To spray a deodorant in the shop?

(75 Posts)
SublimeCorpse Wed 09-Jul-14 16:42:38

Just a tiny squirt, into the lid of the can to see if I like the smell?

Apparently IABVU and it's parents like me that allow their kids to do this that cause teachers to worry for the next generation shock

DurhamDurham Sun 13-Jul-14 09:37:48

I always get my deodorant from the back of the shelf for this precise reason....I assume the ones at the front will be half empty smile

A few years back I was in Next and picked up a spray and sprayed it into the air ( and on myself) . My friend started to laugh nervously and I turned around to find I had given the smart black suits on display a glittery effect...the spray contained glitter for some obscure reason grin

They should put the smell in the lid!

crumpet Sun 13-Jul-14 09:26:42

I have never seen anyone do this.

picnicbasketcase Sun 13-Jul-14 09:18:04

I buy the same one every time so I don't spray any, but if I'm getting DH one I sometimes do, because some men's deodorant smells like loo cleaner. Either that or like something a teenage boy would wear to attract the laydeez.

Scholes34 Sun 13-Jul-14 09:13:28

Unperfumed is theway to go. I completely went off perfumed deodrants when pregnant with DC1 and have never recovered. Unfortunately, the availability of unperfumed deodrants is on the decrease.

As for sniffing fruit, I always sniff strawberries . . . and they've been disappointing on the whole this year

AlpacaLypse Sun 13-Jul-14 01:56:34

I'm also very sensitive to spray perfumes etc. What I really hate is the way so many publicly available loos now have automatic air freshener squirters. I can't use the toilets at the leisure centre, Tesco or Pizza Express in our town.

BertieBotts Sun 13-Jul-14 01:56:32

It's no different to smelling all of the candles/bubble baths/shower gels. I've often gently squeezed a bit of shower gel to get it closer to the surface and accidentally got soap all over my nose, that's annoying blush

Tis great fun though, sniffing all of the products. Me and DS do it all the time. DH joins in with candles, he's a candle addict.

I agree it is slightly more unreasonable to smell spray products since you have to use some of it to smell it but I'm not going to stop doing it.

BertieBotts Sun 13-Jul-14 01:54:28

Sometimes I sniff the nozzle first in case you can smell it from there.

BertieBotts Sun 13-Jul-14 01:50:21

I spray and sniff, and I assume everyone else does too so I buy the one from the back of the shelf not the front as am skint.

You can't spray it in the lid either because if you spray it onto something solid so it condenses then it just smells of alcohol. Spray in air or on your own arm (not into a person though obv, that's just rude!)

But I don't think it leads to half empty bottles, that's ridiculous. Maybe a few sprays before someone picks up the bottle at the front. It's not going to shorten the life of the product that much.

Jelliebabe2 Sun 13-Jul-14 01:42:20

Everyone does this! Can't buy without knowing if its nasty! I have been a bit told off in Boots for doing something similar though!

Nomama Fri 11-Jul-14 17:47:48

Well! Talk about timely. I stopped off in the local greengrocers on my way home and was offered offered a quick taste of a few bits and pieces. Grapes were too sweet but the cherries were great. He asked what I though about the apricots, neither of us were impressed. I bought a mango too, as it was crying, so will be edible tomorrow.

Had I been in a supermarket I wouldn't have known about the grapes, and may have been told to step away from the mangoes as I inspected the 'eye end' for tears. I would never buy cherries from a supermarket as they are rarely edible, but these ones are really local - and so will have a very short season!

So, given this, I have no idea why anyone would buy some stuff without tasting it first. I'd hate to have got those grapes home before I found out they were really sweet. More wasted food in the food bin.

Absolutely no problem with it if the shops encourage it, but supermarkets don't therefore it's wrong. Don't recall ever getting a dud bunch either.

grocklebox Fri 11-Jul-14 14:42:41

I was just about to say that too. Deoderants and air fresheners bring on my asthma and I've actually had people standing next to me spray stuff in the air, which nearly landed me in hospital.

FreeWee Fri 11-Jul-14 14:40:24

I don't know why you wouldn't do this! How else would you know if you liked the smell? Which is the one reason you're buying it. It's not like crisps where you can guess you'll like sweet chilli or roast chicken. How do I know if I like summer fresh or lily mist? I wouldn't buy a perfume without smelling it so of course I'd do the same with a deodorant. I usually smell the inside of the cap but if that's not enough I have a squirt. I did it with sun lotion the other week as I wanted a non greasy one and couldn't afford to waste £8.50.

differenttoyou Fri 11-Jul-14 14:19:04

Can I just ask for those that spray products to have a little consideration for those that are sensitive to air born perfumes. I know that I am not alone in finding it very difficult to walk down some aisles in shops due to the amount of perfumes in the air whether deodorants, washing detergent, cleaning products etc. On occasion I've gone it to fits of coughing due to whatever is in the air.

Fixitagaintomorrow Fri 11-Jul-14 13:38:51

I do it all the time. The ones I tend to go for usually have a little tab that breaks the first time you spray it so I look for one someone else has already broken, test it and then find one with an unbroken tab to buy. They should have testers.

murphys Fri 11-Jul-14 11:51:32

Nu about the grapes either. Usually there is a box that is open for tasting though where I shop. I will not buy a box of grapes and then get home and they are sour and full of pips.

Nomama Fri 11-Jul-14 11:49:50

It used to be almost obligatory, WhoKnows. Real greengrocers would encourage you to have a taste, just as they do on market stalls still.

I either taste a single grape or I shop elsewhere, somewhere customers are appreciated. All that 'it's stealing' attitude has done is sent me back to real shops, local shops and markets. The chain supermarkets are crap at service and I very rarely bother any more.

Last time I shopped in supermarket I got asked not to sniff the pineapples. How the hell else do you know if you stand any chance of them being edible?

I've no time for grape thieves either. Just wrong.

Nomama Fri 11-Jul-14 11:30:32

NU I do it too.

And I always taste a grape before I buy a bunch. Manager in one supermarket had a quiet word and I told him that I was sick to death of buying nasty green grapes and he was gaining more than he was losing when I bought a bunch of grapes.

To keep him happy I picked a single grape from my bunch, after it had been weighed and added to my bill, and gave it back to him...

mumeeee Fri 11-Jul-14 10:50:09

YABU. I only test sprays if there is a tester bottle. I don't want to buy a deodorant and find that it's not full as other people had ben testing it. Yes you might have only had a little spray but if 10 people had done the same before you that will add up to quite a lot used. I don't think that the other customer was being unreasonable.

Fudgeface123 Fri 11-Jul-14 10:37:17

It's stealing and i can't believe how many people think it's ok!!!

murphys Fri 11-Jul-14 09:25:13

Yip I do it. I usually only buy Dove so I know what they smell like, but I do it to test that the spray nozzle works properly. I have had some that don't. wink. I always buy the one I have sprayed into the lid of though.

Anyway, its an unwritten rule that you always take spray deodorant from the back of the shelf... wink

Eminybob Fri 11-Jul-14 09:04:29

Exactly, the shop decides what they want testers/tasters of. In a deli it's different, I'm taking about pre packages goods. You wouldn't open a pack of biscuits in tesco and try one would you?
I don't understand why people think it's ok to do it with deodorant.

JimmyCorkhill Fri 11-Jul-14 08:58:17

Yes, spray the one at the front and buy the one from the back grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now