To ask for compensation?

(33 Posts)
JellyStrawberries Fri 11-Jul-14 17:22:53

I bought a Boden dress the other week - it's white with big blue spots. I got caught in the rain and where my back and shoulders got wet, the blue dye has run onto the white nursing vest and bra I was wearing underneath.

Boden have refunded the dress and given me free postage to return it. However, my one and only nursing bra that fits and my only white double layer nursing camisole have big blue patchy stains all over.

I've got Dylon Colour Run Remover but it requires the clothes to go in the washing machine and the bra is handwash only. The vest is still stained after using the Dylon.

I'm pleased to be able to return the dress and have it refunded, but would I be cheeky to ask for compensation for the ruined items? Like for like replacements would cost £54 and I've spent another £4 on the stain remover so I'm really out of pocket. The bra was brand new but I've had the vest since bfing my first baby three years ago. If it's not unreasonable to ask for Boden to contribute towards the cost of replacing them, how much should I ask them for and how should I phrase it? I'm in email correspondence with them about the issue already and I have always found their customer service excellent. But I don't have £50+ to spend on replacing the vest and bra and they are pretty essential items in my wardrobe!

(Sorry for the dull nature of this AIBU btw!)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 11-Jul-14 17:26:29

I would say YANBU to ask at all! I would ask for the full replacement cost of the bra and vest, and for the stain remover you tried.

Any additional for emotional distress etc would be taking the piss though...

JellyStrawberries Fri 11-Jul-14 17:36:19

Haha, I have not been emotionally distressed!

SiennaBlake Fri 11-Jul-14 17:37:09

Did you wash it before wearing? If not, yabu.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 11-Jul-14 17:43:47

Seriously? Does anyone past the newborn stage wash new clothes before wearing? If it was required there should be a warning label like with jeans that warn of dye transfer. I would never even consider the possibility that the dye in an item of clothing would run in the rain!

SiennaBlake Fri 11-Jul-14 17:45:52

It's common sense that bright clothes might have excess dye in them from manufacture. It's not much of a leap from that to guess they might run in the rain.

KissMyFatArse Fri 11-Jul-14 17:45:52

So your bra is dyed? Does this mean you cannot wear it anymore ... Under your clothes??? Yabu

JellyStrawberries Fri 11-Jul-14 17:46:37

It didn't say to wash before wearing or that the colour may run in the care instructions so no, I didn't. If it had said this on the description of the dress online or on the label, I would have washed it but I don't do that routinely with clothes - perhaps I should in the future though.

JellyStrawberries Fri 11-Jul-14 17:49:32

kiss I am still wearing it under my clothes but as I'm breastfeeding, the straps are on show every time I unclip to feed and it looks pretty scruffy to have blue patches all over it. And it's not nice to have a pretty and new item of clothing spoiled even if it's not usually visible to the public.

Nyancat Fri 11-Jul-14 17:49:37

I would find details for the two items ruined and ask them to compensate for them to full value, say you are happy to.provide photos of staining or will send them at their expense. nothing ventured nothing gained!

mommy2ash Fri 11-Jul-14 17:51:23

the top is three years old and the bra goes under your clothes so hi still wearable. I wouldn't ask for compensation

magpiegin Fri 11-Jul-14 17:52:34

In theory YANBU at it ruined your underwear, in practice I would just carry on wearing it, but I'm a scruffy bugger and wouldnt give a shit if my nursing bra had blotches on it. Of course if it bothers you then of course go for it.

Bogeyface Fri 11-Jul-14 17:53:58

If the item specifially said that there is risk of the colour running and staining and to wash before wearing, then the OP would have done it. But I never wash new things before I wear them generally, I dont know anyone who does!

I agree with Nyancat, email them. Be short, factual, include photos of the items and say that you wish them to refund you the cost of replacements.

I got £60 from Tesco to replace a maternity dress that I had only worn once because my home delivery included bleach that leaked and I didnt realise until I pick the bag up and it completely ruined the dress. They happily paid me back, and I got to keep the dress which I dyed black!

TheCraicDealer Fri 11-Jul-14 17:58:37

Oooh, was this dress like a tea dress style with a nipped in waist? I nearly bought that!

I dunno, I'd be pissed off at the colour run but couldn't be arsed proceeding them for compensation to replace the bra. I'd probably just dye it black or in all likelihood just not bother and wear it anyway.

Chaby Fri 11-Jul-14 17:59:08

I think you should get something towards vest/bra from them, the dye should not have run in rain. I work for a large retailer and would definitely compensate in this situation.

Nomama Fri 11-Jul-14 18:01:52

Ask, they can only say no, in which case you are no worse off, or yes, in which case you can buy a new bra, dye the ruined one blue and be happy that for once the normal person is a winner.

Or something like that...

JellyStrawberries Fri 11-Jul-14 18:04:07

It's the Riviera shirt dress, craic and I own a few versions of it as I love it! None of them have ever run before!

I might try dyeing them both and I know the top is old - it's just a staple item that I wear all the time and I'll still have to replace as I can wear white with my other dresses whereas if I dye the top and bra blue they won't go with everything else...I find dressing whilst bfing complicated enough as it is!!

JellyStrawberries Fri 11-Jul-14 18:05:12

And yes, I will ask and see what they say as the worst that can happen is a no. I think opinion is split enough that I feel ok asking!

VivaLeBeaver Fri 11-Jul-14 18:06:51

I would ask.

My opinion of Boden is that they're quite a customer focused company so hopefully would be reasonable.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Fri 11-Jul-14 18:31:33

Jelly I think you would be perfectly reasonable to ask them for compensation.

The fact that some people wouldn't bother is irrelevant.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 11-Jul-14 18:40:58

I hate the compensation culture - but I would complain in these circs. NB I'd see it as asking them to pay for replacements, rather than compensation per se. So yes, the full amount of the items (or fair replacements) covered, plus the Dylon. And it would be fair for them to take the ruined items off you, but they would have to cover the postage.

slithytove Fri 11-Jul-14 19:33:04

Similar, I bought some coasters from tesco and they scratched my new coffee table. They paid for the repolish.

Just state the facts and ask for money to replace.

SistersOfPercy Fri 11-Jul-14 20:57:01

Mildly amused that the grey version of this dress is called 'Purple Rain', sorry OP, no help at all but it made me grin

JellyStrawberries Fri 11-Jul-14 21:01:52

That's brilliant, Percy!

TheSpottedZebra Sat 12-Jul-14 13:03:34

SistersOfPercy I am very amused by your name, and by the fact that you were amused by 'Purple Rain' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now