Can i leave my spoilt dc at home

(136 Posts)
Lestagirl Fri 18-Jul-14 23:04:33

Due to goves policies on school attendance we've had to lower our sights on holiday. We got away this year on the fact it was pre booked prior to the rule changes.

So we've booked a cheap deal to Spain next year and they are kicking up a fuss, I want to leave them behind. Ungrateful sods.

LastTango Fri 18-Jul-14 23:17:33

Your 'cheap' might be someone else's dream !

bughunt Fri 18-Jul-14 23:22:02

What kind of holiday are they used to?

Lestagirl Fri 18-Jul-14 23:24:43

Which is why I want to leave behind. I'm angry at both dds comments. They don't realise how fortunate they are. Cheap is a similar priced holiday to butlins.

wigglesrock Fri 18-Jul-14 23:25:14

How old are they?

Lestagirl Fri 18-Jul-14 23:26:28

They are used to holiday villages, they are having cheapest Spanish hotel possible. I'm ashamed by their snobbishness.

TidyDancer Fri 18-Jul-14 23:27:25

Depending on the comments and the age of the DCs, then you could well be reasonable to cancel. What have you been doing up until now that makes them dislike the idea of Spain?

ChoccaDoobie Fri 18-Jul-14 23:27:33

They are really lucky to be getting away on holiday. So many people can't afford to do even that. I understand why you feel annoyed at that reaction.

bughunt Fri 18-Jul-14 23:28:59

How have you sold it to them?

I just tell my kids we're going to Spain, or wherever. They wouldn't know cheap from 5 star. Especially before we got there.

pictish Fri 18-Jul-14 23:30:50

What's a holiday village? Is it different to a resort?

Yanbu - lucky them to be going anywhere at all!

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 18-Jul-14 23:34:02

I agree, I'd tell them if I cancelled their places I could upgrade so carry on and dare me to press the button.

Lestagirl Fri 18-Jul-14 23:34:21

The eldest is starting her gcses in September. So it's not practical to take her out of school. So I've took advantage of our slightly different holiday times to try and get them abroad.

One wanted the canaries, the other wanted Balearics. Both were out of our budget. I'm embarrassed by them.

Mylovelylovelyhorse Fri 18-Jul-14 23:37:57

Take them camping. In wales.

wigglesrock Fri 18-Jul-14 23:42:34

So your eldest is 15ish? I'd cancel, "sorry can't afford it next year", no discussion.

NickiFury Fri 18-Jul-14 23:44:32

I wouldn't take them anywhere with those attitudes, I really wouldn't.

elQuintoConyo Fri 18-Jul-14 23:46:43

You do know that if you go to Magaluf/Tossa/Salou, you don't have to actually stay there all the bloody time,don't you? You don't have to spend every afternoon in the Red Lion watching Sky Sports with a cup of Tetleys tea!

I must go and tell my Spanish friends and neighbours what an awfully embarassing country they have hmm

In all honesty, I'd cancel all holidays, cheap or not. Go buy yourself a nice frock instead grin

Lestagirl Fri 18-Jul-14 23:48:50

We've already booked. So we'd lose our deposit and our holiday. But why should dc dictate our holiday. The Costa Blanca isn't that bad surely.

wigglesrock Fri 18-Jul-14 23:51:12

Costa Blanca is lovely, but I wouldn't be taking children of that age with that attitude on holiday.

pictish Fri 18-Jul-14 23:51:14

We spent two weeks camping in Wales two years ago...was bloody fantastic. Snowdonia is breathtaking. Don't knock it.

Lestagirl Fri 18-Jul-14 23:54:11

That's my point. We've done salou, we've been to Palma. We try our hardest for them.

Oh and I love snowdonia. Had some nice times there.

NickiFury Fri 18-Jul-14 23:54:47

I've never really got the snobbery over Spain. I think it's a beautiful place. Fantastic food if you go to the Spanish places but the English places aren't bad either because it's so competitive out there. Amazing beaches and scenery. Short flight away and relatively affordable.

You know the only thing wrong with Spain? Some of the British tourists that go there.

Lestagirl Sat 19-Jul-14 00:01:37

Nickifury, can I borrow your name,

But you are right, same as everywhere, British can give a place a bad name.

bughunt Sat 19-Jul-14 00:01:46

What is it about Spain that they say they don't like?

Lestagirl Sat 19-Jul-14 00:06:40

I wish i knew, they have done costa dorada and majorca(twice) in the last 3 years and loved it. So why are they against benidorm apart from snobbery.

I see water park, zoos and the old town.

bughunt Sat 19-Jul-14 00:12:01

I wouldn't take them. Take your A/L in term time and have yourself some lovely days out while they're in school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now