to be annoyed at the head teachers attuide?

(38 Posts)
Altinkum Wed 09-Jul-14 16:07:49

GP's booked our school aged children and us a holiday in Spain to see them get married. I asked for 3 days off school.

Friend in similar circumstances, except her sister getting married and requested 9 days off.

Mine were UA, hers were authorised.

Now I would understand and likely agree, if it were because my children had poor attendance, where not reaching targets, had behavioural/bad attitudes, poor social skills, etc... but they have none of these, they are doing above what is expected of them, ds1 has 100% attendance,(on stage 19 reading books) ds2 98.4% attendance (needed surgery, medical info given to school as care plan needed to be re-written) been given exceptional manner awards, and are both doing really well in school all round with no complaints all round.

her answer when questioning it, with friend by my side was because.............

SHE CAN!!! and then walked away and closed the door, me and receptions and friend

Altinkum Wed 09-Jul-14 16:08:41

ah bloody hell, closed the door on me, receptionist and my friend.

Sirzy Wed 09-Jul-14 16:09:44

i would say the unreasonable thing was authorising the 9 days off given they aren't allowed to unless very exceptional circumstances which a wedding isn't IMO

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 09-Jul-14 16:11:29

That takes the piss. How is 9 days approved and 3 days not, both for weddings. Wtf.

vestandknickers Wed 09-Jul-14 16:11:56

If your parents wanted your children at their wedding they should have got married in school holidays. School isn't optional. It isn't the Head's fault that they can't go to the wedding.

redskybynight Wed 09-Jul-14 16:15:48

When did you want the days off? There are certain times of year (e.g. start of school year, around assessment periods) where schools may be less happy for you to take time off.

If your friend has asked for the last 9 days before the summer break this may well be viewed differnetly to the first 3 days of the school year.

Altinkum Wed 09-Jul-14 16:16:11

The issue isn't about the HT decision (well it is a little, its her attitude that I am asking about).

Also why authorise 9 days and not 2.5 days.... my children are actually only missing 2.5 days of school (the last 3 days) the 2nd last day they are having a toy day in mixed year groups, and then if the weathers nice a game of rounder's, and then year end assembly, then last half day they are having a teddy bears picnic, and watching frozen.

mummymeister Wed 09-Jul-14 16:17:21

its a lottery some places give it and some don't. just on radio 5live a chief police constable writing to all the schools in his area asking if his staff can have blanket special status because he cannot cope with them all wanting leave at the same time. sorry vestandknickers disagree with you. it is the head teachers fault the sole discretion whether to grant leave as exceptional or not rests with the head. they took both decisions. bonkers piece of legislation we need someone like centerparcs or a company with govt clout to come out against it to get it changed. if the police get blanket exemption then what about fire service, nurses, doctors etc. it has to be changed and now.

redskybynight Wed 09-Jul-14 16:17:51

Is it to do the fact you've only just asked for the time off then? You've left it late to ask, presumably you've known about the dates for a while?

mummymeister Wed 09-Jul-14 16:20:39

why do schools need notice that you want to take the kids out of school. its not as if they need to provide cover like they do if you are working. or organise work for your child to take with them as many teachers tell us over and again on MN that they just don't do that. so what if there is no notice it makes damn all difference. you wouldn't be able to give notice of a terminal illness or funeral. asking for notice is just another bloody stupid excuse by head teachers. honestly this law is driving a wedge between parents and teachers. if they went on strike over this we would all be out there on the picket line.

Altinkum Wed 09-Jul-14 16:21:34

I asked for it 4 months ago, on the old procedure, the letter stated that unless we heard anything back, holiday requests would be authorised, ds came home yesterday with a letter saying it was UA. I didn't think to question it, as before we didn't need too.

Altinkum Wed 09-Jul-14 16:27:41

Just to clarify I don't blame the teachers, its law.

what I disagree with is why some HT can do as they wish, without giving a reasonable explanation, "because she can" isn't at all an reasonable explanation,

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 09-Jul-14 16:27:59

Your kids are starting to look a bit pale, I hope they don't succumb to a nasty bug the lAst week of term.... wink

WorraLiberty Wed 09-Jul-14 16:28:03

Where the 9 days authorised before last September?

annebullin Wed 09-Jul-14 16:28:07

Perhaps there are a few parents asking to go a few days earlier than end of term cos it's cheaper.

WorraLiberty Wed 09-Jul-14 16:28:42

*were

Altinkum Wed 09-Jul-14 16:32:02

No WorraLiberty, both of us handed them in 22nd April 2014, both got the reply back yesterday

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 09-Jul-14 16:32:03

Perhaps there are a few parents asking to go a few days earlier than end of term cos it's cheaper

Which is why cases need to really be looked at individually.

Totally understand why tarquin a week off so they can spend a month in <insert posh expensive location> might not be granted.

But unfair for little timmy who's parents never go awAy and grandparents surprised their hard up adult children by booking a week in Wales in a caravan which the kids would hugely benefit from.

WorraLiberty Wed 09-Jul-14 16:53:35

That's weird then.

I can't see how a sister getting married can be seen as exceptional but the Head obviously does.

littlejohnnydory Wed 09-Jul-14 16:56:10

Take it to the Governors?

Altinkum Wed 09-Jul-14 17:00:50

Im more annoyed by her attitude tbh, even if I didn't escalade it, what would it achieve, my children have another few years at this school.

UncleT Wed 09-Jul-14 17:01:11

The rights or wrongs of the decision are second fiddle in my book to the fact that 'because I can' is rude, unprofessional and no kind of adequate explanation. That reaction alone merits a complaint.

mummymeister Wed 09-Jul-14 17:54:51

yes OP take the matter up. rudeness whatever the question is never acceptable from a professional. I actually do have some sympathy for heads because this rule change will have more and more of them at loggerheads with parents. whats needed is a large well known company like centerparcs or a tory party donor company to complain and the law might actually be changed.

DogCalledRudis Wed 09-Jul-14 19:22:20

I think if teachers can strike, parents should strike too and stage a mass walkout in protest to this absurd law.

KeepCalmAndLOLKittens Wed 09-Jul-14 19:28:15

I think if teachers can strike, parents should strike too and stage a mass walkout in protest to this absurd law.

Here we go again - teachers striking bears no relationship to current policy on term time holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now