To have just spent three hours working out 'Let It Go' on piano?

(70 Posts)
VolDEmortIsOnMyLaminateList Wed 09-Jul-14 20:43:17

That's three hours I'll never get back. Oh well...guilty pleasures! grin

Devora Wed 09-Jul-14 20:48:30

YABU. I could have sent you the sheet music if only you'd asked.

ICanSeeTheSun Wed 09-Jul-14 20:55:56

I think it's amazing that you can work it out to play it without sheet music.

MiloSimpson Wed 09-Jul-14 20:58:50

Are you me?? I spent 3 hrs last night playing different 'tunes' by ear .. working them out. Its frustrating but incredibly fun and rewarding.

stillenacht1 Wed 09-Jul-14 20:59:36

I spent an hour working out chords on ukulele to "Didn't we have a lovely time the day we went to Bangor" todaysmile Happy times smile

VolDEmortIsOnMyLaminateList Wed 09-Jul-14 21:00:42

I can read music, but can't get close enough while playing. That bloody twiddly bit has battered my head! Can you play it, Devora?

ElephantsNeverForgive Wed 09-Jul-14 21:01:32

DSIS used to work out Pop songs on a penny Whistle, I can't do it at all.

VolDEmortIsOnMyLaminateList Wed 09-Jul-14 21:03:29

Bangor? We sing Bang Her! And yep. Really rewarding! What's your 'Guilty Pleasure' to play on piano Milo?

VolDEmortIsOnMyLaminateList Wed 09-Jul-14 21:05:24

grin Elephants I do a mint version of 'love machine' on the accordion! blush

MiloSimpson Wed 09-Jul-14 21:10:51

I'm embarrassed to admit this but... Mika, Happy Ending (not hard but I love the track anyway as it's just fun) + I'm loving classical pieces.

I can read music but originally played by ear and frankly find it easier - although longer. Are you mentally shattered now or still on a high because you've finished learning it? smile

teacher54321 Wed 09-Jul-14 21:11:24

Highlight of my day was a frozen singathon with 120 hyperactive KS2 children! We raised the roof, and apparently the headmistress could hear us in her office on the other side of the school...!

DrSeuss Wed 09-Jul-14 21:14:11

Debora, please can I have the piano part for DS? Thanks

LornaGoon Wed 09-Jul-14 21:14:24

I worked out most of Simon and Garfunkel's back catalogue on the trebble recorder when I was a kid.Very niche.Oh how the cold winter nights used to fly by. grin grin

greenbananas Wed 09-Jul-14 21:15:05

Yanbu. Why are you even asking? Would you be asking if it was reasonable to spend the equivalent amount of time watching miss marple or whatever?

I can't read a note of music, but can play most ordinary tunes (pop songs etc) by ear if I spend a bit of time working them out. It feels good to be able to play the piano. It's a skill worth having, I think.

You don't need us to validate your sense of achievement, but well done anyway!

MiloSimpson Wed 09-Jul-14 21:16:38

I loved playing the recorder, treble and the other larger one! Flipping loved it. I'm guessing my neighbours probably wouldn't love it if I purchased one now though!

greenbananas Wed 09-Jul-14 21:21:12

Teacher, what is it about that frozen song? It seems to have captured children's imaginations in a way that is way beyond the musical merits of the song.

I know a number of children who can sing the whole thing, with intonation and gestures, all the way through note perfect. I am not a big fan of Disney, but am well impressed at the success of that song!

VolDEmortIsOnMyLaminateList Wed 09-Jul-14 21:22:48

grin at Miss Marple...I'm afraid it's Prisoner Cell Block H in our house!

I worked out the Tweenies theme years ago...bassline and all! grin

Isitmylibrarybook Wed 09-Jul-14 21:28:19

When you posters say you work out a tune on the piano, do you do the right hand as a line of single notes, and the left hand as chords? Do you try to get the bass line exactly the same as in the song - that seems really difficult to me - have never worked out how people do it, whereas the right hand single line you can generally eventually get after a lot of trial and error.

VolDEmortIsOnMyLaminateList Wed 09-Jul-14 21:28:44

Speaking of "Let it Go"...has anyone seen [[ m.youtube.com/watch?v=JfMBcIVU6Rw&feature=k This]] I WET myself!

greenbananas Wed 09-Jul-14 21:29:37

Ha! Now that you can play the Tweenies tune, I bet your children will want you to play everything on Cbeebies!

My favourite is Little Charley Bear - very fiddly bassline (cos I have butterfingers) and some great chords in the middle - try it, it's fun!

I'm not a fan of Disney at all, but even I have to admit that the film and especially that song is bloody amazing. I can't stop singing it, never mind the kids and I detest Disney. Our year 1s sang it at the summer fair, was fab, they all love it so much.

playftseforme Wed 09-Jul-14 21:31:19

V talented grin. I on the other hand cheated and bought the music!

morchoxplz Wed 09-Jul-14 21:32:36

My nemesis was Abbas Slipping through my Fingers on piano. Many wasted hours playing by ear. Can do a lovely All Creatures Great and Small theme and a nice Feed the Birds. Aaaaah :-)

VolDEmortIsOnMyLaminateList Wed 09-Jul-14 21:33:14

Isir I'm PS so have a very sensitive ear IYSWIM...I sometimes play the melody, but if I'm singing I don't bother. Chords etc I sort of break them up. I copied the LIG intro but varied the verses etc...part of the fun!

teacher54321 Wed 09-Jul-14 21:33:39

I also cheated and bought the music. And the DVD. And the cd. I am a frozen addict.

I am also too lazy to work things out on the piano unless I absolutely have to-I play the piano for HOURS everyday and teach songs all the time-I'm a sight reader rather than a brilliant player-by-earer so it's much quicker for me to have the notes in front of me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now