To think I've had the harder week this time

(23 Posts)
Tholeonagain Sat 12-Jul-14 15:23:02

Firstly, I know this is a first world dilemma. I know how bloody lucky we are, I really, really do. However... This week Dh has been abroad for work on a week long leadership course. There have been a few. This one seemed to involve, amongst other things, a cooking challenge and pretending to be a dog in order to enhance emotional intelligence. He flew business class and stayed in a posh hotel for the duration. I have been at home dealing with a stroppy four year old, a non sleeping baby with a vomiting bug, a broken washing machine, a blocked toilet and a disgusting amount of fox poo in the garden. I am not asking if I should leave the bastard. He isn't one. And as I said I know how lucky I am really, most of the time. Just this week I win, surely?

CoffeeTea103 Sat 12-Jul-14 15:31:41

Why are you competing with your DH?

Petitgrain Sat 12-Jul-14 16:07:49

What is this actually about?

PinkyHasNoEars Sat 12-Jul-14 16:10:21

It does sound like a crappy week. What would you like to "win"? Time to yourself? Lie in?

Ask for what you'd like.

londonrach Sat 12-Jul-14 16:13:40

Didn't realise we had to have competitions for bad weeks with ohs. Am I missing something. Op you win this week.... What you going to do to win next week and wants the reward. I think a lie in tomorrow is the reward.....breakfast in bed.....

DoJo Sat 12-Jul-14 16:17:41

It does sound like you have had a tough week, but your post suggests that you feel as though this entitles you to something that your husband is denying you. Is he claiming that he needs a lie-in/child-free time/a break or are you just wanting some sympathy?

Pipbin Sat 12-Jul-14 16:24:37

pretending to be a dog in order to enhance emotional intelligence

What the actual fuck?

Calloh Sat 12-Jul-14 16:25:19

I get it. You totally win.

Sometimes it feels like the dreadfulness of one week isn't acknowledged as everyone does their bit. Is that how you feel?

My week has also involved a copious amount of vomit and a recalcitrant 4 year old. I hear you sister!

I was telling DH how hideous it had all been compared to his nice air-conditioned office and he was saying it wasn't a competition and I agreed it wasn't but if it had been I would be Germany and he would be Brazil but then we thought maybe the reverse would be more apt and then it got so damn confusing I vowed to never bring football scores into marital pity parties. It just doesn't work.

Anyway, your week sounds grim OP and I hope next week is better! Competitive drudgery is difficult to resist sometimes

MoonRover Sat 12-Jul-14 16:27:11

Blimey let's attack the OP.

OP clearly you are some class of evil bastard hellbent on staging the tiredness olympics within your marriage, possibly involving violence and sharp pointy torture devices and death.

Or, or or OR just maybe, this is a lighthearted thread?

In which case, perhaps we are all entitled to have a moan about being tired. And wouldn't it be nice if we could respond in a supportive, humorous, sympathetic sort of way, instead of playing amateur psychologists and making snide remarks about someone else's marriage.

Sheesh.

And yes, wtf about the dog?
omg has your dh been part of some twisted George Galloway/Rula Lenska pretendy cat-licking-milk scenario? LTB!

Tholeonagain Sat 12-Jul-14 17:03:01

Hmmm... Mainly a light hearted whinge. In particular I guess I want him to notice and appreciate. He is back but so knackered from flying through the night he may as well not be.

But also I guess the thought of a week's intellectual and personal development (maybe not involving dog acting..) in a posh hotel sounds like actual heaven to me at the moment. I am always, always with small children. Mostly I do love it but I wish there was scope for a bit more balance. With his long hours, my earning potential compared to his and lack of family around, there just isn't, if we look at what is best for everybody.

MoonRover Sat 12-Jul-14 17:21:22

I too would go for a week of posh hotel and personal development etc and tbh I'd pretend to be a unicorn with piles and twitch if it meant someone else cooking my dinner and making my bed.

FourEyesGood Sat 12-Jul-14 17:25:39

His week sounds awful! Travelling and being away from home are really tiring, and any kind of training is exhausting (the dog thing sounds terrible!). But yes, your week sounds tough in different ways.

StoorieHoose Sat 12-Jul-14 17:28:23

Think you are getting a hard time cos you posted in aibu. If you had posted in chat you wouldn't have had the same response

LuisSuarezTeeth Sat 12-Jul-14 19:25:03

The grass is always greener and all that. You've both had a tough week.

May I present you both with a "Shit Week" award?

In fairness though I'd prefer to gouge out my own eyeballs than do the dog thing grin

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Sat 12-Jul-14 19:35:28

I too would prefer to do fox poo than the dog thing.

Youoryou Sat 12-Jul-14 19:35:31

This week Dh has been abroad for work on a week long leadership course. There have been a few

Is it actually a work thing? hmm

Euphemia Sat 12-Jul-14 19:38:28

I'd rather be at home than away on some work thing run by wankers who think I need shit like "ice-breakers" and "team-building" to be able to communicate with my colleagues and do my job.

Being away on business is not a paid holiday - it's fucking shit as you're away from home with arseholes and wankers. I've spent some miserable times in some stunning locations, away on business.

YABU.

Bogeyface Sat 12-Jul-14 19:39:47

Its not about who had the tougher week is it? Its about someone saying "I know you have had a shit week, would you like a lie in/G&T/dirty weekend/full staff including 24/7 rota'd nannies?"

Its about being appreciated, rather than just walking in after a weeks jolly and taking up where you left off.

Marylou2 Sat 12-Jul-14 19:50:02

Of course you've had the worst week OP.If your husband had actually enhanced his emotional intelligence he wouldn't have told you half of this.Take my recent work trip to Mexico, boring day watching PowerPoint. was related to DH in detail, evening in fancy restaurant enjoying lobster and tequila hardly mentioned. DH does the same when he's away.

SquigglySquid Sat 12-Jul-14 19:51:27

You win!! grin

SquigglySquid Sat 12-Jul-14 19:53:48

I'd rather be at home than away on some work thing run by wankers who think I need shit like "ice-breakers" and "team-building" to be able to communicate with my colleagues and do my job.

Yes, I hate team building exercises. You know what helps me get along with my coworkers? Clearly defining our jobs so I don't have to sit there doing the run around trying to figure out who's doing what so I can get shit done on time.

Just saying. smile

redskybynight Sat 12-Jul-14 19:54:29

As my DH always says when he is away for work and I am left with everything house and child related and fancy a moan.

"at least you get to spend the time with people you love and who love you"

I think they are different kinds of awful.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 12-Jul-14 19:54:34

you have definitely had the shittiest week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now