to tell DH he needs to change the way he speaks as it infuriates me?

(37 Posts)
PupInBoots Fri 18-Jul-14 23:26:07

DH has a strange habit that I think he developed when speaking to the DC to make things easier for them to understand. However, he is speaking like it more and more frequently and it's making me want to scream.

Instead of saying 'i love you' it's 'i do love you'

Instead of 'would you like a cup of tea?' it's 'was you wanting a cup of tea?'

Instead of 'i liked the film' it's 'i did like the film'

Instead of 'chocolate gives me a headache' it's 'chocolate does give me a headache'

AIBU to pull him up on this and ask him to change it? I don't want the DC to pick it up and I can't bear listening to/reading it in messages any longer!

EatShitDerek Fri 18-Jul-14 23:27:00

I don't see the issue at all

MildDrPepperAddiction Fri 18-Jul-14 23:28:38

Tell him to cop on. He's not three. He can speak like an adult.

squoosh Fri 18-Jul-14 23:29:48

'Darling, you does annoy me so you does'

Tricky. DP has has loads of annoyances like that. Talks business speak at home a lot. Arghhh. But is very sensitive if I pick him up on it. So am torn between letting it fester or causing a fight.
I can't imagine how you might manage to explain this one though without it sounding rather harsh though grin

PupInBoots Fri 18-Jul-14 23:33:19

Really Derek? If he wanted to ask 'are you walking to the shop?' he'd say 'was you walking?' - it doesn't make sense! It hasn't happened yet, so don't say was angry

Jelliebabe2 Fri 18-Jul-14 23:33:39

It's all ways of saying the same thing! Why but just being it up and then see!

PupInBoots Fri 18-Jul-14 23:34:21

Sqoosh he actually says 'i do love you I do'....!

joanofarchitrave Fri 18-Jul-14 23:34:55

How old are your kids? chances are it will ease off as they get older?

Bearandcub Fri 18-Jul-14 23:36:26

Please say they are in their teens

MrsWinnibago Fri 18-Jul-14 23:36:46

Is it in a baby voice?

AgentZigzag Fri 18-Jul-14 23:39:58

I don't get it either, it's the way he talks, as an adult that's pretty much up to him (unless he's swearing in front of the DC or using a baby voice)

It just sounds like a more relaxed conversational style, why would he talk in a formal way when you're chatting at home.

Do you find yourself correcting his grammar a lot?

How does he take that?

AgentZigzag Fri 18-Jul-14 23:41:01

I was concerned there was a baby voice too MrsW grin

That would be outrageous, and a great drip feed.

bughunt Fri 18-Jul-14 23:43:26

Is he from Somerset?

PupInBoots Sat 19-Jul-14 00:01:51

Haha bug, no - it would be acceptable if so.

It is in a silly voice, particular the I do love you I do complete with puppy dog eyes

MrsWinnibago Sat 19-Jul-14 00:03:15

Agent

I do wuv oo.

Was oo wantin a cuppa tea?

I did wike da fiwm I did.

Is it like that OP? grin

bughunt Sat 19-Jul-14 00:03:29

Yack. Definitely tell him to pack it in.

AgentZigzag Sat 19-Jul-14 00:08:05

Sometimes people who use a ridiculously stupid voice are doing it because they're finding what they're saying difficult to say. Maybe because they're embarrassed/don't mean it/feel pressured into saying it.

AgentZigzag Sat 19-Jul-14 00:11:14

If he is how MrsW has described (<3 u 2, <3 1 pls, just watched Pineapple Express grin) YWNBU to punch his lights out OP.

You can tell the police MN told you to do it, they'll be fine smile

ConstableOdo Sat 19-Jul-14 02:43:58

'Sometimes people who use a ridiculously stupid voice are doing it because they're finding what they're saying difficult to say. Maybe because they're embarrassed/don't mean it/feel pressured into saying it.'

What?!!

AgentZigzag Sat 19-Jul-14 02:48:42

I only said sometimes ConstableOdo (love him to bits)

It's not the God's honest truth for all of mankind grin

Hmm... Mine does similar, but I really don't mind it. Oh god, I don't envy you if you feel you have to bring it up with him. Mine does some very odd things with words. Today we went for a paddle at the beach, and he went off to look in the rock pools for 'cribbles' hmm those are crabs in case it's not obvious. I occasionally think wtf? but actually it's rather sweet. Can you get past it?

tinofbeans Sat 19-Jul-14 06:52:21

Could you explain that he should talk properly so your DCs will learn to do the same?

DH only ever called ducks 'quack quacks' once.. shock angry grin

temporarilyjerry Sat 19-Jul-14 06:57:28

Married to Yoda, you do be.

shushpenfold Sat 19-Jul-14 07:01:35

Howling with laughter here......now imagining Yoda with a Somerset accent!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now