WWYD

(18 Posts)
brokenhearted55a Fri 11-Jul-14 01:30:21

Awkward really.

Some of my colleagues are friends of mine on Facebook.
Since the recent hostility in Palestine / Israel, some have been sharing articles from certain Facebook pages.
Some of the comments on these shared posts make strong anti semitic comments such as: this is why Hitler killed so many but left a few alive just so we could see what they are like.....!

I find those comments deplorable. My colleagues didnt make these comments and I'm not sure if they are aware that those comments are on those shared posts. I feel very uneasy and I am tired of seeing posts like this on my feed.

We have a good working relationship and one in particular is very friendly with me.
What on earth do I do? Unfollow, unfriend, say something?

ObfusKate Fri 11-Jul-14 01:34:08

So these people have shared news stories on which other people have commented saying antisemitic things? I hope I'm never judged on the comments made by others on news articles I share with people grin Unless the articles are from antisemitic or otherwise shit-stirring Facebook pages, I don't think there's a problem.

ICanSeeTheSun Fri 11-Jul-14 01:35:54

I would just hide them, but my views on that person would change for ever.

brokenhearted55a Fri 11-Jul-14 01:36:26

That's the point. ....they are from shit stirring Facebook pages. The page itself is filled with posts with anti semitic and all other sorts of racist comments.

ObfusKate Fri 11-Jul-14 01:37:15

Well, obviously, people being antisemitic cuntwipes is a problem, but not directly for this working relationship.

Being Facebook friends with cleaves does sound a little risky, though.

Could you comment to the colleague that you were shocked by some of the responses left by others on the article she shared? Her response would be telling. She may not have realised nasty comments would show up.

ObfusKate Fri 11-Jul-14 01:38:14

Ah, posted before I saw your most recent post. If they're actually antisemitic pages, not just pages which attract antisemitic attention IYSWIM, then I guess you have a problem sad

ObfusKate Fri 11-Jul-14 01:39:00

With cleaves? With colleagues.

brokenhearted55a Fri 11-Jul-14 01:39:50

I could comment on the post. I cant imagine (from what I know of her) that she would support such comments but then do you ever really know someone?

ObfusKate Fri 11-Jul-14 01:42:21

I would probably mention it personally, not risk getting dragged into a Facebook spat. Wouldn't look good for anyone involved. Or you could just block them and change your policy towards friending colleagues - you might find out things about them you didn't want to know.

brokenhearted55a Fri 11-Jul-14 01:43:24

Oh sorry they are not blatantly anti semitic pages.
It is quite subtle but its the general tone of many of the posts and most of the people who subscribe have very rascist views.
My colleague never comments, she just shares.

ObfusKate Fri 11-Jul-14 01:46:08

No, I know what you mean about the subtle type of racism and antisemitism. It's insidious.

brokenhearted55a Fri 11-Jul-14 01:48:07

Ive not had a problem with being friends with colleagues before until recently.
This is the second time in as many months.

Last month a colleague posted a photo of a photo of someone on public transport she took without their consent. The photo was of a person with a disability and she was saying OMG look im trying not stare and pretend not to notice but.......
That got an instant block from me as she said it herself.

This one is more tricky as my colleague hasn't said it.

Yambabe Fri 11-Jul-14 01:49:28

Is it Britain First by any chance?

I have seen a lot of my FB friends post that they would unfriend anyone who repeatedly likes or shares their garbage.

Thankfully it appears that our mutual friends are not the offenders here cos I have rarely seen anything on my wall and when I do I just hide it, or occasionally report it!

Hide option, report button, if necessary a warning to the person or people concerned.I wouldn't hesitate to unfriend persistent offenders.

brokenhearted55a Fri 11-Jul-14 01:54:46

It isnt Britain First.
Its commenting on the Israeli / Palestine conflict and includes posts with anti semitic undertones.

I hoped people would guess the type based on this but it is selling itself as a Muslim news page.

FloatIsRechargedNow Fri 11-Jul-14 02:11:06

FFS - what has been happening in Palestine (for decades) is truly shocking. The UK is as guilty as anyone in the HISTORY of this situation. What I can not understand is how the Jewish People, the Survivors of the most Heinous Acts committed by humans towards other humans can not come up with a better solution than the hatred, death and territory-shite that' s going on now. I truly don't understand it.

And sorry but I seem to be a great 'thread-killer' so hopefully that won't happen now.

brokenhearted55a Fri 11-Jul-14 02:20:12

Im not trying to lessen what has happened in Palestine. But I wont condone deplorable racist and antisemitic comments.

I am asking wtf I do about a colleague who subscribes and shares from racist pages.
Jewish people arent the only ones that are targets on those pages my colleague subscribes too.

FloatIsRechargedNow Fri 11-Jul-14 02:31:48

Ignore the whole fucking FB thing and rely on your intelligence to find another way to sort it out. I'm a smarty but still I don't understand the Palestinian/Israeli problem. I wish I did.

brokenhearted55a Fri 11-Jul-14 02:48:49

Dont swear at me!

You're a smarty are you? Such an eloquent way to put it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now