Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

To consider upgrading my engagement ring 8 years after getting married??

(78 Posts)
PisforPeter Fri 11-Jul-14 15:53:37

Has anybody else done this??
I was never too keen on my engagement ring, I didn't choose it & I thought it was on the smallish side.
Now we are better off hubby has offered to buy me a new one but I don't know what to do??
I would like to but is it a bit indulgent??

Strokethefurrywall Sat 12-Jul-14 15:45:51

Oh pull your judgy pants out of your arse Up

weegiemum Sat 12-Jul-14 15:50:00

My engagement ring is 9ct gold and Cubic Zircona - cost, I think, £24 in Ratners 21 years ago. I had a new wider band made when I hurt my hand and needed it cut off! (14 years ago) and I still wear it every day.

We could easily afford a new one but I really think it symbolises our relationship at the point we decided to spend the rest of our lives together, and it wouldn't swap it for anything! It wouldn't be my engagement ring if I got a new one. But then we never bought into the "spending a months salary" thing. Dh was a medical student and I was working in a care home saving before going to teaching college when we got engaged, so £24 was actually quite a lot!!

settingsitting Sat 12-Jul-14 17:48:58

I read somewhere on mumsnet that diamonds are now worthless. As in diamonds in their basic raw state. As so many have been mined.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now