be just funny and a little bit enterprising.

BUT it really isn't to be encouraged. Your money is your money - to be earnt/collected/spent as and when you are ready.

I guess you did kind of lead her up to it though - by saying she could have it once your wages are ready.

If any of my Dc tried that they wouldn't be getting a bike at all. I would make them wait until xmas or their birthday for it.

phantomnamechanger Sun 20-Jul-14 19:24:42

I would be very cross about this actually - it's the being dishonest that gets me.
The child could feel entitled to go ask for some of you wages any time they want some cash now! The boss should NOT have given the money to her IMO!
(please don't come back and tell us she regularly goes for your wages and was just doing what she sometimes does for you, only this time without your knowledge)

phantomnamechanger Sun 20-Jul-14 19:26:32

Ah, cross posts. You HAVE sent her to get them before, so I can see why DD thought she was actually helping you out, and the boss believed her.
Still would not be happy that she decided to do this on her own say so.

D0oinMeCleanin Sun 20-Jul-14 19:28:00

No, I've never sent dd2 before. She's too young. I've sent dd1 once or twice.

phantomnamechanger Sun 20-Jul-14 19:28:36

Oh hang on I've got your DDs mixed up.

DD1 needs a new bike, DD1 sometimes gets your wages for you.
DD2 fancied and new bike too so went to ask for your wages - is that right?

RandallFloyd Sun 20-Jul-14 19:29:30

I'd be visibly cross and tell her off.
Then I'd wait til she'd gone and laugh my arse off.

It's definitely one to bring out a few years down the line!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now