to wonder why people shop at Amazon?

(168 Posts)
poppytripll Sat 12-Jul-14 09:29:06

Starbucks and the other well known tax dodging companies? If we need more money to pay teachers properly, fund the nhs etc then surely if we supported retailers that pay UK tax it may help? I don't buy coffee much but I use Costa if I do, as it's part of a British company that pays tax.

I also shop in Sainsbury or Waitrose because they pay UK tax as opposed to Aldi and Lidl. I'm probably over simplifying this so please tell me if iabu!

Chippednailvarnish Sat 12-Jul-14 09:32:40

It's cheap.

CarolineWheatley Sat 12-Jul-14 09:34:41

It's convenient.

Fairylea Sat 12-Jul-14 09:36:21

As above.

alleypalley Sat 12-Jul-14 09:36:25

I don't use Starbucks because there is plenty of alternatives. There's not much alternative to amazon.

Fairylea Sat 12-Jul-14 09:38:14

If companies paid workers a living wage instead of a minimum wage people might give more of a shit about where they shop and the ethical economics of it all but until then and probably until ethical supplier reduce their prices somewhat people will choose the cheapest they can as they struggle to make ends meet.

They obey the tax rules. If I want them to pay more tax here then I need to lobby for a change in tax rules really.

wineoclocktimeye Sat 12-Jul-14 09:38:46

Because its cheap and much as I would love to only shop in the right places, I just can't afford it.

Last Christmas, I did some research when buying my boys presents and buying the same items not from Amazon, would have cost me £62 more (on a total budget of £300) - much as I would have loved to, I just couldn't afford that.

If the price is the same,or nearsbouts, I will shop locally or elsewhere.

Bowlersarm Sat 12-Jul-14 09:38:50

You can get anything at the touch of a button, cheaply, with very quick delivery. It is obvious why people use amazon.

noblegiraffe Sat 12-Jul-14 09:39:05

They have everything and I barely have time to do food shopping let alone traipse the shops looking for the random stuff amazon sells.

Jengnr Sat 12-Jul-14 09:40:19

They might be an evil empire but they are extremely good at they do.

twofingerstoGideon Sat 12-Jul-14 09:40:35

The Book Depository prices are about the same as Amazon and they have free delivery. They are as 'cheap' and 'convenient' as Amazon, in other words.

Clothes made by children in the third world are also 'cheap and convenient'. Is that okay too?

It's amazing what people are happy to turn a blind eye to.

Chachah Sat 12-Jul-14 09:41:00

I see your point, but I can't blame people for choosing the cheap and convenient option.

It's not them who are unreasonable. What's unreasonable is the fact that these companies are legally allowed to pay little to no taxes to the UK.

I don't buy coffee at Costa because it's shit because I'd much rather buy from and support a small independent cafe than a big chain. Different from Amazon because IMO the product is better but we all make our choices....

twofingerstoGideon Sat 12-Jul-14 09:42:53

They might be an evil empire but they are extremely good at they do.

And for all his faults Mussolini made the trains run on time...

Fluffy40 Sat 12-Jul-14 09:42:59

We use amazon every week for something, it's brilliant. Why would you go anywhere else ?

twofingerstoGideon Sat 12-Jul-14 09:43:34

And yes, our tax laws need to change.

TheIronGnome Sat 12-Jul-14 09:43:40

The Book Depository is extremely good! I've used it a few times when amazon didn't have what I was after or when it's been cheaper.

Generally do use amazon though... It's cheap and convenient and I can buy and browse lots of different things all in one place. A bit like people using big supermarkets rather than smaller independant shops really.

twofingerstoGideon Sat 12-Jul-14 09:44:10

We use amazon every week for something, it's brilliant. Why would you go anywhere else ?

Because you have principles?

PhaedraIsMyName Sat 12-Jul-14 09:44:39

I don't shop there nearly as much as I did. Not actually for the tax reasons. I've only bought books and CDs but now rarely buy these other than on physical shops.

FliptheThread Sat 12-Jul-14 09:45:08

Amazon own The Book Depository twofingerstoGideon

drudgetrudy Sat 12-Jul-14 09:45:23

Yes, because people are lazy and its convenient and they turn a blind eye
(that includes me).
You have pricked my conscience a bit-I will take a look at the Book Depository.
Aldi and Lidl- because they are cheap and many people can't afford Waitrose.

schlooby Sat 12-Jul-14 09:46:56

I'm fairly certain that Amazon bought The Book Depositorysad

I'm annoyed with Amazon because they have just cancelled an order I made a week ago as 'undeliverable' even though it's not due to be delivered til Monday and tracking shows it never got closer than 100miles away from my house angry

drudgetrudy Sat 12-Jul-14 09:47:23

|Cross posted-The Book Depository no different then. Any suggestions for "one click" ethical shopping at a reasonable price?

Bowlersarm Sat 12-Jul-14 09:47:31

Personally I don't feel the need to have principles against a company acting within the law. Apologies if it offends, but I will keep using amazon. Starbucks rarely, but I won't avoid on principle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now