about the couple who 'should' have been on flight MH17?

(125 Posts)
JaneFonda Fri 18-Jul-14 12:34:34

In the news, the British couple and their baby who swapped off flight MH17 to take another one instead.

In the interview, they said that 'someone must have been watching over them'.

AIBU to find this incredibly disrespectful? I feel so angry that they are suggesting that 'someone' or a God or something was watching over them, but not over the 298 people who died.

JenniferJo Fri 18-Jul-14 12:36:02

Of course it's disrespectful but they are in shock and not thinking straight. YABU and a bit unsympathetic.

RobinSparkles Fri 18-Jul-14 12:36:59

I'm sure they didn't mean any offence.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 18-Jul-14 12:37:24

Don't be ridiculous. They have just cheated death. It's totally reasonable for them to feel that if its their belief.

JaneFonda Fri 18-Jul-14 12:37:33

I have sympathy for the family and friends of the people who died... not sure how I'm being unsympathetic!

NynaevesSister Fri 18-Jul-14 12:37:47

It's just shock. Ordinary people thrust into the limelight having to answer questions after they've just had a huge scare.

Of course that's not what they meant and 99.9% of people reading those words will understand what they really meant and not judge them for it.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 18-Jul-14 12:37:57

Don't be ridiculous. They have just cheated death. It's totally reasonable for them to feel that if its their belief.

I don't think people really think about what they're saying tbh. They mean "We're so lucky" but it's become one of those vaguely 'woo' things to talk as if 'someone' made it happen.

But yeah, if that someone had the power to change things, he/she/it/they might have been better using their power to stop the idiots from shooting at it instead.

Nirvana1979 Fri 18-Jul-14 12:38:05

It's just something people say. I doubt they meant it to be disrespectful. It must be terrible knowing you could've been on that plane but my God what an utter relief.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 18-Jul-14 12:38:08

ObfusKate Fri 18-Jul-14 12:38:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Fri 18-Jul-14 12:39:07

They were in total shock.

Pretty impressed they could string a sentence together at all..!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 18-Jul-14 12:39:48

I can understand why they might feel that way & I am sure they are not trying to suggest that they were somehow more worthy of "being watched over" than any of the other poor passengers.

YANBU that it probably could be viewed as offensive by the family & friends of the deceased though.

PersonOfInterest Fri 18-Jul-14 12:39:53

Insensitive maybe. Disrepctful? No.

sonlypuppyfat Fri 18-Jul-14 12:40:05

Have you never said the wrong thing, must be awesome to be perfect.

Yes, I'm sure they were deliberately being offensive towards the people that died, who wouldn't be thinking of ways to offend people when they're in shock.

ObfusKate Fri 18-Jul-14 12:40:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 18-Jul-14 12:40:43

Sorry for the repeats. blush

Vintagejazz Fri 18-Jul-14 12:40:56

It's a commonly used expression in situations like that. I think you're overanalysing it a bit.

gamerchick Fri 18-Jul-14 12:41:13

I think they can be excused for not thinking about the million different ways people can take offence over words before answering questions on a situation they wouldn't have dreamed of in a million years.

Staryyeyedsurprise Fri 18-Jul-14 12:41:18

Agree with ObfusKate

MidniteScribbler Fri 18-Jul-14 12:44:03

Because everyone in stressful situations just automatically knows how to say the perfect thing with no media training, especially with rabid journalists shoving cameras in their face looking for a quote. Right?

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 18-Jul-14 12:44:09

It's just a turn of phrase. And they didn't say God they could've meant the ghost of Aunty Susan or something, who would've had reason to watch over them, but not the other people.

It does annoy me when people thank God when they accept an award though.

NoodleOodle Fri 18-Jul-14 12:45:19

If you have illogical beliefs, you are more likely to say illogical things.

JaneFonda Fri 18-Jul-14 12:46:33

Alright, I've been well and truly told IABU!

I perhaps shouldn't have focussed on this couple, that was wrong, but I do stand by finding it disrespectful when people suggest that God is looking out for them, eg. when they win at football, as though they are so special yet God allows innocent people to die terrible deaths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now