To be shocked at what I saw at a Toby Carvery?

(393 Posts)
PipkinsPal Sun 20-Jul-14 11:43:16

I went to a Toby Carvery the other day. I had two types of meat, a Yorkshire pudding, veg and gravy. I had a good sized portion, ate it all and didn't feel the need to go up again. I'm quite smug that I know how much to put on my plate without wasting it.

However, I could see the gravy/sauce table from where I was sitting and saw a few very overweight young people, late teens/early 20's with 3 - yes 3 Yorkshire puddings on their plates, a mound of veg and ladling on bucketfuls of gravy.

Surely this is not normal and they were just greedy.

GretchenWiener Sun 20-Jul-14 11:44:31

surely a Toby Carvery is just A Shit Place, full stop.

Does this really matter?

Namechangearoonie123 Sun 20-Jul-14 11:44:55

Yeah because that mound of veg plus gravy is a problem hmm

Dinnae be daft. Focus on your own 'smugness' at how you got your plate perfect.

Well done you, a round of applause for the smug amongst us.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 20-Jul-14 11:44:57

You're right, you are quite smug.

WorraLiberty Sun 20-Jul-14 11:45:16

You're right, you are quite smug.

Having said that, yes some people do get greedy when it comes to self service food.

Well, yeah, one of the reasons people get fat is because they et too much. It's sad, but I don't really see why you're shocked - surely you knew this before?

PetulaGordino Sun 20-Jul-14 11:45:48

This is a wind-up

MerdeAlor Sun 20-Jul-14 11:45:48

Most pointless AIBU ever.

Heathcliff27 Sun 20-Jul-14 11:46:12

Good for you, you do sound smug. Of course whats on somebody else's plate is neither here nor there.

BitOutOfPractice Sun 20-Jul-14 11:46:19

I always put just slightly too much on my plate, eat it anyway, and have to be rolled home like a barrell <proud>

In fact, my biggest question on reading this OP is how they anaged to wangle three yorkies !

MagnificentMaleficent Sun 20-Jul-14 11:46:21

You only get one Yorkshire pudding at my Toby regardless of how many your Yorkshire mad dd you want.

Maybe they were making the most of their last meal before gastric band surgery?

StickyEmInTheRibs Sun 20-Jul-14 11:46:54

I live near a toby and its a normal sight to see too much food on a plate.

pictish Sun 20-Jul-14 11:47:13

You're quite right OP...be sure to give your better-than-you medal an extra polish today.
Or something.

GirlWithTheLionHeart Sun 20-Jul-14 11:47:13

Oh who cares? Why do you care what strangers are eating, seriously?

I always do two yorkies per person but have three myself.

I'm not greedy but my yorkies are superb wink.

Stop being smug by your own admission.

rose202 Sun 20-Jul-14 11:47:15

Hahaha you will have a load of posters piling into here momentarily telling you that its their only meal for a week & not to judge them!

However it can be down to greed & also a desire to 'get your money's worth'.

Heathcliff27 Sun 20-Jul-14 11:47:58

I think you get two yorkies if you pay for a large carvery but i've never seen three blush such gluttony wink

TheBuskersDog Sun 20-Jul-14 11:49:19

Were they proper i.e large, plate-sized yorkshire puddings? If not, eating three yorkshires is nothing.

DurhamDurham Sun 20-Jul-14 11:49:54

I don't think you can complain about that if you go to any carvery or buffet type place. Some people just like to think they are getting their money's worth.

MrsMikeDelfino Sun 20-Jul-14 11:49:57

What I want to know is how they managed to get three Yorkshire puds at Toby Carvery?! You only get served one, and I've been to a few different ones!
Yours must be incredibly generous. hmm

ilovesooty Sun 20-Jul-14 11:50:10

Self service encourages large portions?

People who over eat are often overweight?

No shit Sherlock.

Perhaps the Daily Mail would be interested in your astounding discovery. You could do a sad face next to the gravy table with a perfectly portioned plate.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 20-Jul-14 11:50:16

YABU and more than a little naive.

But then this has to be a wind up, yes?

usualsuspectt Sun 20-Jul-14 11:50:22

I shove as much food as I can on my plate at a carvery. Most of it is veg anyway. The cauliflower cheese counts as veg surely.

I fully admit to being a greedy fucker though.

MrsMikeDelfino Sun 20-Jul-14 11:50:41

Ah, forgot the 'king sized carvery' - think you might get two on them. Never three though! smile

TurboWithAKick Sun 20-Jul-14 11:51:01

Are you usually so easily shocked? How do you manage life?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now